[S] Any advice for a Necromancer player?

Just started playing Slashem, I was intrigued by the new classes, races,
etc. I usually play regular Nethack, I'm fairly experienced. Can anyone
throw me some advice on keeping my level 3 Necromancer (male, human,
neutral) alive? I'm on dungeon level 3, there's a co-aligned altar and a
great big general store. I'm doing fairly well, as in I haven't died at XP
level one like my last few illfated wizard-types. I seem to have picked up
the ability to detect undead, which is really cool. Are there any tactics
(necromancer specific) that will help me prosper? I've got the force bolt
spell, my others are too high-level to be of immediate use. Also, what does
my Ghoul eat, if anything? I saw him devour a kobold corpse once, I'm not
sure if it was a former Kobold Mummy or not...

Warpwizard

On 2005-04-03, Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just started playing Slashem, I was intrigued by the new classes, races,
> etc. I usually play regular Nethack, I'm fairly experienced. Can anyone
> throw me some advice on keeping my level 3 Necromancer (male, human,
> neutral) alive? I'm on dungeon level 3, there's a co-aligned altar and a
> great big general store. I'm doing fairly well, as in I haven't died at XP
> level one like my last few illfated wizard-types. I seem to have picked up
> the ability to detect undead, which is really cool. Are there any tactics
> (necromancer specific) that will help me prosper? I've got the force bolt
> spell, my others are too high-level to be of immediate use. Also, what does
> my Ghoul eat, if anything? I saw him devour a kobold corpse once, I'm not
> sure if it was a former Kobold Mummy or not...

So I find one of the key advantages of the Necromancer thing to be their
ability to detect the b/u/c status of things like priests do. Also super
advantageous are that you are immune to sickness and level drain from the
start-- the first means you can eat corpses that may be old wihtout worrying,
as well as making Demo easier (if you get that far..), the later is obv quite
useful in a variety of situations. The ability to detect nearby undead is a
natural effect of being a level 3 necromancer..
Your ghoul should eat pretty much any aged corpses, iirc.

Things you might try:
- Neturals can get good defensive artifacts (esp Whisperfeet and the
Gauntlets of Defense), also Magicbane is good for its Engraving abilities.
Since you have an altar handy, you might try to get some of these things..
- Drain life is an excellent spell. Most creatures that will give you
trouble in the earlier parts of the game arent drain resistant, and
so you can hurt them, and make them less effective against you at the
same time.
- As usual, if you can scour up a wish, get some DSM-- either grey or
silver...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

> So I find one of the key advantages of the Necromancer thing to be their
> ability to detect the b/u/c status of things like priests do. Also super
> advantageous are that you are immune to sickness and level drain from the
> start-- the first means you can eat corpses that may be old wihtout
> worrying,
> as well as making Demo easier (if you get that far..), the later is obv
> quite
> useful in a variety of situations. The ability to detect nearby undead is
> natural effect of being a level 3 necromancer..
> Your ghoul should eat pretty much any aged corpses, iirc.

Cool! Those are very handy immunities. Means I should be able to eat my
own undead if worse comes to worst...

I figured I might have the b/u/c detect ability, but I think Slashem doesn't
use "uncursed" as a listed adjective, so I wasn't sure. It should come in
very handy.

> Things you might try:
> - Neturals can get good defensive artifacts (esp Whisperfeet and the
> Gauntlets of Defense), also Magicbane is good for its Engraving
> abilities.
> Since you have an altar handy, you might try to get some of these
> things..
> - Drain life is an excellent spell. Most creatures that will give you
> trouble in the earlier parts of the game arent drain resistant, and
> so you can hurt them, and make them less effective against you at the
> same time.

Hm, I know the create monster spell too...though I'm too low level to cast
it. Does your skill go up after failed attempts to cast something, or only
on successes?

Right now my problem is starving to death. I've had to pray for food twice
now. Hopefully the shop will have some rations.

> - As usual, if you can scour up a wish, get some DSM-- either grey or
> silver...

For sure. Those I'm familar with.

Warpwizard

Died.

Opened a door. Centipede. Bites. Poisoned. I die.

What could I have done about that? Bah. :(

- Warpwizard

Warpwizard wrote:

> I figured I might have the b/u/c detect ability, but I think Slashem
> doesn't use "uncursed" as a listed adjective, so I wasn't sure. It
> should come in very handy.

Neither does vanilla NetHack, when you play a priest. Since you know you
have the ability, for every item, just leaving out blessed or cursed
suffices.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

I've been wondering, where does one get slash'em?

www.slashem.org has everything you need.