Sign in with
Your question

Turtle Beach: which one should I buy?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 19, 2012 7:11:56 PM

Hello!

I got stuck on two Turtle Beach headsets and I wonder which one I should buy.

The first is the "Turtle Beach Ear Force P11" for 53€
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets...

The Second is the "Turtle Beach Ear Force X12" for 59€
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headset...

An important thing is that the sound should be good.

you may give other suggestions!

Cheers!

More about : turtle beach buy

November 20, 2012 1:18:17 AM

Can't say I'm a fan of TB (I have a PX21, traded it out for a Siberia V2. Best choice of my life. Probably. I'm only 19, so I need breathing room on that.)

Anyhow, since you seem partial to TB, let me say this: They are known for audio quality, and between the two I think you're getting similar audio features. That said, from a headset point of view, I would definitely consider going for the P11.

There are a couple reasons for that:
1. The construction on the P11 doesn't have as many joints, and especially for headsets, this makes it seem like it will be a much more durable pick

2. The headband looks a lot "lighter". From a comfort perspective, that is generally much better ergonomically. Main reason I'm a huge fan of the Sv2.

3. If you're buying retail, GET THE REPLACEMENT PLAN if it is available to you. My family has been through most TB's in the span of 1-2 years. They aren't exactly the most durable headsets. That's also why I would strongly advise against the X12. With TB, I can guarantee that thing is just waiting to break on you.

The P11 also has the TB mixamp, which is probably my favourite part about the headsets. You get independent chat/game audio which it adjusts on a threshold to make sure the chat never gets drowned out too badly. It's also pretty easy to adjust volume on it the TB mixamps, which I like.

If you are interested, the Siberia V2 from Steelseries (from reviews I've read - I'm not a particularly discerning audiophile, so I couldn't say from my own experience) is supposed to have excellent audio as well, but I personally think it is infinitely more comfortable.

Anyhow, here's a link: http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-si...

They're also available in all sorts of funky colours. I have the Black/Gold one.
November 20, 2012 7:24:07 PM

Wow! thanks for the good reply!

The Siberia v2 is available for 57€ so I really think I'm gonna go for that one! :) 

One question though, how long have you had your SV2?
Related resources
November 20, 2012 11:53:12 PM

Probably two months or so now. After using the TB for the better part of a year, It's a blessing. I do have a larger head, but hey, you can probably get one via retail and give it a try. Always try what you can first is my best recommendation.

TB has good audio, as I've mentioned, but I loathe the way the headset feels with a passion. The earcups are either too thinly padded or too small, and the headband digs in like a SoB after prolonged use.

The Sv2 just floats, really. The suspension system looks a little weird, I know, but it's actually nothing short of brilliant. I would still get a replacement plan on it if available, simply since headsets seem to be that sort of creature (with TB's, it's a non-negotiable. You will break it within 2 years).

I would look at all the Sv2 offerings on Steelseries site. They also have one that comes with a cross-platform audio mixer, thus getting you what is probably the only feature I miss from the TB PX21.

3 of my friends make use of the Sv2 as well - I was torn with the Fnatic 7H edition for a while, but the headset just isn't as comfortable (though I love the colour scheme! Pity!) When my employer had a sale on the Sv2's (I'd have paid full price regardless, just enough to get me over the edge) I picked them up, and wouldn't think twice about doing so again.

As far as headsets go, I've had the personal pleasure of using the:
- Logitech Clearchat USB (Oh god, that was a long time ago!)
- TB Earforce Px21 (Great audio features; I got it on my brother's recommendation, but I forgot that he has spartan definitions of comfort)
- Steelseries 7H USB (Great sound isolation and quality, but that pesky headband digs in after a while. Still fairly comfortable though, and with the choice of foam or leather ear cushions)
- Steelseries Siberia v2 (All-round, the best headset I've owned to date. I might consider adding a Mixamp in the future as I really miss that part of the Px21, but the audio is still great. Note that sound isolation is just short of that "I can't hear myself, this is funky" level. You can still hear yourself and some environment through it, but I find that's generally a bit more natural.)

I was torn between the 7H and Sv2 for a while, so I got them both and tried them for a month. The 7H went back (technically, the Sv2 did as well, but that's simply because I could get it cheaper from my employer than Futureshop).

My apologies for the TL;DR. I'm not exactly a pro at the whole "brevity" thing.
November 21, 2012 12:25:04 PM

Thanks for another good reply! :D 

Using a Creative Fatal1ty Headset at the moment with only the mic working.

the sound of that headset were bad so I don't really care of em :)  one side stopped working within a month after using them

Still, Sv2 seems like a durable and high quality headset that will definitely be the number one on my list :) 
November 21, 2012 4:46:39 PM

Bofink said:
Thanks for another good reply! :D 

Using a Creative Fatal1ty Headset at the moment with only the mic working.

the sound of that headset were bad so I don't really care of em :)  one side stopped working within a month after using them

Still, Sv2 seems like a durable and high quality headset that will definitely be the number one on my list :) 

Damn, that sucks! I hate when things break down early like that. The other thing I like about the Sv2 is that it has an optional extension - the cord going from the HS is fairly short, but it comes with a 1.2m extension you can plug in. It's useful because my desk is always crowded with crud (2 27" monitors don't help xD) so I can just take the headset part out and put it on the hook I installed on my wall.

One thing I might mention as well, the one "weak" point of the headset, or at least, from pictures it seems that way, is the wiring for the suspension system. In reality, it's some pretty strong stuff, though I can't quite identify what it is.

If you're looking to save a bit, I'd recommend against the USB version of the Sv2.... I haven't noticed a tangible difference between one with a USB sound card and one without. Additionally, USB has a nasty habit of getting some faint static. That's happened with all my USB headsets, so analog 3.5 is a nice change.
!