Disadvantages or criticism of windows 7

nm73

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well, from what I've seen, there were reported cases of extreme RAM usage by the OS. However, I have no idea of whether this is true or not.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
The extreme ram usage is both wrong and right at the same time, Win7 does use a large amount of ram when idle for indexing (if I remember correctly) but when memory is needed for applications it releases the space required.
So although it appears to use a large amount, it's actually not, sort of.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I used Win7 for awhile but it has one major file handling problem that gave me lots of grief. When you create a new file or make changes to a file it will not show up in Windows explorer without refreshing the window. I edit a lot of files and this just drove me nuts. When I saw what was happening I did some online research and found that this problem has been in every release of Win7 and there has been no response from Microsoft on a fix. There are a few supposed fixes, but none of them work all the time. I went back to Vista.

For general use you will like it. If you do a lot of editing on photos, music files or videos this might be too big of a problem for you.

JB4times4

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

Ya I've never had that problem either.

I like Windows 7, but one thing that annoys me is it's waste of screen real estate. For example, there's a heck of a lot of empty space in the title bar of Windows Explorer. I frequently have several stacked Explorer windows and I have to offset them by almost 3 times as much as I used to in XP so I can see what folder each window has.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Hardware requirements are high for Windows 7.

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

These may be the absolute minimum requirements (and will run it hellishly slow) but the requirements for Win7 are still not 'high' unless you're stuck using 10+ year old hardware, in which case everything is relative and you really need an upgrade.

kn9sli

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Compare it to vista and there shouldn't be ANY complaints !!!!!! I ran XP pro and aside from a few crashes I was Happy with it Vista was a resource hog that I tried out a few times and after careful consideration I skipped completely,Now I run a dual boot 7 ultimate x86 and 7 ultimate x64 and I can't find anything to complain about.
But than again I never really was much of a whiner. I say that seven is everything Vista should have been and shame on microsoft for shoving that unfinished piece of @!@# down everyones throat.

4ln294.png

Murc1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

At these current specifications how long does it take for the OS to Boot? For the system to run remotely well you need at least 4 GB of ram 2Gb if you want the system to run flat out slow