JCDyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
I was wondering what cpu was better for gaming. The AMD ThunderBird 1.33GHz, or the Pentium 4 1.7GHz. What is everyons opions, what disadvatanges/advantages are there for the different CPUs in gaming aspects. Any help is appreciated.
Jason

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Currently the Athlon FPU is better then the P4. The p4 is only faster then the athlon when a program is written for SSE2. Well you have 500-900mhz right now that should for a while and what for Q3 and see the Northwood P4 and the Athlon 4. See if the northwood FPU is better then the athlon. Well if you have under 500mhz go get the athlon. Cuz im waiting for northwood p4.

:redface: :cool: :eek: :frown: :lol: :mad: :smile: :tongue: :wink:
The only nice Intel guy.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
The best CPU for power gaming is nVidia GeForce3 or the upcoming Radeon2.

The general processor is far less important as both Intel & AMD both have extremely fast processors, which provide plenty of juice.

If you are a real serious gamer focus your dollar on your video card, sound card, monitor, speakers, joystick, mouse, keyboard, desk, chair & internet connection.

The best thing to do is buy a motherboard with a long upgrade potential and get a reasonably priced CPU. Then just slap in new processors as the price comes down and your gaming justifies the increased power.

If you are favouring P4 then ABSOLUTELY wait for Northwood, it's not far away and it will provide a good upgrade path. AMD T-Bird is a great buy today, but possibly not as inspiring once Northwood appears, then again T-Bred should be a direct upgrade from T-bird so either way you have a long future of awesome gaming. Good Luck.

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek:

G

Don't forget about memory dude!

<Common Sense is a gift that some of us have returned.>

TRENDING THREADS