How can I Name items that aren't in my inventory.

A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Mark Healey wrote:

> A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
> kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
> gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
> or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

You cannot. I guess that loadstones are the primary reason for this.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Mark Healey wrote:

> A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone
> by kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across
> another gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I
> ID lodestones or potions IDed destructively without having them in my
> inventory?

You cannot.

In the Catacombs version of Mines' End, the gray stones are even
deliberately placed to prevent you from kicking them successfully:

http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer/minesend.html#catacombs

By the way, note that this is of no import, since the two gray stones
you will find here are a luckstone and a flint stone, never a loadstone.
A relative newbie wouldn't know that, of course...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:

> A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
> kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
> gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
> or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

AFAIK, you can't. For potions, there's a workaround; you can
e.g. name your weapon "green potion was ..". For grey stones,
I only see identification by exclusion as a possibility, and
the rule of thumb is 'don't pick before kick'; you can teleport
it or dig some space for kicking.

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:
>
>> A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
>> kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
>> gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
>> or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?
>
> AFAIK, you can't. For potions, there's a workaround; you can
> e.g. name your weapon "green potion was ..". For grey stones,
> I only see identification by exclusion as a possibility, and
> the rule of thumb is 'don't pick before kick'; you can teleport
> it or dig some space for kicking.

Lasso?

TRENDING THREADS