Amd radeon 6870 crashing when opening game

ecout

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
So im having the strangest issue with my graphics card. I had it installed and fine for about a year now and suddenly it started having issues with Borderlands 2 where the card will literally just cut off right after the game add's and just before i can select to load game. The strange thing is the sound from the game will still play so i know the system itself is still running. I tested the temp's on gpu and cpu both of which are under 70c, i tried reinstalling windows and immediately installing amd drivers and running a game, it does the same thing.

ecout

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
i have a 600 watt power supply on i7 + mobo, i have only tried steam games, but the system itself has done it without my opening a game like post loading drivers for sound card, or just windows update and i go to youtube to play a video. It happens when i go through steam or when i go directly to the games as well.

ecout

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
the screen goes black, the fan runs to 100percent when it crashes, im also hearing a high pitched screeching sound coming from the computer as well, but its not the video card, could it be the mobo or cpu?

*update

I found an older video card to test it out, the high pitched noise is barely noticeable now, but more importantly i opened a game and it played correctly, granted it was super slow because of the age of the card, now i just wish there was a way for me to see what is wrong with the radeon 6870