Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I wrote an E-Mail to AMD a few days ago complaining about the poor chipset suport for their processors. I stated that they have a good product that has been brought down by ALI\SIS\VIA. Here is their reply

------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center. While I certainly understand your concerns, unforutnately we do not have any control over which chipests our motherboard partners use. We would be more than happy to sell our chipsets to motherboard vendors however since our
focus is on processors, it is difficult to compete on the chipset front with companies that are focused on chipsets.

If more motherboard companies here from customers such as yourself, perhaps they will offer more variety in their products.

Sorry that I could not offer you more.

Best Regards,
Jay Taylor
AMD Technical Service Center

Your new hardware is out-of-date

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Wow, I'm impressed for 2 reasons..

1) They actually replied

and

2) They replied with content pertaining to the actual subject matter at hand! Not some generic email template you get with so many companies these days.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

RCPilot

Champion
Wow! I'm impressed they replied as well. I wish that there was a better answer from them though. Maybe Geforce will come through & start in the chipset business. I think that would be a awesome combination. A4 - Geforce chipsets on a wicked ASUS MOBO pushed to 2 gig, I'd like it for sure. Games would rock.

Skinny

How do eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's either the guy is bluffing (no offense), or he mistyped it. Anyway, Speaking of which, I also got a REAL reply. I had a bad disk with my old Microcom modem, the guys at compaq sent the file to me through email the next day or so. I also had prob's with my Seagate drive and they were so kind and helpful. Makes me feel kinda bad I'm getting an IBM drive.

Sh!t Happens.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I think the company that gave me the finest tech support was Epson. When I first purchased my Expression 1600 scanner, I was running WinNT 4, so I took care to get the SCSI-enabled model. I couldn't get their driver to recognize it under WinNT (though the scanner worked great in Win98 and Linux). When I contacted their tech support about it, they were nice enough to actually send me an extra Adaptec SCSI card and cable for testing!

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem--but I updated to Win2K about that time, and the scanner worked just fine under that.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

That's interesting. However, I’m also interested in what you said in your email to AMD. Were you complaining about the compatibility and stability problems concerning Athlon chipsets or was it the lack of certain features? The AMD tech said this: "If more motherboard companies here from customers such as yourself, perhaps they will offer more <b>variety</b> in their products."
Just curious what he meant by “variety”?

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

G

I've got an MSI 694D Pro board with a Via 694x chipset driving 2 PIII 733Mhz units. It's even more stable than my Asus P2B-DS bx board running dual PII 450Mhz units. What I want to know is why don't the chipset manufacturers provide better support for Amd units? Via is doing a great job with my PIII's.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

G

Once AMD is accepted into mainstream businesses, I think we'll see some change. Otherwise, businesses are pretty much in bed with Intel..

<i>The more you brag about your CPU, the more we realize how small you are in other areas.</i>