are there any easy ways to get poison resistance?

My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a flame
mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that won't
stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
helps against other types of effects.

Warpwizard

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Warpwizard wrote:
> <snip> ...Is there any easy
way
> to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance
of
> getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that
only
> weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know
it
> helps against other types of effects.

I usually get poison resistance by eating small poisonous creatures,
like
killer bees. The chance is slim each time, but trying once
and again works eventually. Of course you need to be more careful with
your HPs.

AFAIK, no kind of "normal" armor protects you against poison. And the
armor
that would convey that resistance is out of the reach of a beginning
character -unless you get a wish, which you should use in something
else
anyway-.

--
Manuel.

On 2005-04-04, Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:
> My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a flame
> mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that won't
> stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
> to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
> getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
> weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
> helps against other types of effects.

There are creatures which can be eaten that have a chance of confering
posion resistance that are not poisonous themselves- some of them include
[this list is from slashem, since I assume you are playing that from
your flame mage reference] quivering blob, jiggling blob,
static blob, burbling blob, chickatrice, cockatrice [ofc, only if
polyed into something where its non stupid to eat them], pyrolisk,
quasit, tengu, blue jelly, clear jelly, Grund the Orc King, cave spider,
centipede, recluse spiders, carrion crawler, nickelpede, all unicorns,
xan, wyvern, hydra, brown mold, red mold, shrieker, violet fungus (will make
you hallicinate though), disgusting mold, black mold, the Larget Giant,
all naga and naga hatchlings, all P except green slimes, pythons, flesh
golems, nurses [humans- may be canibalism], Rodney [also human],
rhaumbusun, and basilisk [ofc, only if stoning resistant].

Also, you can be poison resistant by some other means (polyed, ring, amulet),
eat a posionous corpse, and gain the intrinsic, then remove the ring or
amulet, or poly into something else.
--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

> There are creatures which can be eaten that have a chance of confering
> posion resistance that are not poisonous themselves- some of them include
> [this list is from slashem, since I assume you are playing that from
> your flame mage reference] quivering blob, jiggling blob,
> static blob, burbling blob, chickatrice, cockatrice [ofc, only if
> polyed into something where its non stupid to eat them], pyrolisk,
> quasit, tengu, blue jelly, clear jelly, Grund the Orc King, cave spider,
> centipede, recluse spiders, carrion crawler, nickelpede, all unicorns,
> xan, wyvern, hydra, brown mold, red mold, shrieker, violet fungus (will
> make
> you hallicinate though), disgusting mold, black mold, the Larget Giant,
> all naga and naga hatchlings, all P except green slimes, pythons, flesh
> golems, nurses [humans- may be canibalism], Rodney [also human],
> rhaumbusun, and basilisk [ofc, only if stoning resistant].

Cool, I guess I'll just have to lurk on the very upper levels and eat lots
of fungus, molds and blobs. Hallucinations here I come! :)

> Also, you can be poison resistant by some other means (polyed, ring,
> amulet),
> eat a posionous corpse, and gain the intrinsic, then remove the ring or
> amulet, or poly into something else.
> --

A good point to remember.

Thanks for the info everyone.

---
Warpwizard

"Warpwizard" <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:
>My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a flame
>mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that won't
>stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
>to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
>getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
>weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
>helps against other types of effects.

Magic cancellation will certainly protect you from poisoned melee attacks.

There are several non-poisonous creatures that can give you poison
resistance (off the top of my head, unicorns, cave spiders, and
shriekers).

Tinned meat is not toxic, but retains its protective potency (and *some*
of its undesirable properties; tinned yellow mold will still give you a
bad trip and tinned cockatrice will still stone you, for instance), so
if you find a tinning kit you can tin poisonous corpses and eat them.

(a)pplying a unicorn horn can restore lost strength, so once you've got
a unicorn horn you can chow down on poisonous corpses pretty much to
your heart's content as long as you watch your hit points.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Warpwizard wrote the following -._
> My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a flame
> mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that won't
> stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
> to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
> getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
> weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
> helps against other types of effects.

An addition to what others have said.
Wizards normally start with two rings. Sometimes one of these rings
is a ring of sustain ability or poison resistance.

If you have it put it on right before feasting on the types of
critters that give you poison resistance.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Andrew D. Hilton" <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote in

> On 2005-04-04, Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a
flame
>> mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that
won't
>> stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
>> to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
>> getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
>> weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
>> helps against other types of effects.
>>

> There are creatures which can be eaten that have a chance of confering
> posion resistance that are not poisonous themselves- some of them include
> [this list is from slashem, since I assume you are playing that from
> your flame mage reference] quivering blob, jiggling blob,
> static blob, burbling blob, chickatrice, cockatrice [ofc, only if
> polyed into something where its non stupid to eat them], pyrolisk,
> quasit, tengu, blue jelly, clear jelly, Grund the Orc King, cave spider,
> centipede, recluse spiders, carrion crawler, nickelpede, all unicorns,
> xan, wyvern, hydra, brown mold, red mold, shrieker, violet fungus (will
make
> you hallicinate though), disgusting mold, black mold, the Larget Giant,
> all naga and naga hatchlings, all P except green slimes, pythons, flesh
> golems, nurses [humans- may be canibalism], Rodney [also human],
> rhaumbusun, and basilisk [ofc, only if stoning resistant].
>
> Also, you can be poison resistant by some other means (polyed, ring,
amulet),
> eat a posionous corpse, and gain the intrinsic, then remove the ring or
> amulet, or poly into something else.

I have tended to use shriekers, and I don't think I've ever been poisoned by
one...

--
lisp LIVES!!!

Martin Read wrote:
> (a)pplying a unicorn horn can restore lost strength, so once you've got
> a unicorn horn you can chow down on poisonous corpses pretty much to
> your heart's content as long as you watch your hit points.

The poison was deadly...

Adam Borowski wrote:

> Martin Read wrote:
>> (a)pplying a unicorn horn can restore lost strength, so once you've got
>> a unicorn horn you can chow down on poisonous corpses pretty much to
>> your heart's content as long as you watch your hit points.
>
> The poison was deadly...

No, poison you eat will only kill you by HP loss, it's never deadly
poison.

Raisse, killed by a poisonous corpse

chuck wrote:
> "Andrew D. Hilton" <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote in
>

>>On 2005-04-04, Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a
>> flame
>>>mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that
>> won't
>>>stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
>>>to get poison resistance? I seem to remember there is a small chance of
>>>getting it from eating poisonous creatures, but usually doing that only
>>>weakens you... Does wearing a cloak help resistance at all? I know it
>>>helps against other types of effects.
>>>

>>There are creatures which can be eaten that have a chance of confering
>>posion resistance that are not poisonous themselves- some of them include
>>[this list is from slashem, since I assume you are playing that from
>>your flame mage reference] quivering blob, jiggling blob,
>>static blob, burbling blob, chickatrice, cockatrice [ofc, only if
>>polyed into something where its non stupid to eat them], pyrolisk,
>>quasit, tengu, blue jelly, clear jelly, Grund the Orc King, cave spider,
>>centipede, recluse spiders, carrion crawler, nickelpede, all unicorns,
>>xan, wyvern, hydra, brown mold, red mold, shrieker, violet fungus (will
>> make
>>you hallicinate though), disgusting mold, black mold, the Larget Giant,
>>all naga and naga hatchlings, all P except green slimes, pythons, flesh
>>golems, nurses [humans- may be canibalism], Rodney [also human],
>>rhaumbusun, and basilisk [ofc, only if stoning resistant].
>>
>>Also, you can be poison resistant by some other means (polyed, ring,
>> amulet),
>>eat a posionous corpse, and gain the intrinsic, then remove the ring or
>>amulet, or poly into something else.
>

> I have tended to use shriekers, and I don't think I've ever been poisoned by
> one...

What are you talking about? Shriekers are on that list of non-poisonous
corpses that confer the resistance...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote in news:mnB4e.1085$VF5.1003@edtnps89:

> chuck wrote:
>> "Andrew D. Hilton" <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote in

>>> flame
>>> won't
>>>>

>>>There are creatures which can be eaten that have a chance of confering
>>>posion resistance that are not poisonous themselves- some of them include
>>>[this list is from slashem, since I assume you are playing that from
>>>your flame mage reference] quivering blob, jiggling blob,
>>>static blob, burbling blob, chickatrice, cockatrice [ofc, only if
>>>polyed into something where its non stupid to eat them], pyrolisk,
>>>quasit, tengu, blue jelly, clear jelly, Grund the Orc King, cave spider,
>>>centipede, recluse spiders, carrion crawler, nickelpede, all unicorns,
>>>xan, wyvern, hydra, brown mold, red mold, shrieker, violet fungus (will
>>> make
>>>you hallicinate though), disgusting mold, black mold, the Larget Giant,
>>>all naga and naga hatchlings, all P except green slimes, pythons, flesh
>>>golems, nurses [humans- may be canibalism], Rodney [also human],
>>>rhaumbusun, and basilisk [ofc, only if stoning resistant].
>>>
>>>Also, you can be poison resistant by some other means (polyed, ring,
>>> amulet),
>>>eat a posionous corpse, and gain the intrinsic, then remove the ring or
>>>amulet, or poly into something else.
>>

>> I have tended to use shriekers, and I don't think I've ever been poisoned
by
>> one...
>>

> What are you talking about? Shriekers are on that list of non-poisonous
> corpses that confer the resistance...

and your point is?

--
lisp LIVES!!!

chuck wrote:
> BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote in news:mnB4e.1085$VF5.1003@edtnps89:
>>chuck wrote:
>>>
>>>I have tended to use shriekers, and I don't think I've ever been poisoned
>>>by one...
>>
>>What are you talking about? Shriekers are on that list of non-poisonous
>>corpses that confer the resistance...
>
> and your point is?

His point probably is that it doesn't make much sense to point out
that shrieker can confer poison resistance while not being poisonous

If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <eYh4e.10094$Ln.458910@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com> wrote:

>My wizard-types keep dying of random poisoning. I was just playing a flame
>mage and doing pretty well, playing smart and cautious, but even that won't
>stop you from dying from a poisoned Uruk-hai arrow. Is there any easy way
>to get poison resistance?

Easiest way? Play a healer or barbarian or caveman or orcish.
Wizards at least have a chance of being generated with the ring.

Eat a unicorn, cave spider, shreiker, or garter snake. Tinned for
more reliability. Once you get the unicorn horn you can try more
dangerous corpses, but not until then, unless you get lucky with restore
ability and don't mind the moderate risk of poison instadeath.

Why are you in the mines before getting poison resistance? Are you
searching for traps before moving? Are you watching your pet and/or
monsters step on squars before you step on them?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1112650442.858292.221020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Manuel <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:

>I usually get poison resistance by eating small poisonous creatures,
>like killer bees.

Do you realize the chance of instadeath is as high as the chance of
getting the resistance, with killer bees? Cave spiders, shriekers,
garter snakes, and unicorns are the safe corpses for poison resistance.

>AFAIK, no kind of "normal" armor protects you against poison.

There is a ring and an amulet, making poison resistance a little easier
than other resistances to acquire.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <d318ur$v65$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp00@web.de> wrote:

>> and your point is?
>
>His point probably is that it doesn't make much sense to point out
>that shrieker can confer poison resistance while not being poisonous

"I don't think I've ever been poisoned by one" needed to be clarified
to, "you can't be poisoned by one (provided it's fresh)."

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <T8n4e.13876$%d7.10398@lakeread03>,
Faux_Pseudo <f0sud0@gmail.com> wrote:

>An addition to what others have said.
>Wizards normally start with two rings. Sometimes one of these rings
>is a ring of sustain ability or poison resistance.

This actually makes Wizards the next easiest class to gain the
resistance after the classes/races that start with the intrinsic.

Quoting james <fishbowl@conservatory.com>:
>Manuel <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I usually get poison resistance by eating small poisonous creatures,
>>like killer bees.
>Do you realize the chance of instadeath is as high as the chance of
>getting the resistance, with killer bees?

Er, no. The chance of instadeath from eating a poisonous corpse is zero if
you have sufficient hitpoints.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Mania, April.

<fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:
[getting poison resistance]
>Eat a unicorn, cave spider, shreiker, or garter snake. Tinned for
>more reliability.

Tinning has no effect on the intrinsic-granting powers of meat and
protoplasm. It just makes it taste nicer, neutralises any poison, acid,
or bacteria (but not hallucinogens or petrifactants), and standardises
the size of the meal to "one homemade portion of tinned meat".

>Once you get the unicorn horn you can try more
>dangerous corpses, but not until then, unless you get lucky with restore
>ability and don't mind the moderate risk of poison instadeath.

There is no risk of poison instadeath from poisonous meat, except by
taking a sufficiently large amount of hit point damage to kill you.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP:

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Tinning has no effect on the intrinsic-granting powers of meat and
> protoplasm. It just makes it taste nicer, neutralises any poison, acid,
> or bacteria (but not hallucinogens or petrifactants), and standardises
> the size of the meal to "one homemade portion of tinned meat".

IHNJH, IJLS "petrifactants".

And that's an important point. The stupidest YASD I ever had, bar
none, was being petrified by a tin of medusa meat. That I made
myself. Yes, really. (I'd hoped to gain intrinsic petrification
resistance.)

The worst part about it was that it was a good enough game with an
uncommon enough class to stay on the high score list on that
(multiuser) box for months, with the exact nature of my foolishness
plain for all to see.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <GZA*7FvLq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Quoting james <fishbowl@conservatory.com>:
>>Manuel <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>I usually get poison resistance by eating small poisonous creatures,
>>>like killer bees.
>>Do you realize the chance of instadeath is as high as the chance of
>>getting the resistance, with killer bees?
>
>Er, no. The chance of instadeath from eating a poisonous corpse is zero if
>you have sufficient hitpoints.

I was mistaken about that. Sorry for the misinfo.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote in news:XNc5e.21$63.19@fed1read02:

> In article <d318ur$v65$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp00@web.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> and your point is?
>>
>>His point probably is that it doesn't make much sense to point out
>>that shrieker can confer poison resistance while not being poisonous
>

> "I don't think I've ever been poisoned by one" needed to be clarified
> to, "you can't be poisoned by one (provided it's fresh)."

if one wants that much of a hint. Also shriekers show up fairly early in the
game.

--
lisp LIVES!!!

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) writes:

> >AFAIK, no kind of "normal" armor protects you against poison.
> There is a ring and an amulet, making poison resistance a little easier
> than other resistances to acquire.

What about wearing an apron until "you feel healthy"?

Or does an apron not count as "normal"?

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

Mike

Splendid

james wrote:
> In article <87sm219y6i.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
> Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
>
> >What about wearing an apron until "you feel healthy"?
> >
> >Or does an apron not count as "normal"?
>
> I play a lot, and almost never see aprons except after polypiling.
> But okay. Good thing to find on DL1.

It's been a long number of games since I've seen aprons randomly, and
of course I had to see 2 of them that game. Acid+Poison resistance
makes the early game really nice.

Mike

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <87sm219y6i.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:

>What about wearing an apron until "you feel healthy"?
>
>Or does an apron not count as "normal"?

I play a lot, and almost never see aprons except after polypiling.
But okay. Good thing to find on DL1.

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) writes:

> I play a lot, and almost never see aprons except after polypiling.

I've found a few recently, but usually after I've gotten poison
resistance through more dangerous means...

Nick