System Restore Failed To Restore (ComPlusStaging Error)

Zark_23

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I have tried a lot of things and I can't get system restore to work. I don't need to use it but I would like my computer to be working since there is no reason for this not to work. I just keep getting ComPlusStaging failed to obtain original copy from %systemroot%/registration all the time.

I also don't have a folder in C:/Windows called Registration if that matters.

If someone has a fix for this, please help me^^ I can't just let this go, must fix!

RealBeast

Titan
Have you run sfc /scanow in the command prompt window?

If you cannot fix the problem, after a reasonable effort, I would recommend a REPAIR INSTALL, which will leave your programs and data intact. If you cannot find or no longer have your installation disk (or have an old pre-SP1 disk, you can download a legit identical version from DIGITAL RIVER in the SP1 version and use your authentication key.

Zark_23

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Doesn't that remove some of my video drivers and codecs etc.? I have no use for system restore, everything else works fine, is it recomended? Note, I don't have the registration folder in windows folders and my other windows 7 pcs do. If I copy paste that folder from one to another, might fix?

scannow found no problems

RealBeast

Titan
If you have no use for restore, don't do it, I don't even have it turned on as it is a waste of SSD space and I clone my OS SSD periodically.

But then why are you trying to get it to work? And why must you fix it?

A repair install will only force you to reload Windows updates and it *shouldn't* remove custom codecs added through an install process if they are listed in the Programs control panel.

Zark_23

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Oh, Well I figure I have had no infections for 2 years etc., Why would it suddenly stop working? Like, what could cause this besides the only thing that I've done is install and uninstall software throughout the year. I just thought something is wrong with my Windows 7, Virus or something. I did scan and everything but restore is running perfect. I've googled and found tons of people with this issue but no fix except for repair. Do you think the folder I'm missing has something to do with it since it says systemroot /registration in error?

RealBeast

Titan
It is possible that you can fix it without a reinstall, but you cannot just copy files from elsewhere. If you want to try to fix it, turn off system restore, delete all current restore points and then reboot and turn it back on. Load a new small program so you will get a new restore point and see if it will load when you go to the backup and restore control panel and start a restore. It may just be corrupt restore points.

Zark_23

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I've tried all that and it seems no one has found a fix for it. Thank for the help. I guess it just stopped working or something. It's just weird there isn't a fix out yet for something that looks simple xD

There was a rogue copy of Windows 7 floating around about 6 months ago that contained this very issue. I won't go into details, since it's not relevent anyway, but if you are missing the Registration folder you may be dealing with a non-genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Something else that sparked my curiousity.....You have two (2) Windows 7 Ultimate installations.....I'm not pointing fingers or anything but something tells me they aren't legitimate because Windows 7 Ultimate (both retail and OEM) are high $$ installs.