getting rid of an arch-lich

have been sc..... by an arch lich.blasted him w/ magic missile then
suddenly he conjured up a minotaur.how do i get rid of him.dont have
any magic resistance yet.have mojo,ac -2 in minetown.
15 answers Last reply
More about getting arch lich

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >> king of yasd wrote:
    >>
    >>> have been sc..... by an arch lich.blasted him w/ magic missile then
    >>> suddenly he conjured up a minotaur.how do i get rid of him.dont have
    >>> any magic resistance yet.have mojo,ac -2 in minetown.
    >> If your experience level is low, arch liches shouldn't appear in Mine
    >> Town, and the one you met is likely to be a chameleon, which will turn
    >> into another monster, given some time.
    >
    > ...or it could be a polymorphed creature (polytrap levels and mintown
    > levels intersect at dlvl=8), or it could also have been a bones level.

    Also, IIRC, monsters will quaff !oPoly, or use /oPoly on themselves. The
    following spoiler mentions the wand but not the potion, but muse.c seems to
    indicate that monsters can use the potion as well.

    http://www.nethack.de/spoiler/32defense.txt

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

    Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
    >>
    >> Also, IIRC, monsters will quaff !oPoly, or use /oPoly on themselves.
    >
    > However, when doing so they'll only polymorph into level-appropriate
    > monsters, as opposed to the (almost) free range offered by other
    > sources of polymorph.

    Cool, I didn't know that. Is this also true if your character zaps a
    monster with a /oPoly?

    When you say "level-appropriate", I assume you mean to both the dungeon and
    character level, i.e. the same criteria for random monster generation?

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

    > No, only when a monster uses objects itself. I imagine the idea is to
    > prevent _utterly_ unfair polymorph incidents like an ex-goblin balrog
    > on DL 1; by the time you're in chameleon or polytrap territory,
    you've
    > at least had some chance to gain means of scouting ahead or fast
    > retreat.
    >
    > > When you say "level-appropriate", I assume you mean to both the
    > > dungeon and character level, i.e. the same criteria for random
    > > monster generation?
    >
    > Right, it's a rndmonst() call.
    >
    > --
    > : Dylan O'Donnell :

    ok ,YAAD was on xl 7 ,and hp of 75, with couple of hits got reduced to
    1,prayed and got back,but there was no escaping the minotaur.also magic
    missile had little effect on both the arch lich .and him so will have
    left a bones file there.any suggestions how to deal with these guys
    after.there are a couple of unicorns (gray,black)running around as well
    ,who had accepted gems.

    king of yasd wrote:

    > have been sc..... by an arch lich.blasted him w/ magic missile then
    > suddenly he conjured up a minotaur.how do i get rid of him.dont have
    > any magic resistance yet.have mojo,ac -2 in minetown.

    If your experience level is low, arch liches shouldn't appear in Mine
    Town, and the one you met is likely to be a chameleon, which will turn
    into another monster, given some time.

    I'm just not sure whether or not the lich will change form if you leave
    the level and come back later. If there is a timer for its next change
    that continues to run if you leave the level and come back later, you're
    lucky. If the counter only gets decreased while you're on the level, you
    should leave and not come back until you're much stronger.

    Alternatively, a ring of protection from shape changers might help.

    Of course, if you're high level yourself, it might be a real arch lich.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > king of yasd wrote:
    >
    >>have been sc..... by an arch lich.blasted him w/ magic missile then
    >>suddenly he conjured up a minotaur.how do i get rid of him.dont have
    >>any magic resistance yet.have mojo,ac -2 in minetown.
    >
    > If your experience level is low, arch liches shouldn't appear in Mine
    > Town, and the one you met is likely to be a chameleon, which will turn
    > into another monster, given some time.

    ....or it could be a polymorphed creature (polytrap levels and mintown
    levels intersect at dlvl=8), or it could also have been a bones level.

    Janis
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > >> If your experience level is low, arch liches shouldn't appear in Mine
    > >> Town, and the one you met is likely to be a chameleon, which will turn
    > >> into another monster, given some time.
    > >
    > > ...or it could be a polymorphed creature (polytrap levels and mintown
    > > levels intersect at dlvl=8), or it could also have been a bones level.
    >
    > Also, IIRC, monsters will quaff !oPoly, or use /oPoly on themselves.

    However, when doing so they'll only polymorph into level-appropriate
    monsters, as opposed to the (almost) free range offered by other
    sources of polymorph.

    : "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
    : -- A.J. Balfour :
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
    > Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
    >
    > > Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
    > >>
    > >> Also, IIRC, monsters will quaff !oPoly, or use /oPoly on themselves.
    > >
    > > However, when doing so they'll only polymorph into level-appropriate
    > > monsters, as opposed to the (almost) free range offered by other
    > > sources of polymorph.
    >
    > Cool, I didn't know that. Is this also true if your character zaps a
    > monster with a /oPoly?

    No, only when a monster uses objects itself. I imagine the idea is to
    prevent _utterly_ unfair polymorph incidents like an ex-goblin balrog
    on DL 1; by the time you're in chameleon or polytrap territory, you've
    at least had some chance to gain means of scouting ahead or fast
    retreat.

    > When you say "level-appropriate", I assume you mean to both the
    > dungeon and character level, i.e. the same criteria for random
    > monster generation?

    Right, it's a rndmonst() call.

    : "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
    : -- A.J. Balfour :
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    king of yasd wrote:

    > ok ,YAAD was on xl 7 ,and hp of 75, with couple of hits got reduced to
    > 1,prayed and got back,but there was no escaping the minotaur.also magic
    > missile had little effect on both the arch lich .and him so will have
    > left a bones file there.any suggestions how to deal with these guys
    > after.there are a couple of unicorns (gray,black)running around as well
    > ,who had accepted gems.

    Assuming for a moment that the lich is a chameleon and therefore only a
    temporary event; even then the other monster, the minotaurus, is real
    and far too tough for any character at this stage. The only possibility
    seems some instant death (wand of death, cockatrice,...), or to completely
    avoid to cross his path.

    If, OTOH, it *is* an arch lich - who would be able to teleport to you -
    there's also little hope if your character has not got MR and is weak.

    But you don't need to go into the mines, you may also skip it.

    Janis
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    king of yasd wrote:

    > ok ,YAAD was on xl 7 ,and hp of 75, with couple of hits got reduced to
    > 1,prayed and got back,but there was no escaping the minotaur.also magic
    > missile had little effect on both the arch lich .and him so will have
    > left a bones file there.any suggestions how to deal with these guys
    > after.there are a couple of unicorns (gray,black)running around as well
    > ,who had accepted gems.

    You've never clarified whether the arch lich is a chameleon
    or a real arch lich (highly unlikely). If it's an arch lich,
    don't mess with it until you have a reliable way to engrave
    or burn Elbereth in one turn.

    The minotaur is a different problem. You will need a sure
    kill like a cockatrice corpse or /oDeath or a well thought
    out plan. That might include changing your speed or the
    minotaur's along with a good ranged attack. Perhaps a
    boulder in a strategic spot and a big pile of rocks to throw
    at it. The minotaur won't respect Elbereth.
    --
    Wes
    The early bird may get the worm,

    On 3/28/05 6:48 AM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > If, OTOH, it *is* an arch lich - who would be able to teleport to you -
    > there's also little hope if your character has not got MR and is weak.

    Can't a chameleon-arch lich also teleport to you? I thought chameleons
    got whatever abilities were appropriate to their assumed form.

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
    "I was misinformed."
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Wayne wrote:
    > On 3/28/05 6:48 AM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    >> If, OTOH, it *is* an arch lich - who would be able to teleport to you -
    >> there's also little hope if your character has not got MR and is weak.
    >
    > Can't a chameleon-arch lich also teleport to you? I thought chameleons
    > got whatever abilities were appropriate to their assumed form.

    Yes.

    Re-read my first paragraph - and the inserted emphasis - which was:
    >> Assuming for a moment that the lich is a chameleon and therefore
    >> only _a temporary event_;

    So the point was that in this case being able to evade the Lich for
    a couple of moves might get you rid of this trouble.

    Janis
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    the arch lich was real not a chameleon,thats how he created the
    minotaur.since i didnt have any instadeath handy,only option was to
    goto wiz mode, which i dislike intensely.so got myself another nice
    little tombstone and probably a good bones pile.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Without giving any context, king of yasd wrote:
    > the arch lich was real not a chameleon,thats how he created the
    > minotaur.

    No difference. Even a chameleon changed into an arch lich would be
    able to create a real minotaur. That was also Kevin's point, BTW.

    Janis
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    it seemed like a real one ......too bad i yaad'ed before all the
    important posts.is there a better way to get rid of arch liches apart
    from engraving the E word.also is there a way to id the real and the
    chameleon arch liches.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1112218157.014910.100180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, king
    of yasd wrote:

    > it seemed like a real one ......too bad i yaad'ed before all the
    > important posts.is there a better way to get rid of arch liches apart
    > from engraving the E word.also is there a way to id the real and the
    > chameleon arch liches.

    Ring of prtotection from shape changers.

    --
    Panu
    "You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

Games Video Games