Thermal Diode Heaven

G

Finally! AMD has got their act together and produced a chip with a thermal diode. It's not as good as its Intel brethren (still requires motherboard support), but it should stop clutzes frying their chips.

I guess it's a case of better late than never, however, I feel for all those people who have fried their chips. Lets hope the warranty will hold.

May I be the first to congradulate AmdMeltdown on his many months of hard campaign, door to door, forum to forum, and in Congress. It seems democracy does work :!

Just in case you're wondering, I think AMD have always made good chips, and I've bought Thunderbirds and never had a bad experience. Unfortunately, AmdMeltdown, FUGGER, et al, seem intent on making them out to be satan. This, I do not agree with. I simply feel they should have included this feature more quickly ;)

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

G

Just a thought: Tom said in the review of the mobile Palomino that the thermal diode needed two extra pins. I guess this means it won't be activated in current motherboards, and will require new shutdown hardware. The new Palominos should still work in the older sockets, just with the diode disabled.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No thermal diode... hmmm... Thats not good... I'll guess new motherboards will made to support this... So i guess everyone upgrade your motherboard if you want thermal diode enabled...

The only nice Intel guy.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok those pins will need motherboard support, but you can still set thermal thresholds in the cpu control registers, there is still the good old thermistor down the cpu socket to get the temperature.

current board will have no problem working with Palominos and motherboard supports would just be an added benefit. no need to upgrade those anyway, yet...

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I'd just like to point out that Tom noted something. If 'board manufactures followed AMD guidelines when making the new 133MHz Socket A 'boards, they should have no problem supporting the two extra pins, or anything else that the Palomino might have that requires motherboard support. So, the higher "class" of manufactures might have done just that, but who know about the more generic versions of 'boards (like OEM 'boards). Just my thoughts.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.