Outlook Express: Files to backup for OS reinstall?

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I am using Windows XP Pro with Outlook Express 6.0 as an email client. I am about to make some equipment changes and reinstall the OS. Which files do I need to backup so that I do not lose my messages and address book? When I tried to "export" the files, it told me that it could not be done. Further investigation revealed that I needed Windows Messenger or Outlook installed for this function to work. Sure enough, installing Outlook 2000 enabled me to export the files from Outlook Express. But there was one problem: I could not import them back into Outlook Express (I tested it on a second computer) and had to use Outlook 2000. I *guess* I could use Outlook 2000 as my email client in the new configuration, but I'd rather not. So, which files do I need to backup in order to save my messages and address book to use in Outlook Express? Would the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" do it?

"Veni, vidi, vino."
"(I came, I saw, I drank wine.")

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
open up the address book and export a .wab from there for the address book.
For saving the folders go to:
c:>documents and Settings>(whatever your user is)>Local Settings*>Application data>identities>(a folder with lots of #'s and letters)>microsoft>outlook express
Copy all of the stuff in there and just copy it back when you reinstall. you could probably just drag the folders right out of outlook express into a folder but this way has always worked for me.

* = Must have "Show hidden files and folders" turned on
can be found at:
my computer>tools>folder options>view

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Alternatively, you can find your mail storage folder this way:

In Outlook Express, go to tools-->options-->maintenance
Click on "Store Folder"
You can copy and paste the store location into a blank window.
Backup all the files in there, and after installing the new OS just paste them over the new ones. Do yourself a favor though... back up everything on CD first so you don't lose everything if you screw up!

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --