Sign in with
Your question

My opinon about Athlon 4

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 8:11:20 AM

There are a lot of comments here about AMD following in Intel's footsteps or trailing Intel in some way. First I would say that I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. After all ever since the Athlon, AMD has been on a completely different platform from Intel. AMD's version of the Alpha EV6 bus is not compatible with Intel's bus architecture. Because of this they were the first to have a better than single data rate bus in the PC market. It could be argued that Intel has followed AMD by making the P4 platfor QDR. It could also be argued that Intel will be following AMD if they ever release a DDR chipset. Let's also not forget the strength of the Athlon's x87 FPU that was able to remove Intel's FPU crown in the PC space for possibly the first time ever. And let's also remember that Intel has yet to take that crown back from AMD.

Now of course AMD has followed Intel in the past, after all they started out as an Intel cloning company didn't they? I submit that AMD following Intel on SSE is a brilliant business move. Let's try this...

Intel releases SSE
Intel promises improved performance when future applications use SSE
Intel uses it's market dominance to push developers to use SSE
Intel uses it's marketing power to convince consumers that SSE is good
Now there are a significant number of SSE applications
AMD incorporates SSE and gets to show immediate benefits
Intel on the other hand has spent 2 years promising better performance and now that many applications have SSE they introduce SSE2 and they are back where they started.

AMD therefore let's Intel do all the work and they get the reap the benefits with little cost to themselves. Now let's remember that AMD is the smaller company here, much smaller. If Intel moves the market in a direction that is widely acceptted AMD will have to seriously consider adopting that technology. I believe this is very intelligent way to compete with Intel. After all the Athlon was still beating the PIII in most benchmarks. Adding SSE allows AMD to remove some of the competitive edge Intel had with some benchmarks. It is basically the same thing behind the name Athlon 4. However, the naming is purely a marketing ploy wheras there is some definative benefit to SSE. But again AMD is letting Intel do the work and they reap the benefits.

The name may help but nothing can stop Intel's most brilliant move in marketing the P4. Average Joe computer buyer only knows one thing, bigger is better. Even though we all know AMD's lower clocked processors are competitive with Intel, try explaining to the average guy in Best Buy why an Athlon 1.2Ghz is as good as a Pentium 4 1.5ghz. In this case I think the name could even hurt AMD. If Athon 4 and Pentium 4 are now seen to be equal processors by consumers, the fact that the Athlon always has a lower clock speed could hurt AMD even more now. It may be seen as AMD's slower version of the Pentium 4 instead of a seperate more competitive product. Anyways, I digress. Any comments are welcome.

More about : opinon athlon

May 15, 2001 8:23:19 AM

comments???
u expect sane comments?
get ready for a flame war from the usual morons

one point i would like to add,
i argue that AMD introduces SSE with "little cost" to itself,
try designing a chip and incorportating that,
but it does do it far cheaper than Intel

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 8:46:18 AM

I flame you Mr. I flame you to little flamey peices. I flame you do you hear me!!! I FLAME YOU!!! That is all.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
Related resources
May 15, 2001 9:04:36 AM

Perhaps the extra heat associated with the Athlon is actually caused by these intense flames. I endow upon this forum a large heatsink and an industrial sized fan. Please find the biggest flamer, and attach them to his forehead. This is for the environment people. This forum is responsible for 89.73% of all global warming!

On second thought, why don't we harness this heat instead of wasting it. We can build engines much like the old coal steam engines and use it to produce electricity. Someone call the president, I've found the solution to our energy crisis!

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 9:12:11 AM

Some one is on the ball tonight. get on the phones AMD is gonna be rich.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
May 15, 2001 9:21:19 AM

What are you talkign about AMD processors prolly created the energy crisis drawing 8437238947238974 watts of power ever .0001 seconds.... Worthless pieces of [-peep-] :smile: Oh!, wait a minute my new t-bird arrives tommomow... AMD rules.. lol :lol: 

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless
May 15, 2001 9:26:33 AM

I had actually meant the heat from all the flames... Oh well.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 9:28:08 AM

I know i was testing to see if you were awake.

SPUDMUFFIN

May 15, 2001 3:55:31 PM

Pretty astute observations on AMD's business plans. being the "little fish," they can't always swim in front of the big shark Intel. I still think that if AMD, or Nvidia, starts making stable chipsets, it'll be te best thing for the company. However, with the recent P4 optimized drivers Nvidia is developing, I wonder who they'll be in bed with tomorrow...

Are we there yet?
May 17, 2001 12:58:58 AM

get off amd's nuts
May 17, 2001 1:35:07 AM

However, you forget AMD was the first at a few things that Intel now copies as well.

1) First to use a FSB of 100 mhz
2) First to use a FSb of 133 mhz
3) First to use more than a single pumped FSB
4*) first to use DDR memory
5*) Hyper transport technology

* 4 and five intel has not to date used, however plans for a DDR chipset are in the works, Intle may very well have its own version of Hyper transport, however they do not have any working silicon to date.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
May 17, 2001 1:44:05 AM

As far as increases in FSB speeds, simply pumping existing technology faster is not innovation of design. As far as your claim that AMD was the first to use DDR, I would say they were the first to use non-RDRAM DDR. RDRAM is, of course, DDR memory.

-Raystonn

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2001 2:49:49 AM

ever since the Athlon, AMD has been on a completely different platform

AMD therefore let's Intel do all the work and they get the reap the benefits with little cost to themselves.

PLEASE remember that AMD pays INTEL for every chip it makes, SSE was bought as was MMX, the fact they run on a different platform, is also part of a DEAL between AMD and INTEL.
SO while the AMD faithfull are helping there profits, REMEMBER you are also helping INTELS bottom line at the same time.

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining
May 17, 2001 1:45:09 PM

"RDRAM is, of course, DDR memory."

It is? Please explain how RDRAM is the same as DDR ram.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to hell but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2001 6:44:58 PM

This may start a flame war but oh well. In my opinion you can't compare the DDR Vs. RDRAM technologies. DDR is basically SDRAM except double pumped bus. RDRAM uses a completly different way in everything in the memory system everything pretty much than SDRAM. I will say though that RDRAM does use DDR technology. PC800 RDRAM operates at 400MHz but doubled pumped to 800MHz (PC600 at 300MHz, running at 600). I hope this answeres your question.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2001 8:29:27 PM

whoah 'spud, the P4 generates quite a bit of heat itself...
It just knows when to slow down and cool off.

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.
May 17, 2001 10:05:04 PM

"Please explain how RDRAM is the same as DDR ram."

DDR is a label attributed to any memory that runs at double data rate, not just standard SDRAM. PC-800 RDRAM runs off a 400MHz FSB to work at 800MHz. It is DDR.

-Raystonn

May 17, 2001 10:05:53 PM

I fail to see why you are laughing. DDR is a label attributed to any memory that runs at double data rate, not just standard SDRAM. PC-800 RDRAM runs off a 400MHz FSB to work at 800MHz. It is DDR.

-Raystonn

!