Thunderbird 1.3ghz - HELP

I just popped the 1.3 gig TBird into my ABit KT7-Raid.

Now, whenever I try to run 3DMark2k1 the comp locks solid somewhere around the medevial test (with the dragon, whatever the hell it's called).

I am running:

Abit KT7-Raid
Thunderbird 1.3 gig
256 MB Ram - Infineon 7.5 3/3/3
20gig x 2 7200RPM Fujitsus in Raid 0
GeForce 2 MX

I have the most current Bios from the Abit page.

Also worth mentioning I didn't have any problems running the program on the same system when I had the Duron 750 installed.

BTW, Cooling is provided by GlobalWin FOP-32 w/ Arctic Silver 2 thermal compound.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
8 answers Last reply
More about thunderbird 3ghz help
  1. I may be repeating a question here--but are you sure that board can support a 1.3? My first Athlon board (an EPoX Slot A) supported up to 800. Later hardware revisions of the same basic design (read, not a BIOS upgrade, but a hardware upgrade) would support up to 1GHz (I never got an updated board--I just jumped straight to a Socket A board when the time came). You may have the same situation with your Abit board...take note of the board's hardware revision.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
    init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  2. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but what version of the VIA 4-in-1 patch are you using, what wattage on your powersupply, is it AMD approved?

What version of drivers for the video card?

IRQ Sharing?

There are a set list of things to do before trying to do 3D programs on Athlon/VIA systems. I'ts not tough to do but it must be done or the system will not function properly.

Check out my rig:
    <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>
  3. it could also be the OS what are your system resources at after a clean boot?

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.
  4. I get the same problem whenever I use referance drivers later than 6.72. I have however got 7.62 to complete once and did get higher scores, just unstable. I can't even get 10.xx and above to run the program without all kind of errors. I say try nvidia driver 6.50 or 6.72 and see if it fixes it.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
  5. Well, the ABit KT7 says it supports everything from 1.2gig and any future Socket A processors... Now, the multiplier on it only goes to 12.5.. So I set the bios to automatic configuration for a 1250. When I boot is says 104x12.5 1300.. So it does the overclock of the FSB on its own.

I was really wondering if that 4mhz FSB OC might be causing problems..
  6. Do you have a 300 w powersupply?
    One more thing - I remember AMD removed one of the Arbitboards from the recommened list. I dont know if it was the one you have.
  7. <b>When I boot is says 104x12.5 1300.. So it does the overclock of the FSB on its own.</b>
    There is a new <b>BIOS</b> for KT7 series (ZT) on Athlonmb.com
    <b>http://www.amdmb.com/files.php#KT7</b>
    1. Adds three new options to enhance the system compatibility
    Delay transaction .
    PCI master read caching .
    PCI master time-out
    Set above options to Disabled / Disabled / 0 may help SB Live 5.1 sound issue. If the system experiences low performance after these settings, enable the PCI master read cachingplease.
    <b>2. Fixes the issue Athlon 1.3G(100) wrongfully recognized as 104x12.5.</b>
    3. Adds an option State after power failure.
    4. Set all four IDE devices to AUTO.
    5. Set the default year to 2001.
    6. BIOS compile date: 05/11/2001
  8. cool - thanks

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs NAS / RAID Thunderbird