AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was just curious if Intel has been selling P4s designed for servers. Right now it appears dual P3s are the best choice for servers. This is just a question, please do not take it as anything else.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4 is not too different from P-III in apps like that of server, it really shines in heavy duty data processing, especially when optimised for SSE2.

I havent seen any P4 server boards yet, but you might make a P4 server if you wish, with regular boards like Asus P4T or Intel D850GB.

btw dual-P3 is currently the best platform for servers, and a single P3 for small applications.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I generally frown on using homebuilts for servers. Homebuilts are fine for personal stuff and small businesses, but for the CPA firm where I work we generally use Compaq servers. Compaq seems to have incredible service.

G

AeroSnoop, what are some advantages to buying a pre-built (compaq or other major oem) server versus building your own? Im talking about a dual cpu system with scsi RAID.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everett6,

I guess the big thing would be warranty and the assurance of high-quality parts. There is no question whether or not everything will work together the way it should. If something does go wrong like a certain part fails, Compaq has always had a replacement part to us free of charge by 8:00 a.m. the next morning. We always have spare drives sitting on the shelf here but one time the MB went out on us and Compaq had a replacement to us the next morning. Do you have something against servers by Compaq/Dell?

G

No I don’t have anything against servers built by Compaq or dell. Except I do think most OEM servers are outrageously over-priced and over-rated. (Im only speaking about general purpose dual cpu servers). But I was just wondering why you frown on servers that aren’t built by a major OEM. I think anyone with the aptitude and with some research can build a server with just as much quality and reliability as OEM servers for half the price. I’ve done it many times.

G

I could build a server for my company a hundred times better BUT.. Am I willing to be responsible for any parts that break, or if the server goes down. do you know how long it takes to replace a hard drive thats under warrenty (A LONG TIME). This is why we use Compaq servers. They send us the parts overnight, and everyone is happy , and I still have my job :)

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah they are a bit pricey. It's nice having the backing of a name such as Compaq although. I am one of 2 network engineers for Beene Garter LLP, the largest CPA firm in Michigan. It's not always that easy to get a replacement part if something dies. With compaq there are no questions asked and we have the part the very next morning.

I shouldn't say I frown on building your own servers. With good research you can build your own servers and save quite a bit of money, we just don't do that here.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I like the Compaq servers and their support of them. Compared to their desktops the servers are like Jeckle and Hyde. Their servers are top-notch and are rock stable. Their service and support have never left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

However with Dell I have had a few run-ins. First was with a rack server that they failed to mention anywhere in their documentation or sight that it only fit in racks made by Dell.(They cost double what a similar rack costs!) They seem to only work best in the same specs they were shipped in as well. But for building a server for your job I wouldnt recommend it. If something breaks or is not working then you are SOL.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

G

I dislike like all the proprietary components and configurations that OEM’s like to throw in their boxes. I feel more comfortable administering servers that I have built. Because I know exactly what parts are in them and I know exactly how each one was assembled. I know each and every driver that was installed and every piece of software. I know every nook and cranny. I know my servers inside and out because I built and configured them with my own two hands, they are my babies. If something goes wrong? I know how to fix it, and I take that responsibility with ease. Tech support? Why you’re looking at him.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on what type of environment these servers are in. For some businesses its no big deal if they have to wait a few days to get a server back online. But for us, it's a huge deal if our email server is down for even a few hours. Especially during tax season for us, if our ProSystem (Tax software) server is down, the tax department goes into cannibal mode and comes after our heads :)

Nothing wrong with building your own servers, it really comes down to how available are the parts that make up your server and how fast can you get them.

G

I actually have two payroll database/application servers clustered using Win2k Adv Server. If a server fails or if I need to take one down for maintenance the other one takes over. This type of reliability insures that the accounting department stays happy and I sleep like a baby at nights. I hope to utilize clustering with our Exchange 2000 server as well. But the really cool part about it is, they only had to pay 8k for both servers when, for example, one Dell server of similar hardware configuration would have cost nearly the same amount as the two.

G

The main thing a comany wants is stability. Pre-builts are much more stable, especially right off the bat, than assembled ones. And as Aero said, they have the best warranties and replacement parts, as wel as other forms of service.

G

I bought a Compaq Armada 1750 off the auction from egghead.com last year and I notice that the service is decent with their business line. When I needed support, I got through without being put on hold, and got my problem fixed. I extended the warranty, because without it, CompUSA and other shops will want me to fork over $100+ up front, not including the cost of parts.

I agree with you, non-OEMs might make sense in small business, but not in larger corporations.

The more you brag about your CPU, the more we realize how small you are in other areas.

trak0r

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'm just wondering where you get the idea that ALL 'assemb led' servers are less reliable then prebuilt ones? Thats like saying all guys go to hell and women go to heaven... When I build a server, I will use the same chipsets/parts as compaq will use, plus I will make sure It is built correctly. Prebuilt servers are built as a repetious task, meaning, there can be a higher risk situation for problems to accur, mainly like forgettting to screw something in or NOT plugging in the power wires aall the way.

So, I don't really think Pre-builts are in my taste zone, expecially because to upgrade them you need to have someone from compaq show up, with special-designed MOBOs, and which csts considerably more in the end. I would prefer to hire a techno saavy guy who is cafeful and considerate in making no mistakes and save thousands of dollars a month.

Well... thats my 2 pennys

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, you better build it...
even I build them for my clients. they cost about half the price of branded one, and are much flexible, you could tweak the configuration as and when you wish. and as far as support is concerned, I have had no problems with it, since Intel and other guys (even in India) relpace parts within a week. As for support for Compaq, IBM and others I'd better say nothing.

The machines are class machines, but the cost you pay for them is to out of class. and that concerns me a lot.

As a matter of fact, you can keep another complete server as a redundant unit for replacement of parts, then you wont even have to wait for 8:00 AM next morning, you can have them right when you need them.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>