YANI - new trap

This one's a little off the wall because I came up with it in a dream.

How about magnet traps?

If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
metal armour and metal weapons.

Jewellery is assumed to be mostly non-magnetic and also too small to
have much effect, so rings & amulets are not effected.

If you are levitating and you pass over one you get dragged to the
ground and take some damage.

If you kick metal things across a magnet trap they stick.

Iron golems get trapped by them, and other monsters have to drop their
metal armour/weapons to get off them.

On a level that has a magnet trap, there will also be a switch
somewhere which you can press to turn the magnet off. You can then
pick up all of the gear that's trapped there.

I really like this idea - it's pretty evil but I don't think it's too
unbalancing. The only issue is whether it's consistent with the
nethack world - the switch implies that there is electricity (although
I suppose it could be magic!).

Darth.

Wow! You learn something new every day - I didn't realise that the
brass lantern was electric. I always assumed it was just like th oil
lamp.

I guess that I would have noticed eventually when I tried to refill one
with a potion of oil...

Darth.

On 29 Mar 2005 01:39:37 -0800,
"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
> metal armour and metal weapons.

Including that cursed -4 dagger and those cursed -1 iron shoes?

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>

Nathan

Darth. wrote:
> How about magnet traps?
>
> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
> metal armour and metal weapons.

Would it also affect metal objects inside containers? If so, it could
be really unfair. If not, you could just bag everything and leave.

Maybe the effect could be reduced by multiple layers of sacks,
as with the risk of blowing up a bag of holding.

"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I really like this idea - it's pretty evil but I don't think it's too
>unbalancing. The only issue is whether it's consistent with the
>nethack world - the switch implies that there is electricity (although
>I suppose it could be magic!).

Nethack has electricity; consider the brass lantern (a homage to the
Colossal Cave).
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Emperor - Towards The Pantheon

Dan Sommers <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>On 29 Mar 2005 01:39:37 -0800,
>"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
>> metal armour and metal weapons.
>
>Including that cursed -4 dagger and those cursed -1 iron shoes?

Having cursed metal equipment while standing on a magnet trap would
clearly have to be defined to be a major trouble.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Emperor - Into The Infinity Of Thoughts

Darth. wrote:

> Wow! You learn something new every day - I didn't realise that the
> brass lantern was electric. I always assumed it was just like th oil
> lamp.

> I guess that I would have noticed eventually when I tried to refill
> one with a potion of oil...

Or even before that, when it went out: "Your lantern has run out of
power", as opposed to "Your lamp has run out of oil" (or something quite
like that).

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Nathan <ntspam2@netscape.net> carefully considered, then mistyped:
> Darth. wrote:
>> How about magnet traps?
>>
>> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
>> metal armour and metal weapons.

> Would it also affect metal objects inside containers? If so, it could
> be really unfair. If not, you could just bag everything and leave.
> Maybe the effect could be reduced by multiple layers of sacks,
> as with the risk of blowing up a bag of holding.

seems like such a magnet would just make all metal heavier, perhaps
modified by bags.

or, if it's on the ceiling, the magnet makes metal lighter.

"You activate a magnetic trap!"
"Oops! Your plate mail is stuck to the ceiling!"

"You finish removing your platemail"
CRASH
DYWYPI?

carl
--
carl cox , reseach scientist , carl{dot}cox@gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI : Georgia Tech Research Institute

Dan Sommers wrote:
>On 29 Mar 2005 01:39:37 -0800,
>"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
>> metal armour and metal weapons.
>
>Including that cursed -4 dagger and those cursed -1 iron shoes?

Don't do that, then ;)

--
Sebastian Your 'PIN Identification Number' will
henceforth be referred to as PIN.

Plus one recharges a brass lantern with a ?oCharging. I wonder if anyone
has ever ascended a Zork ascension.

"Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> wrote in news:1112119505.969336.198370
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Would it also affect metal objects inside containers? If so, it could
> be really unfair. If not, you could just bag everything and leave.
>
> Maybe the effect could be reduced by multiple layers of sacks,
> as with the risk of blowing up a bag of holding.

I don't know do you really want a /oCancellation zapped on that cursed BoH
found on someone's bones to go ahead and cancel out all the magical goods?
Perhaps they could start where you zap a wand of polymorph at yourself and
everything in your inventory is polymorphed rather than just the hero.

Nathan

Darth. wrote:

> How about magnet traps?
>
> If you step onto one then you can't move off it until you drop all
> metal armour and metal weapons.

How about a positive effect, too? You could drop a cursed loadstone
there.

Sketchy

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003

Drop a wand of lightning and reverse the trap's polarity!

YANI - ELEVATORS!

Use a wand of digging on the level above, just above the magnetic trap,
and drop a wand of lightning on it, and then coax your pet
iron golem over it and watch him crash through multiple floors above,
and pick the wand back up and get squished! :D