newbie questions on gameplay, potions and sleep

Last response: in Video Games
April 1, 2005 5:49:36 AM

I only started to play nethack a week ago and have some questions on
what and how I can do:
1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
whole? I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.
If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?
2.) Is it possible to mix potions? Can it have funny effects if I
swallow to many different potions one after the other? If this is the
case I'd rather like to test these effects outside my body, than
inside:-)

And now a complete different question: The last character I played
died in a way I don't understand: I fell asleep every now and then, so
I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
waited (and sleept) for 50 turns. Then I went on, still falling asleep
and the intervalls between shortend. Of cause I died after a while.
Reading a few articles here, I found out that it was no natural
sleepieness, but what was it? Is it something wrong I ate?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:22:20 PM

In article <58d807e8.0504010149.1d8b1377@posting.google.com>,
Felice aus Salum <felice_aus_salum@gmx.de> wrote:

>I only started to play nethack a week ago and have some questions on
>what and how I can do:

Welcome to the black hole! Nethack has a funny way of absorbing a lot
of time and attention.

>1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
>whole?

No. Any action that you do with a potion that causes consumption will
consume the whole potion.

> I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
>getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.

I understand. But you can't do it.

>If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
>identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?

There are a few others, but generally you need to be higher level before
you can act upon them.

One useful technique is asking shopkeepers how much they will pay for a
potion.

>2.) Is it possible to mix potions?

Yes. It's called alchemy and is done by #dip of one into the other.

> Can it have funny effects if I
>swallow to many different potions one after the other?

No. No potion interaction.

> If this is the
>case I'd rather like to test these effects outside my body, than
>inside:-)

Of course. But you wouldn't get the effect drinking the potions one after
the other anyway.

>And now a complete different question: The last character I played
>died in a way I don't understand: I fell asleep every now and then, so
>I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
>waited (and sleept) for 50 turns. Then I went on, still falling asleep
>and the intervalls between shortend. Of cause I died after a while.
>Reading a few articles here, I found out that it was no natural
>sleepieness, but what was it? Is it something wrong I ate?

Actually it's the opposite. You probably got the message:

"You faint from lack of food."

You need to eat. A quote from the Guidebook

7.4 Food (`%')

Food is necessary to survive. If you go too long without eating you will
faint, and eventually die of starvation. Some types of food will spoil, and
become unhealthy to eat, if not protected. Food stored in ice boxes or tins
(``cans'') will usually stay fresh, but ice boxes are heavy, and tins take a
while to open.

You will want to spend some time reading that guidebook before proceeding.
It answers quite a few of your questions and more.

BAJ
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:11:59 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Felice aus Salum wrote:

> 1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
> whole?

No. It is possible to inhale the vapour of a potion, but it is used up
nevertheless, and you can identify only few potions this way.

> I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
> getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.
> If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
> identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?

Some potions can be identified by dipping certain objects into them. A
general way to identify all sorts of items is to ask shopkeepers for their
prices; of course, you would have to know the items' base prices for that
(see the spoilers at spod-central.org, were also the effects of dipping
are outlined).

> 2.) Is it possible to mix potions?

Yes, by dipping one into another. (This is commonly refered to as
"alchemy".) The effects range from comprehensible (healing+gain
energy=extra healing) to obscure (fruit juice+gain level=see invisible).

> I fell asleep every now and then, so
> I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
> waited (and sleept) for 50 turns. Then I went on, still falling asleep
> and the intervalls between shortend. Of cause I died after a while.
> Reading a few articles here, I found out that it was no natural
> sleepieness, but what was it?

You were wearing an amulet of restful sleep. Amulets can have very nasty
effects; it is wise to check whether you could take it off again before
trying an unidentified amulet.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Felice aus Salum wrote:
> I only started to play nethack a week ago and have some questions on
> what and how I can do:
> 1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
> whole? I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
> getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.
> If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
> identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?
> 2.) Is it possible to mix potions? Can it have funny effects if I
> swallow to many different potions one after the other? If this is the
> case I'd rather like to test these effects outside my body, than
> inside:-)

Do you know about the #dip command? Simply type #dip (or possibly alt+d,
if THAT'S your thing) and experiment.

> And now a complete different question: The last character I played
> died in a way I don't understand: I fell asleep every now and then, so
> I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
> waited (and sleept) for 50 turns. Then I went on, still falling asleep
> and the intervalls between shortend. Of cause I died after a while.
> Reading a few articles here, I found out that it was no natural
> sleepieness, but what was it? Is it something wrong I ate?

Magical items found in the Dungeons of Doom aren't always benificial. In
fact, some of them have downright nasty effects.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:22:40 PM

Felice aus Salum wrote:

> I only started to play nethack a week ago and have some questions on
> what and how I can do:

Spoilers, of course.

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

(this is off my screen; if your screen is larger and you don't want to
read spoilers, you ought to have closed your eyes)

> 1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
> whole?

No, you can only quaff the whole bottle.

> I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
> getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.
> If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
> identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?

Poison --that is, the potion of sickness-- *can* be identified: dip some
darts or arrows in, and if "the potion forms a coating on the darts"
you'll know it's sickness and your darts or arrows will be poisoned. (I
usually throw them away or sell them after that, because I don't use
poison on principle, but that's just me). It does use up one potion.

Potions of water are always clear.

Dipping a unicorn horn into some potions that are bad for you will turn
them into water. You'll know that the potion you dipped into was bad for
you, but not what it was.

Dipping an amethyst stone into booze turns it into fruit juice. (This is
also useful to tell your violet gems apart if you have known booze)

> 2.) Is it possible to mix potions?

Yes. This is called alchemy and there's a spoiler about it.

> Can it have funny effects if I
> swallow to many different potions one after the other? If this is the
> case I'd rather like to test these effects outside my body, than
> inside:-)

No, though there are potions that can counteract the effects of something
you've already swallowed (or eaten).

> And now a complete different question: The last character I played
> died in a way I don't understand: I fell asleep every now and then, so
> I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
> waited (and sleept) for 50 turns. Then I went on, still falling asleep
> and the intervalls between shortend. Of cause I died after a while.
> Reading a few articles here, I found out that it was no natural
> sleepieness, but what was it? Is it something wrong I ate?

Were you wearing an unidentified amulet? (Or had you *eaten* an
unidentified amulet?)

Raisse, killed by boiling potions

April 1, 2005 10:08:49 PM

Felice aus Salum wrote:

> I only started to play nethack a week ago and have some questions on
> what and how I can do:

Welcome!

> 1.) Is it possible to only sip at a potion before swallowing the
> whole? I'm thinking of testing for poison for example or already
> getting this typical mesage, that lets me guess, what this potion is.
> If not so: Is there a way of identifying potion without scroll of
> identify without swallowing or throwing at monsters?

No. A potion only has effects (good or bad) after you swallow it whole.

Some potions can be identified by dipping other things in them. For
example, dipping something in a potion of polymorph will change it into
something else, dipping arrows in a potion of sickness will poison them,
etc. And a clear potion does not need to be identified: it's always
water (or holy or unholy water).

> 2.) Is it possible to mix potions? Can it have funny effects if I
> swallow to many different potions one after the other? If this is the
> case I'd rather like to test these effects outside my body, than
> inside:-)

Effects rarely influence earlier potion effects, apart from, for
example, a potion of healing curing the effects of a potion of
blindness.

And yes, you can mix potions. I'm not giving any details, you might want
to experiment. To mix, dip potion A in potion B. Some combinations give
fixed effects, some are random. For example: dipping ANYTHING in holy
water will bless it.

> And now a complete different question: The last character I played
> died in a way I don't understand: I fell asleep every now and then, so
> I though, my character's tired and lay down in a corner and just
> waited (and sleept) for 50 turns.

You shouldn't wear unidentified amulets.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

April 1, 2005 10:28:19 PM

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Felice aus Salum wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>2.) Is it possible to mix potions?
>

> Yes, by dipping one into another. (This is commonly refered to as
> "alchemy".) The effects range from comprehensible (healing+gain
> energy=extra healing) to obscure (fruit juice+gain level=see invisible).

fruit juice + gain level = see invisible isn't /that/ obscure...
Especially since you get the message "this tastes like <fruit> juice"
when you quaff a potion of see invisible.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/