The races and music

What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character race that
would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical instruments.)

The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;

half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned heavy metal;

how about the rest?
--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
13 answers Last reply
More about races music

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:50:49 GMT, Matthias <matthias_mls@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character race that
    >would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical instruments.)
    >
    >The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;
    >
    >half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned heavy metal;
    >
    >how about the rest?

    Humans: Jazz
    Elves: Classical (Bach, Mozart, etc.)
    Half-Elves: New Age
    Half Orcs: Rock & Roll, rather than Heavy Metal
    Dwarves: Marching-band music, with lots of brass and drums
    Gnomes: Maybe big-band, or swing.

    --
    Erol K. Bayburt
    ErolB1@aol.com

    Matthias wrote:
    > What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
    race that
    > would fits its personality?

    Cute. Hmm...

    Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
    Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
    Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
    Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
    Dwarves: Blues
    Orcs: Death Metal
    Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Matthias wrote:
    > > What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
    > race that
    > > would fits its personality?
    >
    > Cute. Hmm...
    >
    > Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
    > Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
    > Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
    > Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
    > Dwarves: Blues
    > Orcs: Death Metal
    > Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth

    No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
    chant.

    Matthias wrote:
    > What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
    race that
    > would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical
    instruments.)

    > The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;
    >
    > half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned
    heavy metal;

    Humans - we run the gamit if you hadn't noticed. If I had to choose
    I'd go with the old tarzan themer
    Elves - Irish folk
    Halflings - Lounge
    Dwarves - Tycho
    Gnomes - Music of the spheres

    leaving the half-orc & half-elf off as they should be using whichever
    culture they are attached to.

    Orcs - punk
    Goblins - theme from alfred hitchcock presents
    Hobgoblins - marching music
    Bugbears - Gansta Rap
    Gnolls - Who let the dogs out
    Lizardmen - star wars degoba music

    - Justisaur

    Anivair wrote:

    > madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >
    >>Matthias wrote:
    >>
    >>>What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
    >>
    >>race that
    >>
    >>>would fits its personality?
    >>
    >>Cute. Hmm...
    >>
    >>Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
    >>Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
    >>Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
    >>Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
    >>Dwarves: Blues
    >>Orcs: Death Metal
    >>Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth
    >

    > No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
    > chant.

    Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
    They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
    Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.

    Orcs would also be drums. Lots and lots of drums. And rap.

    Elves would be Glam-Anything. And Musicals.

    Halflings: Twee Pop, 80's pop, Swing

    Gnomes: early electronica

    CH

    Mongrelmen: Tom Waits.

    - Ron ^*^

    Clawhound wrote:

    > Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
    > They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
    > Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.

    I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
    Barry White style. ;)

    -Will

    Anivair wrote:
    > madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > > Dwarves: Blues

    > No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
    > chant.

    Yeah, but chant's no fun. I was thinking of something workmanlike, down
    to earth (so to speak), and filled with experience. I can easily
    imagine a dwarven blues band playing to a raucous crowd in a
    smoke-filled tavern after a hard day in the mines.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Matthias wrote:
    > What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
    race that
    > would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical
    instruments.)

    I find the question as meaningless as what music style you would assign
    humanity. It largely depends on culture, which is usually
    campaign-specific, and there can be various cultures within a race.

    "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > Goblins - theme from alfred hitchcock presents

    A.K.A. "The Funeral March of the Marionette" by Charles Gounod.

    --

    Argentium Helm

    <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    <snip!>

    > Yeah, but chant's no fun. I was thinking of something workmanlike, down
    > to earth (so to speak), and filled with experience. I can easily
    > imagine a dwarven blues band playing to a raucous crowd in a
    > smoke-filled tavern after a hard day in the mines.

    Hmm. I wouldn't have thought of dwarves, being into country, but the
    thought of them slaving away in their mines brings to mind two ballads: "Big
    Bad John" by Johnny Cash and "Sixteen Tons" by Merle Travis. Of course John
    should be chopped down to 4 foot 6, and the references to St. Peter in the
    chorus of "Sixteen Tons" could be replaced with St. Cuthbert (but that would
    probably mess up the poetics or something...).

    --

    Argentium Helm

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Will Green wrote:
    >Clawhound wrote:
    >
    >> Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
    >> They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
    >> Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.
    >
    >I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
    >Barry White style. ;)

    Yes, opera seems like a logical choice for dwarves.
    I have absolutely no trouble imagining some dwarven clan gathering to watch an
    extended sixty-hour adaption of something like Rise and Fall of the City of
    Mahagonny. -_-;

    Jukka A. Lang wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Will Green wrote:
    >>
    >>I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
    >>Barry White style. ;)
    >

    > Yes, opera seems like a logical choice for dwarves.
    > I have absolutely no trouble imagining some dwarven clan gathering to watch an
    > extended sixty-hour adaption of something like Rise and Fall of the City of
    > Mahagonny. -_-;

    Hey, that +2 Con has to come in handy sometime.

    -Will

Music Style Games Video Games