Someone Please Help me Find Parts

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I FINALLY started ordering the parts for my computer but ive been having trubble finding a fiew parts.

Asus v8200 Geforce3 Pure INSTOCK for around $420

AMD 1.33GHz Athlon 266MHz FSB RETAIL INSTOCK for around $250

Kenwood 72x True-x CDROM INSTOCK for around $120

Havnt been able to find the Kenwood anywhere can some help

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Ive looked at pricewatch, cnet, and zdnet and no luck i gues there are a fiew more i havent tryed

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Hey, really now just get a UDMA capable cdrom drive. 50x or so should do it. You'll spend $50 tops. You'll barely notice the difference anyway. Unless you are doing some major audio ripping, save yourself the $70 and get a little bit more ram.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

G

I would rather look at a 16x DVD-ROM over a 72x cd-rom. More DVD-ROM programs should come out around the X-BOX release. I think it will be microsoft way of upgrading.

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I wanted to get the 72x because in about 6 months i could upgrade to a 20x DVD around 60x cdrom but i guess i could get a 56x now and get a dvdrom later thats not my big consern right now its more trying to find a GF3

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Somebody correct me if I am wrong here, but I don't think the Asus v8200 has even been released yet. I know that some people on pricewatch are advertising it, but according to the Asus website they haven't officially released it yet. That is why you can't find it anywhere. I would give it a couple of weeks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can find Visiontek GeForce 3 cards on Pricewatch, and Visiontek makes a good product. Also much less expensive.
As for this CDROM discussion, a DVD will usually rip audio faster than a CDROM, I would look at a 12-16x DVDrom for around $70. I've got a nice Panasonic 12x or 16x (Panasonic did not mark which one on mine, and they are under the same model number!) that rips at 9x, wheas my 52x CDROM only ripped at 6x.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

As for this CDROM discussion, a DVD will usually rip audio faster than a CDROM,
Sorry to intrude, but where did you get that idea? Based on your personal CD-ROM and DVD-ROM that may be the case. But it is hardly the norm. <b>GOOD</b> CD-ROM's typically out pace DVD-ROM’s in DAE by at least 10x. When I say good CD-ROM's Im talking about the Kenwood 72x which is currently the fastest at DAE on the market, Rip speed is 46x avg! As good as the Kenwood 72x is I don’t recommend it. The Kenwood still has some quirks and incompatibilities left over from the 52x and 62x models, the 72x is still a little buggy. There are some other CD-ROM's that handle DAE with ease and are solid drives. A few I recommend are: Teac CD-540E, AOpen CD-952E, Afreey CD-2052E and Asus CD-S500. All of those models will rip audio around 30x avg.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
good god? a 72 speed CD rom drive?
how loud will that be...
especially using unbalanced CD's, of which there seem to be many.

by the way... what is this post doing in the processor section?

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

Contrary to popular belief the 72x Kenwood doesn’t spin at high RPM's. It actually uses 7 lasers instead of 1 to read data. So it is able to spin at 4,000 rpm avg, which is about half the rpm's of typical 50x CD-ROMs, yet it can blow every CD-ROM out of the water performance wise. The drive has other problems though, it has difficulty reading CDRW media and slightly scratched disks among other quirks.

G

Well i think DVD is best for the future.

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)

G

Well i think DVD is best for the future.
Overall I agree with that, I kinda went off on my DAE rant. Yes, DVD will only become more and more widely used. If the fastest DAE speeds possible isnt a concern I recommend DVD-ROM over CD-ROM's.

G

Crashman,
You have a Teac 532E that only rips at 3x? Sounds like you have something wrong with your drive or your system, you should be getting around 12x with that drive. Do you have UDMA enabled? May want to check Teac's website for a firmware update also.

G

Heck the max speeds for a cd-rom program needs is 8x. So won't a 16x dvd have you set for a 5 years.
5 years? That could be pushing it, who knows how much things could change by then. For reading data it might be ok. But other considerations should be examined, like recording a CD on the fly. CD recorders are getting faster and faster. Most DVD-ROM's now cant even keep up with 12x on the fly recording of audio disks.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Well the one good thing is i got my midtower case and 350w p/s today!! Bad nose.... i have nothing to put in it exept a power supply....

As to the Asus v8200 GF3 i know its out because markonecomputers.com has um

As to the DVDROM vs just CDROM i considered the DVD for a while but because i never rent movies and DVDRWs arnt in use at all basicly i thought i could get a fast CDROM (above 52x) and get a 20x dvd in about 8 months.

I guess the kenwood arnt that good so what im looking for is a 52x or above cdrom thats dependable and a name brand like sony.

MY BIGGER CONCERN IS THE GF3 because i dont want to use my currnet 1.8D graphics card (s3 trio64v + pci) until i can get the GF3.

I can use my new cdrw to install stuff at the start (Plexwriter 16x10x40x) but im kinda a hard core gamer and i want a fast cdrom to go along with my High-end system.

I get my hard drive tomarrow and i think my CPU and Motherboard and DDR before this weekend.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
PS those are the things im getting on the internet

Im getting my CDRW my speakers and my floppy at my local shop

later this week im going to get my sound card ordered and try to get my parents to order Silverado (they dont trust paypal)

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
A fast CDRom will do just about nothing for gaming. It will install faster. Unless you typically select smaller installs (if your craving absolute speed then you shouldn't), super fast cdroms are for ripping CD's. Most games only require the CDrom to be in your drive after a full install for copy protection only. You want absolute gaming speed get a raid 0 config. But that still wont help that much. With a GeForce3,your processor, and a good ATA100 drive you'll be surpassing 98% of the gamers on the planet.

Save a bit of cash, for some of the future upgrades.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Yeh ive looked at newegg the only thing with them is their price is a bit high

I want to get the GF3 cause i got the money to (been saving for this computer for about 7-8 months)

Maybie i should rethink get the Toshiba 16x48x??

One last thing about the GF3 im looking into.... Does anyone know how its preformance is versus the 3d Prophet III? the phophet is about $30 more and im woundering if the preformance is any better?

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Another thing is if you want to know what hard drive im getting its the 60GB 60GXP and it gets here today :)

And the sound card im getting says it has a certified Dolby Digital decoder would that be all i need as far as hardware to use dvds?