Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 3:35:04 PM

hmmmm

well thats good.
ABout damn time =)

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
May 15, 2001 3:46:09 PM

No comment,

Every time i post a huge wall of flamers pop up. That right being a Nice intel guy i won't start a flame. So, Fugger and AMDmeltdown please shut up.

The only nice Intel guy.
Related resources
May 15, 2001 3:55:12 PM

It's about time that Dell woke up. I've quit recomending them to people that are to lazy to build there own computers because of them hanging in with Ntel when they know full well AMD has them by the short hairs right now. Dell is losing sales because of Ntel. I knew they'd have to wake up.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 5:21:50 PM

It was gonna happen eventually. Now we'll see if they'll make a Desktop AMD system.
May 15, 2001 9:11:47 PM

Each AMD laptop sold means 1 less Intel laptop sold. Dell is not stupid, they see the writing on the wall. AMD will pull more marketshare from Intel this year.

If Northwood is not what it is supposed to be (like the P4), Intel will have a very bad year.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2001 9:52:14 PM

Quote:
If Northwood is not what it is supposed to be (like the P4), Intel will have a very bad year.

ahh. but if Northwood is even close to what its supposed to be Intel will have a very nice year. Northwood's release in August could give Intel up to 8 months lead on AMD's T-Bred due in Q1 of next year. Plenty of time for Intel to dominate and control the desktop market. Intel will also have mobile northwood's soon after the desktop version is released. In the mean time mobile tulatins running at 1-1.3Ghz will insure Intel's strong hold in the mobile arena for now.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!
May 16, 2001 12:45:24 AM

Northwood's release date is not August. More like November. That gives them maybe 4-6 months head up over Thoroughbred. But, I'm sure that AMD will try as best as it can to push up the release of Thoroughbred to as soon as possible if Northwood comes out early and performs extremely well. Northwoods real competition will come from Clawhammer, which will perform 32-bit code, according to AMD, just as well if not better than the Athlon, plus it will have SSE2, further increasing performance. But, that's still about 14 months or more away, so we'll have to wait awhile to see that. It'll be an exciting near future for microprocessor technologies.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
May 16, 2001 12:56:17 AM

Your talking about dominating and taking back the market share from AMD in 4-6months?? Come on, even your aren't that foolish. Besides what will the price difference be? Intel is not going to be anywhere close in the price/performance department. Northwood will be in the $3000 plus computers and if you havn't noticed by the stock markets recent lag, people are not buying $3000 computers. The only computer sales on the rise are laptops, and the mobile Athlon is alot cheaper than there Intel counterparts.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an AMD zealot, I just call them as I see them. I would have no problem putting an Intel product in my rig, but right now the price is definately not right.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2001 1:15:19 AM

$3000 HAHAH thats outrageous. I find it very hard to beleive they will be in the $3000 range.
May 16, 2001 1:21:23 AM

Well, we will have to see when the 0.13 Tualatin, Northwood, and Palominos appear. That is where the delay is, and not to Intels or AMD's fault.

The lithography equipment that Intel was supposed to have operational in April will not be delivered until fourth quarter, delaying the 0.13 line. Sounds like a bad year so far, with AMD cutting into the laptop segment (even Dell has joined the AMD laptop bandwagon - desktops won't be far behind).

I do not want Intel to fail. I have too much Intel stock. But I am not blind to what is happening, and don't have much confidence due to Intels track record for the past 2 years. I hope Northwood is all it is hyped up to be, but I am afraid it will disappoint. Hope I am wrong....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
May 16, 2001 1:23:21 AM

Dont worry Northwood shall come for Notebook and Desktop and Low-end servers(SMP). 512kb L2 cache and a built up FPU shall feed your PC need

:redface: :cool: :eek:  :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
The only nice Intel guy.
May 16, 2001 1:29:21 AM

why not? That's how much every new Intel launch has been hovering around for the past 2 years.
May 16, 2001 1:34:28 AM

Well Northwood will be on time. You can call the Northwood the Real P4. Not that half-baked p4 that AMDmeltdown and Fugger praise every nite.

:redface: :cool: :eek:  :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
The only nice Intel guy.
May 16, 2001 3:15:35 AM

And why is it a good thing for Intel to "dominate and control" the desktop market? Whether you prefer AMD or Intel, it seems to be better for consumers to have two (or more) strong competitors in the processor market. Or are you just so pro-Intel that you prefer to have Intel as the only choice? I saw you criticize someone else in another thread for writing emotional posts, but you seem to be guilty of the same thing in the way you promote Intel to an extreme degree.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2001 6:23:10 AM

Quote:
And why is it a good thing for Intel to "dominate and control" the desktop market?

Somebody has to be the leader. Competition breeds innovation and technological advancements.
But I’m actually glad the battle is closer then it was a few years ago when Intel totally dominated in everything. AMD is closing in on Intel and has actually surpassed them in some areas. I think this has lit a fire under Intel and over the course of the next year will see how they react to it.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2001 11:29:41 AM

copy paste from similar thread:

Though I hope Dell will actually start using AMD cpu's, I have to see it first. Each time AMD came out with a new cpu, rumours like these have been flying around the web. I dont think Dell minds at all.. it puts some pressure on Intel, and that way Dell may be asured of even better prices and delivery. The fact that Dell doesnt use AMD cpu's, had very little to do with the performance of these chips, but very much with the close intel-dell relationship. Basically intel gives dell better prices, info and supply, as long as they dont sell AMD systems.
Remember the first P3-1 Ghz ? Dell was the only source that could supply them (sort off anyway)..

I dont think Dell will be very keen to step onto intel's toes and risk loosing this position. I dont think they have much to gain. I would not be surprised if intel would actually sell dell mobile P3 cpu's at the same prices AMD will sell its mobile A4's. What is there to gain then, for Dell ?
May 16, 2001 1:04:25 PM

"I would not be surprised if intel would actually sell dell mobile P3 cpu's at the same prices AMD will sell its mobile A4's. What is there to gain then, for Dell ?"

Higher performance chips, clock-for-clock, at the same price.

--Fltsimbuff
May 16, 2001 1:34:35 PM

Well, I can't argue with you about this post, but it sounds different than the one you posted earlier. Perhaps we're arguing over semantics, but "dominate and control" doesn't sound like competition to me. It sounds like the old days when Intel could do whatever they wanted. I agree that the competition from AMD has been good. I think it has sped up the pace of innovation and resulted in reduced prices. I see a lot of people bashing AMD or Intel, but it's better to have two strong companies trying to outdo each other.
May 16, 2001 1:37:49 PM

rcf84
c'mon, I don't agree with everything you say, but that's the point of this forum, an exchange of ideas.
anyway, in my opinion, this just shows how bad Intel has goofed right now.
they need to get the Tulatin out there NOW. It won't be mind blowing clock for clock against the A4, but it'll be better than the 1ghz roadblock they have now...
I wonder if the extra L2 cache will make the PIII.5 perform better, it should help with any latency issues of the system memory and chipset, but Intel already kicks butt in the chipset department, I don't know how much it will improve system performance.
But, I am waiting for an official word, maybe a model number? Dell Inspiron 9000? hope they use the same form factor and parts as the 8000, I may have an upgraded laptop soon... lol

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2001 9:32:11 AM

That was already the case when Athlon debuted. Higher clock speeds, higher performance clock-for-clock, and lower prices. Still that wasnt good enough for Dell to sell AMD systems. No, I would suprised frankly.. if they do sell an AMD based notebook, it must they are thoroughly upset with intel for some reason. And even then, I suspect it would be kind of a statement to intel, and once tualatin comes out, it may very well be that dell ceases to chip amd based systems. Im very sceptic on this one.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
May 17, 2001 9:54:36 AM

It could be something else. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Dell really <i>was</i> avoiding AMD purely for stability's sake? VIA chipsets are stable enough once you hit a "sweet spot" in your config, they're just a pain when you want to add new hardware. ALi is supposedly better about this than VIA, but they may be a bit less than perfect.

With a laptop, what would you add in the way of hardware? You might stick on a USB device or two, or maybe--<i>maybe</i>--attach something to the serial/parallel ports. You might add a PCMCIA card or two, but PCMCIA controllers aren't even a part of the motherboard chipset anyways. You sure as hell won't be adding an IDE device (though you may replace one), so the infamous VIA686B data corruption bug is dodged.

Suddenly, most of the stability issues with VIA and ALi have been dodged. That could be the reason Dell finds it acceptable to make a Palomino-based laptop, while not making an AMD-based desktop system.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2001 10:39:48 AM

"Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Dell really was avoiding AMD purely for stability's sake? VIA chipsets are stable enough once you hit a "sweet spot" in your config, they're just a pain when you want to add new hardware"

Hmmm.. not very likely. A company that sells prebuilt systems, is actually much less suspectible to VIA glitches. After all, they can preload and test the software, with the patches, create recovery cd's that have the patches, choose compatible peripherals, etc. After all, thats why IBM, Compaq, and many other vendors arent having such a hard time with their AMD based offerings.

Also, its not "adding" hardware that poses problems with via motherboards.. not that I know of. Its just some combinations that you should avoid (like with certain soundcards). An OEM has control over that. If the user buys another soundcard, and it doesnt work; it cannot blame the OEM.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
May 17, 2001 12:55:07 PM

Just a curious thought. The press release didn't say 'when' these AMD laptops are coming out. Now if Dell has been avoiding 'stability' issues then maybe, just maybe Dell knows something we don't.

Maybe a Crush chipset for the mobile Athlon? Nvidia did just release their Gefore 2 Go.????
May 17, 2001 4:09:05 PM

When my buddy was gonna by a system but didn't have enough confidence to build it himself (or let me do it), he went to Dell. They said they didn't sell AMD because they have "greater than 5% failure rate" whatever that means. I've never heard of an Athlon burning out when it had an HSF. Anyway, he got a PIII instead (against my advice) and now he's stuck at 1gig. I wonder what Dell's official rationale behind the move is. I think the real reason they finally switched is that with the PIII stuck at 1gig and P4 sales much lower than expected, Dell was losing too much business to other companies. They couldn't risk the Palomino et al. continuing AMD's popularity without having AMD systems... Just a thought

Are we there yet?
!