YAFAP Sylvanti Male Chaotic Elven Wizard

Ascension! After a mere 18 months, with a break of about 6 months
after I became discouraged by the seemingly endless stream of YASDs.

I have been alternately playing Elven Wizards and Samurai. Maybe 50 of
each so far. I've gotten into a pattern of descending to about lvl 5
of the main branch looking for a co-aligned altar and then to Minetown
if the mines are lit (or I have a lamp) or first to Sokoban otherwise.
I usually go to Mine's End after Sokoban for the luckstone. About
half the Wizards were making it past Mine's End (those polytraps can
generate insane foes), but this Wizard was the first to see Medusa's
Lair. They would always meet something that they couldn't get away
from and I'd never gotten below -6 AC before, so they'd just get
eaten. The Samurai were getting further, but usually lacked one of
reflection or magic resistance, so eventually they'd fall as well.

Sylvanti started with force bolt, remove curse, an enchant armor scroll
and not a lot else. The main branch yielded a cursed magic lamp (just
lying on the dungeon floor) and the mines were lit, allowing quick
access to Minetown. By the time I got to Minetown, I had two large
dogs. I've gotten much better at pet management, which really helps
a beginning Wizard. I'm still usually about level 8 when I get to
Minetown. I don't even try for the protection racket. I'm happy
to return at about level 11 with 30-40 thousand gold and get protection
then. I seem to always have plenty of cash by that time.

The Minetown altar was the first I'd seen and was co-aligned. I
quickly made holy water, blessed the lamp and used it to wish for +2
SDSM. I'm not really good enough to hold off using an early magic
lamp like this. I also got Magicbane with just a few sacrifices.
Magicbane makes a huge difference for the young Wizard, I find. Then I
head off to Sokoban.

The Oracle level is very lethal for me. I've been killed there
numerous times by soldier ants and the like. I try to spend as little
time there as possible. This time was even worse, because there was a
polytrap on the level and very scary monsters showed up on telepathy.
Happily, the downstairs was very near the upstairs and I was able to
avoid the level until I'd completed Sokoban.

It is amazing how much easier Sokoban is with decent armor. I've
memorized the solutions, so only wandering monsters surprise me.
Sokoban gave a bag of holding, which was very nice since Wizards have
such low starting strength.

The armor also helped with the descent to Mine's End, I'd bought
some protection and used some blessed enchant armor scrolls by this
time, so I think I had around -12 AC or so. Mine's End was one I
hadn't seen for a while - where you have to search for 7 secret
doors. There was a polytrap in a corridor that turned my dogs into a
quivering blob and something reasonable. I was still at level 8, I
think, so I didn't get anything super. The quivering blob got left
behind.

Below Sokoban, there were three successive levels with smallish general
stores on them. One of those had a book of identify in them. I think
that was the turning point for the game. (I'd earlier emptied a
magic marker trying to write one). I ID'ed everything I had and soon
had my armor down to -25 with speed boots and a ring of slow digestion
(which is a key piece of equipment for me). I also preemptively
genocided L and h (and later ;). I was level 11 at that point, and
from then on I was fairly unstoppable.

I did Fort Ludios before the Quest, and acquired some pet dragons. (I
was sad that they never used their breath weapons). I've been killed
by Croesus before. I had Magic Missile by that time, so I gave him a
bit of long distance respect. The Quest was easy, and, with the eye, I
didn't run out of energy again until I started polypiling in
preparation for the ascension run.

I used water walking boots at Medusa. I was invisible, but had just
read on RGRN that SDSM would still work if I wore a mummy wrapping.
(Thanks Raisse, I think you saved me there!) I force-bolted the door
of the Castle and used a wand of cold to get inside. I was still
fairly low level (I had to drink potions of gain level to get into the
Quest), so there was nothing too dangerous in the Castle. I charmed
some more dragon pets.

The wand was at 0:1, but I already had scrolls of charging. I wished
for a helm of brilliance, a ring of levitation (which I should have
polypiled for), and a magic marker. I saved an emergency wish, which I
didn't use in the end. My AC was soon at -40 and everything
fooproof. I was starting to think I was actually going to ascend. I
think I got crowned around this time, which turned out not to be a
problem, since I only really prayed to make holy water by this time.

I used magic mapping and detect treasure heavily in Gehennom. Bribed
the demon lords, dug out of Jubilex, chased Orcus for levels and
levels. A black dragon disintegrated all my pets - which was pretty
damn cool, actually - so I made him my new pet, but Blacky was killed
soon after.

After find the VS, I cleared a path back to lvl 1, then polypiled to
fill out my ascension kit. My HPs were at 250, which seemed low, but I
didn't really know how to get them higher without leveling up, and I
didn't want to do that, so that is what they were when I ascended.
I was level 18 at ascension. But I used charging scrolls to get my
energy to about 480 - which did start to run low on Astral - I
mostly used wands of death and teleport there.

Rodney double troubled me in Moloch's Sanctum, but he fell easily to
the finger of death (although the major demon lords just ignored it).
I killed him 7 times in all. I was mysterious forced about 6 or 7
times. He didn't steal or curse any of my inventory.

Earth, fire and air were easy. I used conflict on fire, air and water,
and teleported air elementals away at need. I gained two pet archons
on fire, but they were useless on Astral. I had trouble on water. I
couldn't find the portal for a long time, but I must have stumbled on
to it.

I went to all three altars on Astral. I killed Pestilence and Famine
with wands of death, and used wands of teleport to get the other
monsters out of the way - I couldn't put a dent in them with
Magicbane, and they were certainly putting a dent in me with only 250
HPs. I used one full heal. I did kill Death with Magicbane though -
she only had 50 HPs or so.

Finally the choir sang. Sorry, no dump because I played with
NetHackW.exe, but the inventory was pretty cookie cutter in the end
anyway. The game took around 62000 turns.

Thanks to the good folk of the RGRN, without whom I would never have
finished the game, and, of course, to the RNG, who giveth and who
taketh away.

Trajic
If the RNG be for me, who can stand against me?

"Trajic" <trajic_waste@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ascension! After a mere 18 months, with a break of about 6 months
> after I became discouraged by the seemingly endless stream of YASDs.

Congratulations!

> but this Wizard was the first to see Medusa's
> Lair. They would always meet something that they couldn't get away
> from and I'd never gotten below -6 AC before, so they'd just get
> eaten. The Samurai were getting further, but usually lacked one of
> reflection or magic resistance, so eventually they'd fall as well.

I think the magic number is -15. I took a rogue through all of Gehennom at
that AC. If you dig out all the vaults it's not unreasonable to find enough
gold for 9 points of divine protection. Elven helm, leather gloves, high
boots, leather armor and cloak of MR give another 6. An average enchantment
of 2 on everything but the cloak gets 8 more for -13. Once you have
Magicbane, swapping out the [CoMR for some random enchanted cloak ought to
do it.

> Sylvanti started with force bolt, remove curse, an enchant armor scroll
> and not a lot else.

Remove curse should be pretty handy. You can try on all magic friendly armor
without waiting for your pet to help.

> The Minetown altar was the first I'd seen and was co-aligned. I
> quickly made holy water, blessed the lamp and used it to wish for +2
> SDSM. I'm not really good enough to hold off using an early magic
> lamp like this. I also got Magicbane with just a few sacrifices.

Yup, this is looking good now!

> The Oracle level is very lethal for me. I've been killed there
> numerous times by soldier ants and the like.

I'd think Elbereth and force bolt and a few good throwing daggers would make
those soldier ants childs play. In my current game my wizard had found 2 +4
daggers by this point.

> Below Sokoban, there were three successive levels with smallish general
> stores on them. One of those had a book of identify in them. I think
> that was the turning point for the game. (I'd earlier emptied a
> magic marker trying to write one). I ID'ed everything I had and soon
> had my armor down to -25 with speed boots and a ring of slow digestion
> (which is a key piece of equipment for me). I also preemptively
> genocided L and h (and later ;). I was level 11 at that point, and
> from then on I was fairly unstoppable.

Yeah, that looks like a wrap. But, if you haven't done it before you
probably don't know that yet!

> I did Fort Ludios before the Quest, and acquired some pet dragons. (I
> was sad that they never used their breath weapons).

Pets won't use ranged attacks. Too easy to hit you, I suppose. If I decide I
want to keep a big pet, a dragon isn't high on my list. The T and V groups
are good because they can use weapons, armor and unicorn horns AND they
regenerate. Titans are great as are angels. J is just a tough hard hitter.

> I was still
> fairly low level (I had to drink potions of gain level to get into the
> Quest), so there was nothing too dangerous in the Castle.

Were you kicking the sinks by now. My current wizard got about 13 levels
from killing things, two from wraiths and the other 15 from succubi. The
potions are for speeding out of Gehennom!

> I used magic mapping and detect treasure heavily in Gehennom.

Great combination. Takes most of the drudgery out of Gehennom. You should
use light as well at each upstairs. You don't want to be searching for
stairs on the way out if some item gets dropped on the stairs.

> After find the VS, I cleared a path back to lvl 1, then polypiled to
> fill out my ascension kit. My HPs were at 250, which seemed low, but I
> didn't really know how to get them higher without leveling up, and I
> didn't want to do that, so that is what they were when I ascended.
> I was level 18 at ascension.

Drink b!oFH. If you don't have enough, make some. As to the XL, unlike other
classes, I think a wizard should level up to 30 becasue he need the skill
slots and it makes his attack spells stronger.

> Earth, fire and air were easy. I used conflict on fire, air and water,
> and teleported air elementals away at need. I gained two pet archons
> on fire, but they were useless on Astral.

Really! I've never had one, but people have ascended pacifists using archons
to do all the killing in the astral planes.

> I went to all three altars on Astral. I killed Pestilence and Famine
> with wands of death, and used wands of teleport to get the other
> monsters out of the way - I couldn't put a dent in them with
> Magicbane, and they were certainly putting a dent in me with only 250
> HPs. I used one full heal. I did kill Death with Magicbane though -
> she only had 50 HPs or so.

Your strength is an important factor in melee, with elves I have used [GoP
and a robe to get my melee power up. With humans I just run the strength up
to 18/**. A =oID helps, too. You probably can go ahead a take Magicbane up
to +6 or +7 since you'll be finding the special attacks resisted much more
often. A sizable stack of +7 elven daggers and expert dagger skill is a
boon. You can throw them at a monster right next to you. Took me a while to
figure that out since you couldn't use ranged attack that close in D&D.

> If the RNG be for me, who can stand against me?

Sounds like the RNG gave you a good shot this game and you managed not to
YASD! Good for you, well done! Meet you in the demigod(ess) bar. Look for
the tourist in ODSM with Charisma 25.

Wes

Wes Irby wrote:
> Pets won't use ranged attacks. Too easy to hit you, I suppose. If I decide I
> want to keep a big pet, a dragon isn't high on my list. The T and V groups
> are good because they can use weapons, armor and unicorn horns AND they
> regenerate. Titans are great as are angels. J is just a tough hard hitter.

I think pets should use ray attacks if the player has reflection or is
resistant to the type of ray used, and beam attacks and projectiles if
their trajectory doesn't cross the player.

And, before anyone says anything, I've verified in wizmode that black
dragon breath doesn't do anything to armor if you have disintegration
resistance.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Wes Irby wrote:
> "Trajic" wrote:

>> Sylvanti started with force bolt, remove curse, an enchant armor
>> scroll and not a lot else.

> Remove curse should be pretty handy. You can try on all magic
> friendly armor without waiting for your pet to help.

Don't!

If you try on, say, a cursed shield, that shield will make it virtually
impossible for you to actually *cast* that remove curse spell.

> I'd think Elbereth and force bolt and a few good throwing daggers
> would make those soldier ants childs play. In my current game my
> wizard had found 2 +4 daggers by this point.

This does sound very uncommon, and not something you could rely upon.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Shadow wrote:

> I think pets should use ray attacks if the player has reflection or is
> resistant to the type of ray used, and beam attacks and projectiles if
> their trajectory doesn't cross the player.

And how would your pet *know* that you have a certain resistance? Or
that that shiny shield always reflects their breath?

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Shadow wrote:
>

>>I think pets should use ray attacks if the player has reflection or is
>>resistant to the type of ray used, and beam attacks and projectiles if
>>their trajectory doesn't cross the player.
>

> And how would your pet *know* that you have a certain resistance? Or
> that that shiny shield always reflects their breath?

All monsters have a strange ability to identify wands, potions, scrolls,
armor, armor enchantment, and weapons (but not weapon enchantment or
artifactness), Stormy, and the Tsurugi of Miramasa (mainly because there
are no other runeswords/tsurugis). Pets, in addition, have an ability to
avoid cursed objects. Peaceful and tame monsters know whether or not you
have see invisible, and will only make themselves invisible in this
case. Certainly they would somehow be able to know...

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Wes Irby wrote:
> "Trajic" <trajic_waste@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Ascension!
>
> Congratulations!

Thank you, very kind of you.

> > I'd never gotten below -6 AC before
>
> I think the magic number is -15. I took a rogue through all of
Gehennom at
> that AC.

<< shudders at the thought >>

Maybe when I'm a better player, and have a good stack of +7 daggers.

Does anyone use bows? I love the yumi+ya that the Samurai start with,
but the arrows disappear so quickly. I've read that they disappear
less quickly when blessed, but by the time I have holy water, I've
usually abandoned the bow and collected a set of daggers.

> If you dig out all the vaults it's not unreasonable to find enough
> gold for 9 points of divine protection.

I seem to gain levels at an alarming rate, but there is plenty of gold
lying about - particularly if you poly a pet that eats shopkeepers.

> Remove curse should be pretty handy. You can try on all magic
friendly armor
> without waiting for your pet to help.

I was so in the habit of pet testing, that I don't think I ever cast
it, but it was comforting to have around, especially on the ascension
run.

> > The Oracle level is very lethal for me. I've been killed there
> > numerous times by soldier ants and the like.
>
> I'd think Elbereth and force bolt and a few good throwing daggers
would make
> those soldier ants childs play. In my current game my wizard had
found 2 +4
> daggers by this point.

One thing I do that probably makes it more difficult than it needs to
be is to collect enchant armor and enchant weapon until scrolls until I
can bless them. So I almost never enchant up my daggers until later,
and once I have decent sized stack, I stash the daggers in the smaller
stacks. Of course, the largest stack is usually +0, so that's what I
end up with for a while. Part of it is the convenience. I can just
quiver the large stack and 'f' to fire them.

> If I decide I
> want to keep a big pet, a dragon isn't high on my list. The T and V
groups
> are good because they can use weapons, armor and unicorn horns AND
they
> regenerate. Titans are great as are angels. J is just a tough hard
hitter.

Trolls are great pets. I had a vampire lord once, but it got killed by
an ochre jelly (of all things). My gargoyles have been disappointing
in general. I probably need to think more about equipping them. They
certainly last a lot longer when I have a stethoscope and a good heal
spell.

> > I was still
> > fairly low level (I had to drink potions of gain level to get into
the
> > Quest), so there was nothing too dangerous in the Castle.
>
> Were you kicking the sinks by now. My current wizard got about 13
levels
> from killing things, two from wraiths and the other 15 from succubi.

I never really felt a lack of skill slots and nearly every spell was at
0% fail, so I was happy to follow the general strategy of keeping low
level to mitigate the end-game challenges. I was probably pretty
lucky. On Astral I mostly just used wands.

> The potions are for speeding out of Gehennom!

That's a fun trick, I'll have to try it sometime. I think I'm
going to try feeding them to a pet, though, if I get a decent on going.

> > I used magic mapping and detect treasure heavily in Gehennom.
>
> Great combination. Takes most of the drudgery out of Gehennom. You
should
> use light as well at each upstairs. You don't want to be searching
for
> stairs on the way out if some item gets dropped on the stairs.

Great tip! First time this happened, I freaked out. It was after a
"mysterious force" as well, so I thought I'd been sent to a level
without an upstairs.

> > My HPs were at 250, which seemed low, but I
> > didn't really know how to get them higher
>
> Drink b!oFH. If you don't have enough, make some.

There was really a dearth of potions. This was probably because I
wasted some through inexperience, maybe also because once I was
stealthy, v.fast and invisible, I stopped killing things and just ran
around them whenever I could.

> > I gained two pet archons on fire, but they were useless on Astral.
>
> Really! I've never had one, but people have ascended pacifists using
archons
> to do all the killing in the astral planes.

They seemed to charm easy enough, and they kept a couple of monsters
occupied, but I would've died if I'd depended on them. Maybe they
just need proper care and feeding.

> > I went to all three altars on Astral. I killed Pestilence and
Famine
> > with wands of death, and used wands of teleport to get the other
> > monsters out of the way - I couldn't put a dent in them with
> > Magicbane, and they were certainly putting a dent in me with only
250
> > HPs.
>
> Your strength is an important factor in melee, with elves I have used
[GoP
> and a robe to get my melee power up. With humans I just run the
strength up
> to 18/**. A =oID helps, too. You probably can go ahead a take
Magicbane up
> to +6 or +7 since you'll be finding the special attacks resisted much
more
> often. A sizable stack of +7 elven daggers and expert dagger skill is
> boon. You can throw them at a monster right next to you. Took me a
while to
> figure that out since you couldn't use ranged attack that close in
D&D.

Good tips, thanks!

> > If the RNG be for me, who can stand against me?
>
> Sounds like the RNG gave you a good shot this game and you managed
not to
> YASD! Good for you, well done! Meet you in the demigod(ess) bar. Look
for
> the tourist in ODSM with Charisma 25.

The round is on me :)

> I think pets should use ray attacks if the player has reflection
> or is resistant to the type of ray used, and beam attacks and
> projectiles if their trajectory doesn't cross the player.

I think pets with breath weapons should use them as normal, and if the
player can't handle the odd blast then they should just be careful
about what pets they acquire. I don't think I'd like to have to
compete with my pets for wands though.