rings of polymorph and poly control

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I have just ID'ed my cursed rings, and two of them happen
to be Polymorph and Polymorph-control. Since this is a
_relatively_ good game so far, I don't want to waste it
by learning another stupid way to die.

So, what risk is there in wearing both rings?
I know about hunger, but:
- Can I suffer an "unsuccessful polymorph" and die because
of the rings? (polymorph + poly control)
- What monsters can I polymorph in, without breaking my
armor?
- Does the polymorph last shorter if I remove the "oPoly
after transforming?

--
Manuel

Manuel wrote:
> So, what risk is there in wearing both rings?
> I know about hunger, but:
> - What monsters can I polymorph in, without breaking my
> armor?
I believe there's a spoiler on this. In any case, vampire lords or mind
flayers are one of the best choices, but don't attack a cockatrice. If
you take off your armor (so as not to break it), a Xorn can be TONS of
fun, eating rings and phasing and all; they also have excellent
intrinsics, including stoning resistance!

Also consider a winged gargoyle or purple worm; if you get a female
form, you can #sit to lay eggs, which hatch into very powerful pets.
(Dragons can too, but I think they're a pain to get to adulthood)

When in doubt, take off your armor (, cloak, and shirt) before the
polymorph, then just put it back on afterwards. If it fits, you don't
have to take it off next time.

> - Does the polymorph last shorter if I remove the "oPoly
> after transforming?

The "oPoly just has a chance to 'fire' every turn (something like 1/300
chance). Take it off, and you stop polying. You generally want to take
it off. The "oPolyControl can come off as well; you only need it at the
start. Just remember to put it back on when you re-poly!

Manuel wrote:

> - Can I suffer an "unsuccessful polymorph" and die because
> of the rings? (polymorph + poly control)

No. Control also confers protection from dying of "system shock", as
it's usually called.

> - What monsters can I polymorph in, without breaking my
> armor?

Think logically. Turning into something large will rip your body armour,
turning into something small will make you unable to wear it as well,
but will not destroy it.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).