Yet Another Amusing Anecdote

Somewhat spoily, so you be warned.

Scroll.

More.

Spoily after this.

Spoily starts here.

So, I'm playing Priests. I like that I already know status of
stuff, and I like my stacks to be nice and neat. Additionally, I've
been trying the protection racket for a while, and getting better at
surviving while not killing everything. I'm proud.

<Background>

My Priestess successfully pulled off protection, acquiring naked ac of
7 before striking out to sokoban. Managed to complete that task
without raising to level 2, so I get the cash (and prize) from the
treasure zoo, go back to minetown (raising a level along the way),
sell off all the loot I can't use, and buy 2 more points of
protection. Not terrible. Unfortunatly, my pets all died in their
ambition to take down the MineTown Guards. So, without better
outlook, but with decent AC, I setout to complete the mines. A
whole drops me quickly to the bottom (unintentionally), and some
exploring and elberething and finally hacking later, I return to
minetown having lost 2 more pets, gained up to level 10, and lots
more booty. Booty sold turns into another point of protection, and
some judicious use of object detection to find vaults brings
another. I suppose it's time to do something else.

I decend below the entrance to sokoban for the first time, where
there happens to be an aligned alter. Excellent; I can do a little
dance, sac a little prey, and hope for some happenin' gifts. A
mumuk kills my only horse, and I, in my ignorance and foolishness,
try to sac this pet to my God. Of course, pisses Posidon off
something awful (shouldn't priests get a warning about bad religious
activity? Seems like the class should know better). Oops. Well,
more sacing should take care of that.

Immediatly thereafter a brown pudding wanders into the room. Huh.
Never tried pudding farming before. Took a little time to get it
right (healing them helps a lot!) but soon I was farming away.
Gotta say, farming was only fun when a black light blew up next to
me and suddenly rodents of unusual size were dividing. I also
advance another two levels, which makes me nervous, so I decide to
stop.

<Punchline>

Stopping pudding farming is a rather tiresome endeavor all alone.
Systematic elimenation of the duplications is boooooriinnnng. And
I'm hungry. So I eat some corpses, make some more. Eat some
corpses, make some more. Killed the last one. Hurrah! That
painful endeaver is over! No more farming for me! Hungry, I eat
the corpse.

I should perhaps mention that the only unicorn I've seen has been
coaligned. Why? Because the last corpse, of the last pudding, gave
me food poisoning.

I gag. No, IRL, I gag. Brazen foolishness! Stacks of corpses
laying about, spreading plague to each other. What was I thinking?!
Easy answer, of course, was that I wasn't. Well, time to start now.

God still pissed at me for trying to sac my pet. I downed my only
potion of extra healing, but it was cursed, and didn't work. That
is, it didn't work. I assume that is because it was cursed. Tried
a potion of holy water on a lark, but I'm chaotic, so it burned me.
Tried spell of extra healing, which releaved my burn and still left
me nausious. Between the failed solutions and having to move to
stashes to aquire some of them, I am left with one conclusion:

Without help, I am going to die in less than 5 more turns, probably
more like 1. I suppose there is only one possiblity:

Google!

So, a google for "nethack food poison" leads easily to not very
helpful stuff, but a google for "nethack "food poison"" leads to a
single hit, with a post from Liao listing several cures.

Yes, I know about praying. Unihorn. extra healing. Hmm. Blessed
potion of healing? I have a potion of healing and more holy water.
Do I have the time? I pull them from my bag, dip healing into that
wonderful liquid, and drink.

Relief! Healing! Survival! This priest will survive to leave the
mazes another way! I, of course, will stop playing for the moment,
and relax long enough to put this small story down. Hopefully
others will at least be amused by it. And my next pet will be named
Google.

carl
--
carl cox , reseach scientist , carl{dot}cox@gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI : Georgia Tech Research Institute

carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:

> Somewhat spoily, so you be warned.
>
> Scroll.

> More.

> Spoily after this.

> Spoily starts here.

> Yes, I know about praying. Unihorn. extra healing. Hmm. Blessed
> potion of healing? I have a potion of healing and more holy water.
> Do I have the time? I pull them from my bag, dip healing into that
> wonderful liquid, and drink.
>
> Relief! Healing! Survival! This priest will survive to leave the
> mazes another way!

You could have drunk the holy water; would have saved you a turn and left
you with the potion of healing.

Raisse, poisoned by a rotted kobold corpse

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> carefully considered, then mistyped:
> carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:

>> Somewhat spoily, so you be warned.
>>
>> Scroll.

>> More.

>> Spoily after this.

>> Spoily starts here.

>> Yes, I know about praying. Unihorn. extra healing. Hmm. Blessed
>> potion of healing? I have a potion of healing and more holy water.
>> Do I have the time? I pull them from my bag, dip healing into that
>> wonderful liquid, and drink.
>>
>> Relief! Healing! Survival! This priest will survive to leave the
>> mazes another way!

> You could have drunk the holy water; would have saved you a turn and left
> you with the potion of healing.

i assume the reason that didn't work is that i am chaotic. the devil's
in the details.

carl
--

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:
>

>> Somewhat spoily, so you be warned.
>>
>> Scroll.

>> More.

>> Spoily after this.

>> Spoily starts here.
>

>> Yes, I know about praying. Unihorn. extra healing. Hmm. Blessed
>> potion of healing? I have a potion of healing and more holy
>> water. Do I have the time? I pull them from my bag, dip healing
>> into that wonderful liquid, and drink.
>>
>> Relief! Healing! Survival! This priest will survive to leave the
>> mazes another way!
>

> You could have drunk the holy water; would have saved you a turn and
> left you with the potion of healing.
>
> Raisse, poisoned by a rotted kobold corpse
>

> carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:
>> Tried a potion of holy water on a lark, but I'm chaotic, so it
>> burned me.

Ahem.

--
____ (__)