Pudding farming?

I often hear about "pudding farming", which seems to involve camping
out at an altar and slaughtering loads of puddings for sacrificing.
What exactly is this, and how would I go about doing it?

On 2005-04-03, NeoUltima <neoatmaa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I often hear about "pudding farming", which seems to involve camping
> out at an altar and slaughtering loads of puddings for sacrificing.
> What exactly is this, and how would I go about doing it?

The basic idea is that puddings divide when hit with metal objects.
You can get some metal object which will do little to no damage to
the puddings, and divide them like crazy. You might get yourself
started with a cursed scroll of genocide, or a cursed figurine
or something.

Personally, I think it sounds boring, and Id rather go
explore the dungeon...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

Am 2 Apr 2005 20:15:52 -0800 schrieb NeoUltima:

> I often hear about "pudding farming", which seems to involve camping
> out at an altar and slaughtering loads of puddings for sacrificing.
> What exactly is this, and how would I go about doing it?

..
..
..

0. Prerequisites: Be quite tough (black puddings are serious enemies) and
have all your worn/wielded stuff rust/corrodeproofed. It is also adviseable
to have a means of quick escape like level teleport or a quest artifact
that can help you with that.
1. Get a weak edged weapon (like a knife or a dagger) and
rust/corrode/blunt it or enchant it negatively
2. Get one black pudding (by continuously polymorphing some creature until
you get lucky, kicking a sink, wishing for a figurine of black pudding,
stone-to-fleshing a statue of a black pudding, or polymorphing into one and
splitting yourself, though I'm not sure if the two latter work; or one of
the dozens of other possibilities I forgot)
3. Attack this black pudding with your weak edged weapon. If it had more
than 1 hp, it will (at least VERY probably) split up into two black
puddings, each with (roughly) half the hitpoints of the first one (not sure
about details here...). A stethoscope can help you with finding the
toughest pudding around to ensure many splits.
4. Repeat, until the level is filled with black puddings. It is adviseable
to work your way towards the altar first.
5. Take your normal weapon and start killing the puddings and sacrifice
them.
6.When there's only one pudding left, switch back to the weak edged weapon
(if you can still find it between all those artifacts that clutter your
inventory now) and start over...

During this process, be VERY careful about randomly generated different
monsters, especially nymphs, foocubi or strong monsters that can seriously
dent your hitpoints. You can't flee between all those puddings, and you
also don't want to be surrounded by black puddings when naked and/or
weaponless...

Have fun, and keep in mind that pudding farming grants great rewards, but
is also boring and dangerous.

Paul

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <fe7bzxzn543$.15v1yni63unvd.dlg@40tude.net>,
Paul C. Bischof <slfjkdwrdlsori.20.pcb@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>Am 2 Apr 2005 20:15:52 -0800 schrieb NeoUltima:
>
>> I often hear about "pudding farming", which seems to involve camping
>> out at an altar and slaughtering loads of puddings for sacrificing.
>> What exactly is this, and how would I go about doing it?

>.
>.
>.
>
>0. Prerequisites: Be quite tough (black puddings are serious enemies) and
>have all your worn/wielded stuff rust/corrodeproofed. It is also adviseable
>to have a means of quick escape like level teleport or a quest artifact
>that can help you with that.

Indeed. By the time you can do this safely, you're probably at a point
where you need to decide whether you want to get quickly to the planes,
or else drag out the middle game for as long as possible.

Doing puddings can really help on the way to extinctionist, for example,
and it is on the short list of ways for a polypile-less wishless
character to get items.

Brown puddings are a little easier to manage, earlier.

>1. Get a weak edged weapon (like a knife or a dagger) and
>rust/corrode/blunt it or enchant it negatively

Better to use a non-weapon, like a key. An iron helm works well also.

>2. Get one black pudding (by continuously polymorphing some creature until
>you get lucky, kicking a sink, wishing for a figurine of black pudding,
>stone-to-fleshing a statue of a black pudding, or polymorphing into one and
>splitting yourself, though I'm not sure if the two latter work; or one of
>the dozens of other possibilities I forgot)

Brown puddings work too, but they don't have as many hitpoints, so it's
a bit more of a patience game to grow them.

If you think you're really going to do this for a while, it's a pretty
good idea to prepare the level by digging out rock, lighting it up, and
making a nice fortress with boulders on Elbereth squares near your
altar. You're going to be standing here for a LOT of turns; you'll be
coming back here from time to time as the game progresses, and you'll
have things like arch-liches, cockatrices, etc, sneaking in on the
perimeter. You want to see them coming and be able to take care of
them. Another kind of rotten thing is when some of the puddings get
slimed. You'll come across puddings that you've named, that are now
slimes. Kind of funny, kind of scary.

DON'T use Stormbringer against puddings -- it drops their level, and
then the siblings will be lower level too.

>3. Attack this black pudding with your weak edged weapon. If it had more
>than 1 hp, it will (at least VERY probably) split up into two black
>puddings, each with (roughly) half the hitpoints of the first one (not sure
>about details here...). A stethoscope can help you with finding the
>toughest pudding around to ensure many splits.

Yep, also handy to be able to cast healing/extra healing on columns of
them.

Pets and pudding farms don't mix, at least, not good pets. They will
kill them faster than you can spawn them. Several times I've been down
to the last pudding, or had to undead-turn a corpse because a pet dragon
or titan was a little too agressive. Pretty surprising, considering the
level can go from 1300+ puddings to zero.

>5. Take your normal weapon and start killing the puddings and sacrifice
>them.

I suggest using a unicorn horn to cull, or keep using the key (or the
rusty weilded helm) to kill them, sacrifice the ones that die on the
altar, #name them to keep them from stacking with stale ones, and
occassionaly maybe let a gelatinous cube loose and/or keep a cursed bag
of holding, to get rid of the huge, possibly game-crashing, amount of
garbage that they drop. For every magic marker or helm of brilliance,
you're going to have a few hundred pages of useless armor to get rid of,
get it?

Every now and then I reverse-genocide gelatinous cubes or tame a Xorn or
two. Be careful with a cursed BoH, of course.

>6.When there's only one pudding left, switch back to the weak edged weapon
>(if you can still find it between all those artifacts that clutter your
>inventory now) and start over...

After you have a few hundred puddings, you don't have to worry about the
population. Just kill, move, sac, pickup, move back, rinse, repeat.

>During this process, be VERY careful about randomly generated different
>monsters, especially nymphs, foocubi or strong monsters that can seriously
>dent your hitpoints.

Master mind flayers with their ranged psychic attack is annoying.
Spellcasters/summoners are really annoying, especially if you can't get
to them without swimming through your sea of P's.

>Have fun, and keep in mind that pudding farming grants great rewards

Surplus food for an indefinite middle game turns out to be the most
important aspect of this technique. You can actually get just as much
loot, if not more, by camping and casting create monster, eating,
recharging, etc. The problem with that, of course, is you run out of
food as creatures start to extinct, whereas with Puddings, you can
go indefinitely.

Nesta, killed by a black pudding named turn#138447
% - a piece of food (elf corpse named Nesta)

> I often hear about "pudding farming", which seems to involve camping
> out at an altar and slaughtering loads of puddings for sacrificing.
> What exactly is this, and how would I go about doing it?

Here goes:

Thoroughly

utterly

totally devastating

spoiler

space

http://scavenger.homeip.net/farmbot/PuddingFarmingHOWTO

Greetings,
blindy

james wrote:
> Brown puddings are actually easier. They split when hit with a metal
> object, just like black, but they rot cloth and leather, as opposed to
> corroding metal, and they aren't as tough. The drawback is they have
> less hitpoints to begin with so it takes a lot longer to build up the
> farm.

Brown puddings also only drop a corpse 1/3 of the time, if you're doing
it for sacrifice purposes, and they're worth less to sac.

The less HP is a considerable drawback, but brown puddings do exactly no
damage and so are harmless if you've got rotproof or metal equipment. So
you can farm them a lot earlier. Move on to black when you can.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:23:19 -0500,
Andy Johnson wrote:

> james wrote:
> > Brown puddings are actually easier. They split when hit with a metal
> > object, just like black, but they rot cloth and leather, as opposed to
> > corroding metal, and they aren't as tough. The drawback is they have
> > less hitpoints to begin with so it takes a lot longer to build up the
> > farm.
>
> Brown puddings also only drop a corpse 1/3 of the time, if you're doing
> it for sacrifice purposes, and they're worth less to sac.
>
> The less HP is a considerable drawback, but brown puddings do exactly no
> damage and so are harmless if you've got rotproof or metal equipment. So
> you can farm them a lot earlier. Move on to black when you can.

Maybe blue jellies could be used instead of puddings, since blue jellies
sometimes multiply from your body heat when you punch them. Or would it
be too risky or not rewarding enough?

S.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <vOW3e.133977$dP1.471187@newsc.telia.net>,
Sevenhundred Elves <sevenhundred@elves.invalid> wrote:

>Maybe blue jellies could be used instead of puddings, since blue jellies
>sometimes multiply from your body heat when you punch them. Or would it
>be too risky or not rewarding enough?

They won't give you anywhere near the same haul of loot that puddings
do, and it wouldn't be an advantage over, say, create monster. Takes
way more patience too. You could do the same for brown molds.

james wrote:
> Pets and pudding farms don't mix, at least, not good pets. They will
> kill them faster than you can spawn them. Several times I've been down
> to the last pudding, or had to undead-turn a corpse because a pet dragon
> or titan was a little too agressive. Pretty surprising, considering the
> level can go from 1300+ puddings to zero.

It's different when the pet itself can farm for you. An angel or a
marilith has multiple weapon attacks in a round, and if the weapon is an
iron one then you have a farming machine.
I've witnessed an angel (with a +7 artifact longsword, forgot which one
of the three angels that levelported all over the dungeon it was)
generating like ten or so pudding corpses when he met a single black
one. It was quite surprising the puddings survived so long, but if you
replace the maxxed sword with a dull knife...
And when an usable weapon is generated, you may use a bullwhip.

1KB

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <d2s0ul$8vs@cleon.cc.gatech.edu>,
Byron A Jeff <byron@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

>Question: would you consider the puddingBot cheating?

Not really, but I wouldn't touch it. Closest I come to using a
bot is a key with "E-y Elbereth" programmed on it.

I would get a certain amount of sadistic enjoyment from seeing
a bot-farmer enter a situation that his bot couldn't handle, which
gets him into real trouble.

> I would get a certain amount of sadistic enjoyment from seeing
> a bot-farmer enter a situation that his bot couldn't handle, which
> gets him into real trouble.

You may feel enjoyed because that's what happened a lot early on :)
But now the bot simply stops and waits for user input if it encounters a
situation that it cannot handle (unknown messages) or deems too dangerous to
handle (turning to stone).

Greetings,
Benjamin

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:
>> I would get a certain amount of sadistic enjoyment from seeing
>> a bot-farmer enter a situation that his bot couldn't handle, which
>> gets him into real trouble.
>
> You may feel enjoyed because that's what happened a lot early on :)
> But now the bot simply stops and waits for user input if it encounters a
> situation that it cannot handle (unknown messages) or deems too dangerous to
> handle (turning to stone).

Not to mention not screwing up.
I've lost gained protection thrice this game, by sacrificing various things,
or accidentally praying before timeout.