How can I Name items that aren't in my inventory.

A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Mark Healey wrote:

    > A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
    > kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
    > gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
    > or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

    You cannot. I guess that loadstones are the primary reason for this.

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    Mark Healey wrote:

    > A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone
    > by kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across
    > another gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I
    > ID lodestones or potions IDed destructively without having them in my
    > inventory?

    You cannot.

    In the Catacombs version of Mines' End, the gray stones are even
    deliberately placed to prevent you from kicking them successfully:

    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer/minesend.html#catacombs

    By the way, note that this is of no import, since the two gray stones
    you will find here are a luckstone and a flint stone, never a loadstone.
    A relative newbie wouldn't know that, of course...

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

    Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:

    > A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
    > kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
    > gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
    > or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?

    AFAIK, you can't. For potions, there's a workaround; you can
    e.g. name your weapon "green potion was ..". For grey stones,
    I only see identification by exclusion as a possibility, and
    the rule of thumb is 'don't pick before kick'; you can teleport
    it or dig some space for kicking.

    Best,
    Jakob

    Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
    > Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:
    >
    >> A lot of times I'll run across a gray stone and ID it as a lodestone by
    >> kicking it. This is fine. The problems is when I come across another
    >> gray stone in a corner and can't do a kick test. How can I ID lodestones
    >> or potions IDed destructively without having them in my inventory?
    >
    > AFAIK, you can't. For potions, there's a workaround; you can
    > e.g. name your weapon "green potion was ..". For grey stones,
    > I only see identification by exclusion as a possibility, and
    > the rule of thumb is 'don't pick before kick'; you can teleport
    > it or dig some space for kicking.

    Lasso?

Games Video Games