YASD -- too much luck too early

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I knew this rogue was going to die horribly almost from the start. BoH
on level 1. Level 2 had a large weapon shop that contained
Giantslayer. Not too useful, but artifacts just lying around are
uncommon. Not two rooms from that weapon shop I stumbled across Frost
Brand just laying around on the dungeon floor. Uh-oh I say to myself.
Level 3 had the single largest armor shop I've ever seen. That shop
contained an oilskin cloak, cloak of displacement, gaunts of dex, and
jumping boots. No speed boots though. Level 4 had a medium sized
general shop that had gaunts of power. Found another BoH on the way
down to mine town. Frost Brand was killing stuff in single hits, and
an elvish mithril coat brought my AC down to -1. Then I decided to
take a bit of a risk and go deeper into the mines. I wasn't intending
to try Mine's End just yet, though. Of course, I fell through a trap
door into Mine's End and before I can get the luckstone or find the
stairs an air elemental got me and destroyed me.

I don't know what it is, but the games where I don't find good gear, no
early wishes, no lucky equipment lying around, are the games I seem to
ascend. If I get a wish before xp level 5, I'm almost guaranteed an
ugly death. I think I tend to get over confident when the gear comes
easy and push myself too deep too quickly. Nethack has a way of
punishing over confidence. ;)

Thanks for reading!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Christian" <christian.nau@gmail.com> wrote in

> I don't know what it is, but the games where I don't find good gear, no
> early wishes, no lucky equipment lying around, are the games I seem to
> ascend. If I get a wish before xp level 5, I'm almost guaranteed an
> ugly death. I think I tend to get over confident when the gear comes
> easy and push myself too deep too quickly. Nethack has a way of
> punishing over confidence. ;)
>
> Thanks for reading!

Yeah murphy's law and pessimism have a large effect on the game. I had 2
games on a "lucky" day a couple days ago. First room first game, pet gets
killed by a falling rock trap and I get poisoned by a needle trap. The next
game the same exact thing happened AGAIN after just acouple of rooms. No
displacing pets into traps, or trying to disable the traps.