Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The races and music

Tags:
  • Music
  • Style
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 3, 2005 3:50:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character race that
would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical instruments.)

The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;

half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned heavy metal;

how about the rest?
--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen

More about : races music

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:50:49 GMT, Matthias <matthias_mls@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character race that
>would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical instruments.)
>
>The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;
>
>half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned heavy metal;
>
>how about the rest?

Humans: Jazz
Elves: Classical (Bach, Mozart, etc.)
Half-Elves: New Age
Half Orcs: Rock & Roll, rather than Heavy Metal
Dwarves: Marching-band music, with lots of brass and drums
Gnomes: Maybe big-band, or swing.



--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matthias wrote:
> What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
race that
> would fits its personality?

Cute. Hmm...

Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
Dwarves: Blues
Orcs: Death Metal
Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth


--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro
Related resources
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Matthias wrote:
> > What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
> race that
> > would fits its personality?
>
> Cute. Hmm...
>
> Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
> Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
> Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
> Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
> Dwarves: Blues
> Orcs: Death Metal
> Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth

No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
chant.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matthias wrote:
> What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
race that
> would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical
instruments.)
>
> The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;
>
> half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned
heavy metal;
>

Humans - we run the gamit if you hadn't noticed. If I had to choose
I'd go with the old tarzan themer
Elves - Irish folk
Halflings - Lounge
Dwarves - Tycho
Gnomes - Music of the spheres

leaving the half-orc & half-elf off as they should be using whichever
culture they are attached to.

Orcs - punk
Goblins - theme from alfred hitchcock presents
Hobgoblins - marching music
Bugbears - Gansta Rap
Gnolls - Who let the dogs out
Lizardmen - star wars degoba music

- Justisaur
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:01:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Anivair wrote:

> madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>>Matthias wrote:
>>
>>>What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
>>
>>race that
>>
>>>would fits its personality?
>>
>>Cute. Hmm...
>>
>>Humans: Pop, Country, Rockabilly, Metal, Gospel
>>Elves: Trance, New Age, Classical
>>Drow: Opera, Industrial, Darkwave
>>Halflings: Klezmer, Folk
>>Dwarves: Blues
>>Orcs: Death Metal
>>Halfbreeds of any stripe: Punk, Alternative, Goth
>
>
> No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
> chant.
>

Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.

Orcs would also be drums. Lots and lots of drums. And rap.

Elves would be Glam-Anything. And Musicals.

Halflings: Twee Pop, 80's pop, Swing

Gnomes: early electronica

CH
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Mongrelmen: Tom Waits.

- Ron ^*^


Matthias wrote:

> What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character race that
> would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical instruments.)
>
> The halflings might be assigned Irish folk music;
>
> half-orcs, orcs, and perhaps the other goblinoids might be assigned heavy metal;
>
> how about the rest?
> --
>
> Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)
>
> "Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
> do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
> when they're out of their depth."
> -Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Clawhound wrote:

> Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
> They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
> Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.

I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
Barry White style. ;) 

-Will
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:40:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Anivair wrote:
> madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> > Dwarves: Blues

> No way, dwarves don't sing blues. I'd give them chamger music or
> chant.

Yeah, but chant's no fun. I was thinking of something workmanlike, down
to earth (so to speak), and filled with experience. I can easily
imagine a dwarven blues band playing to a raucous crowd in a
smoke-filled tavern after a hard day in the mines.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:27:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matthias wrote:
> What music style, modern or old, would you assign to each character
race that
> would fits its personality? (Ignore any need for modern musical
instruments.)

I find the question as meaningless as what music style you would assign
humanity. It largely depends on culture, which is usually
campaign-specific, and there can be various cultures within a race.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:26:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:1109877527.746000.56070@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

> Goblins - theme from alfred hitchcock presents

A.K.A. "The Funeral March of the Marionette" by Charles Gounod.

--


Argentium Helm
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

<madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1110166814.882924.154700@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
<snip!>

> Yeah, but chant's no fun. I was thinking of something workmanlike, down
> to earth (so to speak), and filled with experience. I can easily
> imagine a dwarven blues band playing to a raucous crowd in a
> smoke-filled tavern after a hard day in the mines.

Hmm. I wouldn't have thought of dwarves, being into country, but the
thought of them slaving away in their mines brings to mind two ballads: "Big
Bad John" by Johnny Cash and "Sixteen Tons" by Merle Travis. Of course John
should be chopped down to 4 foot 6, and the references to St. Peter in the
chorus of "Sixteen Tons" could be replaced with St. Cuthbert (but that would
probably mess up the poetics or something...).

--


Argentium Helm
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Will Green wrote:
>Clawhound wrote:
>
>> Dwarves are klezmer, ska, and big band. Think about all that brass!!!
>> They'd also be ZZTop Rock (the beards, dude!), 70's southern rock, and
>> Heavy Metal. Maybe even Marching Bands.
>
>I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
>Barry White style. ;) 

Yes, opera seems like a logical choice for dwarves.
I have absolutely no trouble imagining some dwarven clan gathering to watch an
extended sixty-hour adaption of something like Rise and Fall of the City of
Mahagonny. -_-;
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Jukka A. Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Will Green wrote:
>>
>>I dunno. I'd say opera. Imagine the bass voices! Or maybe R&B, soul,
>>Barry White style. ;) 
>
>
> Yes, opera seems like a logical choice for dwarves.
> I have absolutely no trouble imagining some dwarven clan gathering to watch an
> extended sixty-hour adaption of something like Rise and Fall of the City of
> Mahagonny. -_-;

Hey, that +2 Con has to come in handy sometime.

-Will
!