bug: pits and monster creation

I was adjacent to a pit when I read a scroll of genocide. It ended up being
cursed and five grid bugs were sent in to attack me.

One of the grid bugs was generated on the same square as the pit. I
attempted #untrap and got the message that the grid bug wasn't trapped in
the first place.

I went into wizard mode, surrounded myself with pits and read a cursed
scroll of create monster. The monster explosion had monsters appear over
the pits and when I tried #untrap I got the message "The %monster isn't
trapped."

Bug? Intended behavior?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I was adjacent to a pit when I read a scroll of genocide. It ended up being
> cursed and five grid bugs were sent in to attack me.

You were genociding grid bugs?

> One of the grid bugs was generated on the same square as the pit. I
> attempted #untrap and got the message that the grid bug wasn't trapped in
> the first place.
>
> I went into wizard mode, surrounded myself with pits and read a cursed
> scroll of create monster. The monster explosion had monsters appear over
> the pits and when I tried #untrap I got the message "The %monster isn't
> trapped."
>
> Bug? Intended behavior?

I would expect this is intended behavior. It's perfectly possible to be
on a pit square but not in the pit, and it seems more logical that the
monsters would appear next to you and not 15 feet down in a pit.

Andy Johnson wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:

>> I was adjacent to a pit when I read a scroll of genocide. It ended
>> up being cursed and five grid bugs were sent in to attack me.

> You were genociding grid bugs?

I suspect he was trying out scrolls that were not BUC-identified.

When you encounter a random scroll of genocide, you might want to
genocide something harmless, in case the scroll is cursed.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>When you encounter a random scroll of genocide, you might want to
>genocide something harmless, in case the scroll is cursed.

I favour krakens, if my equipment is better than my experience level.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

"Andy Johnson" <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote in message

> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> > I went into wizard mode, surrounded myself with pits and read a cursed
> > scroll of create monster. The monster explosion had monsters appear over
> > the pits and when I tried #untrap I got the message "The %monster isn't
> > trapped."
> >
> > Bug? Intended behavior?
>
> I would expect this is intended behavior. It's perfectly possible to be
> on a pit square but not in the pit, and it seems more logical that the
> monsters would appear next to you and not 15 feet down in a pit.

the pits are that deep? gosh how are getting out of them?

I've seen a bat fall into a pit -that's gotta be a bug.

Ashe

Deleted member 3023

To: David Justiss
Re: Re: bug: pits and monster creation
By: David Justiss to rec.games.roguelike.nethack on Sun Mar 27 2005 05:30 pm

> "Andy Johnson" <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote in message
>
> > Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> > > I went into wizard mode, surrounded myself with pits and read a cursed
> > > scroll of create monster. The monster explosion had monsters appear over
> > > the pits and when I tried #untrap I got the message "The %monster isn't
> > > trapped."
> > >
> > > Bug? Intended behavior?
> >
> > I would expect this is intended behavior. It's perfectly possible to be
> > on a pit square but not in the pit, and it seems more logical that the
> > monsters would appear next to you and not 15 feet down in a pit.
>
> the pits are that deep? gosh how are getting out of them?
>
> I've seen a bat fall into a pit -that's gotta be a bug.
>
> Ashe

maybe not, bats can walk, and they are sort of near-sited.

Corey wrote:
> To: David Justiss Re: Re: bug: pits and monster creation By: David
> Justiss to rec.games.roguelike.nethack on Sun Mar 27 2005 05:30 pm
>
>> "Andy Johnson" <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote in message

>>> I would expect this is intended behavior. It's perfectly possible
>>> to be on a pit square but not in the pit, and it seems more
>>> logical that the monsters would appear next to you and not 15
>>> feet down in a pit.
>>
>> the pits are that deep? gosh how are getting out of them?
>>
>> I've seen a bat fall into a pit -that's gotta be a bug.
>>
>> Ashe
>
> maybe not, bats can walk, and they are sort of near-sited.

But they have echolocation!

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

David Justiss wrote:

> I've seen a bat fall into a pit -that's gotta be a bug.

I just tried it in wizard mode: created a room with only pits, then
created a bat and let it follow me around for a while. It never fell
into any of the pits.

Perhaps you are misremembering, and it actually flew down a hole?

--

David Justiss wrote:
> "Andy Johnson" <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote in message
>>I would expect this is intended behavior. It's perfectly possible to be
>>on a pit square but not in the pit, and it seems more logical that the
>>monsters would appear next to you and not 15 feet down in a pit.
>

> the pits are that deep? gosh how are getting out of them?

As has been brought up many times, scale in NetHack is not something
really worth thinking about. A newt fills the pit just as much as a
yeti. 15 feet deep seems about right to me; it's quite difficult to
escape the pits. If the pits were only as deep as I am tall, I think
they'd be quite easy to escape.

Is it any easier for a mumak to escape the pits than a dog?

Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote in news:d27ur0$53m$1
@joe.rice.edu:

> Is it any easier for a mumak to escape the pits than a dog?

I figure it should be since mumakil, elephants, pachyderms, etc. aren't
built for climbing out of anything. Of course this is getting beyond the
scope of my original post and I figure in the magical world of Yendor that
a mumak uses its trunk like an archaeologist uses his whip.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc,talk.bizarre (More info?)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Andy Johnson wrote:

>> Is it any easier for a mumak to escape the pits
>> than a dog?

> No it isn't. Isn't that the pits?

And there was my elven ranger, eTiny eTim, in a
room full of pits full of mumaks, their lifted
trunks swaying seductively in the dank drafty
dungeon, and before I could warn him of the
consequences of awakening any sleeping nymphs or
leprechauns, he bellowed out a rousing chorus of
"Tiptoe, through the Mumaks, with Me" and the
whole dungeon level was abuzz with unneeded
troubles. "DYWYPI?", I soon asked him.

Or so I immediately imagined when reading your jest.

xanthian.

YANI -- pachydermoids on pogo sticks, propelled
poppingly from pit to pit, pancaking
imprudent passersby.

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>>Andy Johnson wrote:
>

>>>Is it any easier for a mumak to escape the pits
>>>than a dog?
>

>>No it isn't. Isn't that the pits?
>

> And there was my elven ranger, eTiny eTim, in a
> room full of pits full of mumaks, their lifted
> trunks swaying seductively in the dank drafty
> dungeon, and before I could warn him of the
> consequences of awakening any sleeping nymphs or
> leprechauns, he bellowed out a rousing chorus of
> "Tiptoe, through the Mumaks, with Me" and the
> whole dungeon level was abuzz with unneeded
> troubles. "DYWYPI?", I soon asked him.
>
> Or so I immediately imagined when reading your jest.
>
> xanthian.
>
> YANI -- pachydermoids on pogo sticks, propelled
> poppingly from pit to pit, pancaking
> imprudent passersby.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:49:51 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
<kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> You were genociding grid bugs?
>
>I suspect he was trying out scrolls that were not BUC-identified.
>
>When you encounter a random scroll of genocide, you might want to
>genocide something harmless, in case the scroll is cursed.

I genocide electric eels, on the grounds that they're somewhat of a
pain if you're near water, but if you're not, they're easy experience
points.

Beth Friedman wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:49:51 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
> <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>

>>>You were genociding grid bugs?
>>
>>I suspect he was trying out scrolls that were not BUC-identified.
>>
>>When you encounter a random scroll of genocide, you might want to
>>genocide something harmless, in case the scroll is cursed.
>

> I genocide electric eels, on the grounds that they're somewhat of a
> pain if you're near water, but if you're not, they're easy experience
> points.

That's why you genocide krakens. Especially near altars.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Shadow wrote:

> That's why you genocide krakens. Especially near altars.

Near, as in "standing next to". Krakens are too heavy to lift, and I
doubt they can move on dry land.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>Shadow wrote:
>
>> That's why you genocide krakens. Especially near altars.
>
>Near, as in "standing next to". Krakens are too heavy to lift, and I
>doubt they can move on dry land.

It turns out to be the case that they can. Slowly, and randomly, but
they do move. (Just tested in explore mode.)

On 2005-04-03, Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> It turns out to be the case that they can. Slowly, and randomly, but
> they do move. (Just tested in explore mode.)

My experience is that if you are next to them, they will try to move away from
you (also slowly)- so you can kinda herd one toward an altar, by standing on
the other side of it from the altar and chasing it that way...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> On 2005-04-03, Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>It turns out to be the case that they can. Slowly, and randomly, but
>>they do move. (Just tested in explore mode.)
>

> My experience is that if you are next to them, they will try to move away from
> you (also slowly)- so you can kinda herd one toward an altar, by standing on
> the other side of it from the altar and chasing it that way...

Yeah, they do that because they're scared. They're always scared if
they're not on water.

They also lose one hit point for every turn they're not on water, unless
they only have one hit point left.

I doubt anyone will know what we're talking about (I had to go back and
search before I realized this was about krakens near altars).

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/