Sign in with
Your question

What is wrong with my asus? I'm stumped

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 23, 2011 4:48:58 AM

I have an asus g51-vx best buy addition laptop, warranty is already done with. My power jack seems to be broken, so instead of soldering a new one on I added a second one to the same solders; it's an external one coming out of the dial up modem port. The reason for this was mostly out of laziness and not being very skilled at de-soldering; what happened was while I was testing the new plug, the battery started charging for about a second, and then the AC adapter fell and shorted at my new adapter because I hadn't electrical taped the wires yet and they touched.
Now after trying a new connector, re-soldering, and even splicing the adapter directly to the power jack cord coming out of the laptop, I cannot get any power to my computer.

The symptoms it was showing were: power jack was wiggly, computer would switch in and out of battery and AC mode a lot, I had to hold the ac cord at a specific angle or the computer wouldn't charge, and eventually it just stopped charging and the battery died. It's been a few months because I'm a bit tight on money, but nothing has happened to it since that.

The motherboard seems like it's brand new from the factory, no busted capacitors or anything like that; might be a bit of flux left on it but that is all

I can't find anything wrong with this computer but it will not start! I have tried hard reboots, taking the battery out, and even putting more thermal paste on the heat sinks. Anyone run into a similar problem, ever? How did you fix this? How would a computer shop repair this? Think it's the power jack? I checked and made sure there was voltage coming through and there's no resistance according to the ohmmeter.

Help me out guys

More about : wrong asus stumped

a b D Laptop
February 23, 2011 3:21:40 PM

After being shorted out, is the adapter still powering up? You could get a voltmeter and check if the adapter is putting out any power.
m
l
February 23, 2011 4:50:54 PM

house70 said:
After being shorted out, is the adapter still powering up? You could get a voltmeter and check if the adapter is putting out any power.

already tested it, and indeed it is putting out power. The power goes through the wire I connected to the power connector solders, and it's a full connection as I can pick it up on the original power connector that's still connected to it.

Hoping it's not a mobo issue, because the mobo has definitely not shorted out as far as I can tell from looking at it
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 7:36:05 PM

If it was untaped wires coming out of the computer that touched, while having a charge run through them, then it's either a fuse in the computer or your fried something in the computer outright. (do computers even have fuses?)

Nothing about that description makes me feel good.

Ummm......does the motherboard have a pin hole reset? Maybe that might work?
m
l
February 24, 2011 12:48:38 AM

Fadekyn said:
If it was untaped wires coming out of the computer that touched, while having a charge run through them, then it's either a fuse in the computer or your fried something in the computer outright. (do computers even have fuses?)

Nothing about that description makes me feel good.

Ummm......does the motherboard have a pin hole reset? Maybe that might work?

Yup untaped wires out the back of my computer, wasn't supposed to be there long was just a test to see if the connection was good. The chargelight came on for about 2 seconds before my hopes were dashed as the charger fell to the floor, pulling the cord and causing a small spark exposed wires.
There's no noticeable short on the mobo, but I know you can't always see them. And yeah they have fuses but no idea how to find a bad one. Can someone give me a hand with that maybe?

No pinhole reset as far as I know
m
l
February 24, 2011 1:35:10 PM

Go to notebookreview.com, go to the forums under the discussions tab. Find the ASUS room and then find your respective model. I can almost guarantee they'll know where the fuses are and whether you have a pinhole reset.
m
l
!