Bug? (walking into lava)

I have a Valkyrie who's just finished the quest, but she had a scary
moment in the middle of it.

I used the "travel" command (_) to get to the stairway going up, and
it walked her right into a pool of lava. I thought the travel commend
was supposed to avoid known traps.

She managed to get out with a wand of teleportation, but lost her
boots (water walking, I think, though not identified for sure yet) in
the process -- they burned up. Very annoying.

Is this a bug? If so, is it a known bug?

Beth Friedman wrote:
> I have a Valkyrie who's just finished the quest, but she had a scary
> moment in the middle of it.
>
> I used the "travel" command (_) to get to the stairway going up, and
> it walked her right into a pool of lava. I thought the travel commend
> was supposed to avoid known traps.
>
> She managed to get out with a wand of teleportation, but lost her
> boots (water walking, I think, though not identified for sure yet) in
> the process -- they burned up. Very annoying.
>
> Is this a bug? If so, is it a known bug?

Maybe it thought they were fireproofed water walking, which (if you'd
had fire resistance) would have let you safely cross lava. It seems
unlikely that the travel command would actually check anything on your
character to see if it's safe though.

Beth Friedman <bjf@visi.com> writes:
> I have a Valkyrie who's just finished the quest, but she had a scary
> moment in the middle of it.
>
> I used the "travel" command (_) to get to the stairway going up, and
> it walked her right into a pool of lava. I thought the travel commend
> was supposed to avoid known traps.

Note that lava isn't, in game terms, a trap; it's a terrain type.

> She managed to get out with a wand of teleportation, but lost her
> boots (water walking, I think, though not identified for sure yet) in
> the process -- they burned up. Very annoying.
>
> Is this a bug? If so, is it a known bug?

Two major possibilities:

a) you're playing an older version, and ran into C342-28 "Travel
doesn't consider water or lava when selecting a path" (supposed to
have been fixed in 3.4.3), or
b) you started on a trap square and encountered C341-12 "If starting
from a location with a known trap, the travel command may
misbehave.", which is still open.

Minor possibilities would be your encountering an as-yet unlisted bug,
or the C342-28 fix not being as effective as it was supposed to be.

: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :

On 05 Apr 2005 01:27:07 +0100, psmithnews@spod-central.org (Dylan
O'Donnell) wrote:

>Beth Friedman <bjf@visi.com> writes:
>> I have a Valkyrie who's just finished the quest, but she had a scary
>> moment in the middle of it.
>>
>> I used the "travel" command (_) to get to the stairway going up, and
>> it walked her right into a pool of lava. I thought the travel commend
>> was supposed to avoid known traps.
>
>> She managed to get out with a wand of teleportation, but lost her
>> boots (water walking, I think, though not identified for sure yet) in
>> the process -- they burned up. Very annoying.
>>
>> Is this a bug? If so, is it a known bug?
>
>Two major possibilities:
>
>a) you're playing an older version, and ran into C342-28 "Travel
> doesn't consider water or lava when selecting a path" (supposed to
> have been fixed in 3.4.3), or

That's it. I hadn't realized I'm not running the current version, but
typing "v" tells me I'm using 3.4.2.

Thanks.

Are 3.4.2. bones files compatible with 3.4.3?

Beth Friedman <bjf@visi.com> writes:

> Are 3.4.2. bones files compatible with 3.4.3?

Yes. And so are save files, so you don't even need to finish your current
game before upgrading.

--
Jukka Lahtinen