Are Angels intelligent ?

Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and give it
either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?

1. Throwing holy water at the Angel does not remove the curse. The
Bullwhip still just slips off the bow.
2. Dropping a blessed scroll of remove curse and summoning the Angel
seems not to work. It just keeps pickling up and dropping the scroll
without reading it, the stupid monster.

What's the solution ? It kills nearby nymphs with a swipe or two of it's
bow. It is fast and invisible, AC -23.

Temporarily polymorphing it into a handless creature should do, but can
this be achieved ?

> Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and give it
> either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?
I'm not absolutely sure, but polymorphing into a nymph and stealing the bow from
it should work I guess.

Greetings,
Benjamin

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

>> Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and
>> give it either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?
> I'm not absolutely sure, but polymorphing into a nymph and stealing
> the bow from it should work I guess.

What ever happened to applying a whip or billyclub, or are two handed
weapons immune to that?

You could also cancel the Angel (although this may not work) or use
conflict while a nymph or foocubus is next to it.

Jorge

jorge estrada wrote:
> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>

>>>Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and
>>>give it either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?
>>
>>I'm not absolutely sure, but polymorphing into a nymph and stealing
>>the bow from it should work I guess.
>>

> What ever happened to applying a whip or billyclub, or are two handed
> weapons immune to that?

Nah, it's the cursed weapons that are immune to that.

Surprisingly, IIRC, bows aren't two-handed.

> You could also cancel the Angel (although this may not work)

Good idea.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/

mark

jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<d2p942$k99$1@domitilla.aioe.org>...
> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>
> >> Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and
> >> give it either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?
> > I'm not absolutely sure, but polymorphing into a nymph and stealing
> > the bow from it should work I guess.
> >

> What ever happened to applying a whip or billyclub, or are two handed
> weapons immune to that?
>
> You could also cancel the Angel (although this may not work) or use
> conflict while a nymph or foocubus is next to it.
>
> Jorge

Prefereably when the angel is asleep / paralised etc and cant kill the
nymph in one or two swipes

Tom Goodman wrote:
> 1. Throwing holy water at the Angel does not remove the curse. The
> Bullwhip still just slips off the bow.

Sorry, i seemed to have missed this post. How much work are you
willing to put into getting that weapon changed?

Tom Goodman wrote:

> Problem: How to remove a cursed crude bow from a pet angel, and give
> it either the +7 Sunsword or a +7 Trident ?
>
> 1. Throwing holy water at the Angel does not remove the curse. The
> Bullwhip still just slips off the bow.

> 2. Dropping a blessed scroll of remove curse and summoning the Angel
> seems not to work. It just keeps pickling up and dropping the scroll
> without reading it, the stupid monster.

Pets don't use holy water or scrolls of remove curse

> What's the solution ? It kills nearby nymphs with a swipe or two of
> it's bow. It is fast and invisible, AC -23.

And here is the work part. You can buff up the nymphs first. If taming
is easy tame one and let it gain levels. Then use conflict or kick it
until it turns hostile or peaceful. Then i might survive long enough
to steal that bow.

If you can get a pet foocubus even better. You can also use hostile
focubus to have them steal the bow with their charm attack. They at
least will last longer than the nymphs. And if they don't last long
enough you need to buff them up first somehow. The only problem with
any demon is that you can't charm them unless your a demon yourself.
Have fun doing the polytrap shuffle. (or use conflict to buff them up)

> Temporarily polymorphing it into a handless creature should do, but
> can this be achieved ?

No. Once you change it to another form it will never poly back into an
angel.

If i were you i would just go charm another pet. That would be much
easier.

Jorge

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>>> Surprisingly, IIRC, bows aren't two-handed.
>> That's not surprising. You need two hands to operate it, yes.
>>But you only hold it with one hand and with the other you hold the
>>arrow.

>Which should mean that you couldn't hold a sword in either hand, which

>the game currently allows.

So, unless the arrow is also wielded and cursed, the bow is only taking
up one hand.

jorge estrada <jestrada5@yahoo.com> writes:

> > What's the solution ? It kills nearby nymphs with a swipe or two of
> > it's bow. It is fast and invisible, AC -23.
>
> And here is the work part. You can buff up the nymphs first.

It somehow seems easier to disable the angel first by means
of sleep or paralyze.

Best,
Jakob

Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

> Which should mean that you couldn't hold a sword in either hand, which
> the game currently allows.

You mean #twoweapon'ing a bow and a sword?

It appears that my tourist alter-ego can polymorph into ,say, a mountain
nymph, but she finds that potions of sleep have no effect on the angel
concerned. Furthermore the said nymph "monster ability2 seems only to be
removal of an iron ball & chain. It's not at all obvious how to "steal"
the cursed bow from the dammned Angel !
Using a ring of ploymorph control and a wand of polymorph. He also has a
ring of polymorph-perhaps this would be more convenient ? Polymorphing
back with the wand can be done: how about with the two ring combination
? This has yetr to be tried, but he doesn't want to make a blunder,
being a promising character.

Tom Goodman wrote:
> It appears that my tourist alter-ego can polymorph into ,say, a mountain
> nymph, but she finds that potions of sleep have no effect on the angel
> concerned. Furthermore the said nymph "monster ability2 seems only to be
> removal of an iron ball & chain. It's not at all obvious how to "steal"
> the cursed bow from the dammned Angel !
> Using a ring of ploymorph control and a wand of polymorph. He also has a
> ring of polymorph-perhaps this would be more convenient ? Polymorphing
> back with the wand can be done: how about with the two ring combination
> ? This has yetr to be tried, but he doesn't want to make a blunder,
> being a promising character.

Well, you can steal money with #borrow, but I don't know about items...

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Shadow wrote:

> Well, you can steal money with #borrow, but I don't know about items...

Only in Slash'em, I believe; it's not clear from the thread whether this
is a Slash'em game. (And if it is, the subject ought to be tagged, so I
can avoid it)

Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> writes:

> Well, you can steal money with #borrow, but I don't know about items...

There is no such command in standard Nethack.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Tom Goodman wrote:

> It appears that my tourist alter-ego can polymorph into ,say, a
> mountain nymph, but she finds that potions of sleep have no effect
> on the angel concerned. Furthermore the said nymph "monster ability2
> seems only to be removal of an iron ball & chain. It's not at all
> obvious how to "steal" the cursed bow from the dammned Angel !

Have you tried attacking your angel barehanded? I believe you you have
to use the F command to do it and might make the angel go feral in
the process.(because doing this only gives you a chance to steal
something from your buddy.) If you can retame this angel then you
could probably go and tame another one with a lot less hassle.

Jorge

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> writes:
>

>>Well, you can steal money with #borrow, but I don't know about items...
>

> There is no such command in standard Nethack.

It is Falcon's Eye ! And still it is unclear how to steal the cursed
bow, having polymorphed into a Mountain Nymph. With by the way HP now
11, down from 601 !

Tom Goodman wrote:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>> Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> writes:

>>> Well, you can steal money with #borrow, but I don't know about
>>> items...

>> There is no such command in standard Nethack.

> It is Falcon's Eye ! And still it is unclear how to steal the cursed
> bow, having polymorphed into a Mountain Nymph. With by the way HP now
> 11, down from 601 !

Falon's Eye IS vanilla NetHack.

It may look differently, but gameplay is exactly the same.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).