4Gb unknown partition on new Dimension 4600

Hi,

I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4600. I just looked at the hard
drive partitions in Windows computer management and was suprised to
see that an unknown 4GB partition exists. I did not create this
partition so I called a friend who also just got a new Dell desktop.
She also had this same 4GB unknown partition on her new machine.

I have contacted Dell technical support but have not received reply
yet.

Does anyone know what this partition is used for and why Dell creates
it? I have three partitions on my hard drive the main (system)
partition(35GB), the Dell Diagnostics (EISA) partition(31MB), and the
4GB unknown partition.

Any feedback is appreciated.

C Jackson

It's the Dell DSR or "Dell System Restore" image, that restores your OS
partition to exactly the state it was delivered in (while killing any apps
or data you've added or created since the system was purchased.).

Stew

"Nils Bolhoven" wrote:
> I have read about the System Restore partition, and am
> very interested..
>
> I really missed it on my Dimension 8300, could have
> used it after my first serious system crash.. Luckily, i
> had a recent Ghost image but it would be usefull to
> have that restore option integrated in the system..
>
> Any idea what programs are used? How the image
> is made? Any idea how to create that partition and
> tools myself? (So i can create an image of the system
> and place that in the partition with the needed tools..)
>
> Or could someone give me any details about the
> System Restore partition? (Filesystem, size, tools,
> the image used) and possibly send the tools to me?
> -i can create the image myself-

You should be able to do that with what you have -
Ghost and WinXP Disk Management or Partition Magic.
Instead of putting a cloned image on another hard disk,
just put it on another partition on the same hard disk.
You can make the 2nd partition using Disk Management
or Partition Magic. Use Ghost to make the clone on
the new primary partition (which the OS calls a "local disk").
Adjust the boot.ini file in the clone system so that the
boot.ini file (under the "[operating systems]" line) points
to the new clone partition, or add another entry under
the "[operating systems]" line that points to the new
clone partition and select the system named in that line
with keyboard input at boot time using XP's built-in
multi-boot feature. Put a file icon with a distinctive name
(like "Backup System") on the Desktop so you can
recognize it when it loads.

When your system crashes, go into the BIOS setup
and adjust the boot priority (i.e. "boot sequence") so
that the backup partition is booted instead of the crashed
partition. Then re-boot, and the new clone partition
should appear with the "Backup System" file icon on the
Desktop.

To restore the original system, clone the clone system
back to the original partition. (If you don't use the multi-
boot feature of XP, remember to re-adjust the boot.ini file
in the restored system so that it points to its own partition.)
Then readjust the BIOS boot priority and re-boot to the
restored system. BTW, this is the same procedure that I
use to copy the original system to another hard drive to
create multiple clones of the original system, one per
primary partition on the 2nd hard drive.

The only drawback that I can think of in using this
method is that the clone partition is the same size (i.e
not compressed) as the original partition. You can
defrag it and then use Partition Magic to shrink it down
to remove unused space, but you have to remember to
do the same in reverse when you restore it.

*TimDaniels*

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is not really the way i'd like it
to be. My hopes are that someone has a ghost image or other image/backup of
the 38mb Dell Utility partition, and an image of the 4gb Dell System Restore
(DSR) partition.
That way it's possible to check if Dimension 8400 (and other new systems)
has other content than my Dimension 8300 in the 38mb Dell Utility partition.
(something that triggers the restore process/Ghost when pressing CTRL+F11)
And, what content is on the 4GB System Restore partition other than the
image itself. (Ghost, for instance, etc), the image itself is not important,
but details as:
Partition Filesystem, size, content in Util and DSR partition related to
restore, command lines used by ghost..
If that is no option, the best would be a partition (maybe hidden) with a
manually created Ghost image of Win XP and possibly an option in the
bootmenu/boot.ini to recover the system.
Like:

---------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="System Restore" -place of
Ghost.exe-
---------

But i'm not sure, if and how this could work. I only use it for dual boot,
but i guess with the right commands it should work..
However, if boot.ini/Windows fails it doesn't work..

Thanks,

Nils Bolhoven.

"Nils Bolhoven" <Nils@Bolhoven.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is not really the way i'd like
> it
> to be. My hopes are that someone has a ghost image or other image/backup
> of
> the 38mb Dell Utility partition, and an image of the 4gb Dell System
> Restore
> (DSR) partition.
> That way it's possible to check if Dimension 8400 (and other new systems)
> has other content than my Dimension 8300 in the 38mb Dell Utility
> partition.
> (something that triggers the restore process/Ghost when pressing CTRL+F11)
> And, what content is on the 4GB System Restore partition other than the
> image itself. (Ghost, for instance, etc), the image itself is not
> important,
> but details as:
> Partition Filesystem, size, content in Util and DSR partition related to
> restore, command lines used by ghost..
> If that is no option, the best would be a partition (maybe hidden) with a
> manually created Ghost image of Win XP and possibly an option in the
> bootmenu/boot.ini to recover the system.
> Like:
>
> ---------
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="System Restore" -place of
> Ghost.exe-
> ---------
>
> But i'm not sure, if and how this could work. I only use it for dual boot,
> but i guess with the right commands it should work..
> However, if boot.ini/Windows fails it doesn't work..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nils Bolhoven.

Seems like a lot of work when one can just mirror the image to a second hard
disk then place the disk back into a sealed ESD bag to be stored in a safe
place.

Stew

Hi,

Yeah i know it's more work to get it right.
But when it's working, it makes it much easier to restore the image..
But, still the best option would be to just create that Dell System Restore
partition myself when i have the needed files, programs and info.
I guess everyone erases that partition after getting the system, cause there
is no info to be found on the DSR.
Not even on Dell sites itself.

Best would be to be able to download the tools, programs, etc other than the
image itself that are located in the DSR partition, and possibly assitions
to other parts of the system.

Or maybe an all in one tool that creates the partition, loads the tools in
it and changes the relevant things to the system? (I guess Dell has some
tool for it..)

Or else:
-Type of filesystem for DSR partition (for instance NTFS, FAT 16)
-Size of DSR partition.
-Which tools are in the partition except image itself?
-Are there any command lines in those tools or files? (for Ghost.exe for
instance)
-Is there anything else different (Dell Utility part?)

Thanks,

Nils Bolhoven.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> schreef in bericht

> "Nils Bolhoven" <Nils@Bolhoven.nl> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is not really the way i'd like
> > it
> > to be. My hopes are that someone has a ghost image or other image/backup
> > of
> > the 38mb Dell Utility partition, and an image of the 4gb Dell System
> > Restore
> > (DSR) partition.
> > That way it's possible to check if Dimension 8400 (and other new
systems)
> > has other content than my Dimension 8300 in the 38mb Dell Utility
> > partition.
> > (something that triggers the restore process/Ghost when pressing
CTRL+F11)
> > And, what content is on the 4GB System Restore partition other than the
> > image itself. (Ghost, for instance, etc), the image itself is not
> > important,
> > but details as:
> > Partition Filesystem, size, content in Util and DSR partition related to
> > restore, command lines used by ghost..
> > If that is no option, the best would be a partition (maybe hidden) with
> > manually created Ghost image of Win XP and possibly an option in the
> > bootmenu/boot.ini to recover the system.
> > Like:
> >
> > ---------
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> > Edition" /fastdetect
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="System Restore" -place of
> > Ghost.exe-
> > ---------
> >
> > But i'm not sure, if and how this could work. I only use it for dual
boot,
> > but i guess with the right commands it should work..
> > However, if boot.ini/Windows fails it doesn't work..
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nils Bolhoven.
> >

> Seems like a lot of work when one can just mirror the image to a second
hard
> disk then place the disk back into a sealed ESD bag to be stored in a safe
> place.
>

> Stew

I have a new Dimension 4600 that also has the hidden partition. It is
not mentioned in the manual. I've tried hitting CTRL + F11, but
nothing happens and the computer boots into Windows XP. I would like
to access the Dell System Restore so that I can copy the Dell help
files that I lost when I formatted my hard drive to get rid of
spyware. Is there any other way to access it? If you Press F12 it goes
to a menu with an option to access the Dell Diagnostics.

It is mentioned on Dell's site at
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090152&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

What was the ship date on your system? Are you hitting CTRL + F11 at post?

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a new Dimension 4600 that also has the hidden partition. It is
> not mentioned in the manual. I've tried hitting CTRL + F11, but
> nothing happens and the computer boots into Windows XP. I would like
> to access the Dell System Restore so that I can copy the Dell help
> files that I lost when I formatted my hard drive to get rid of
> spyware. Is there any other way to access it? If you Press F12 it goes
> to a menu with an option to access the Dell Diagnostics.
>
> It is mentioned on Dell's site at
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090152&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

The ship date is 8/25/04. I hit Ctrl + F11 when the Dell splash
screen appears.

> The ship date is 8/25/04. I hit Ctrl + F11 when the Dell splash
> screen appears.

Once the hot keys are hit properly and you enter the restore utility your
choices are two: restore or cancel. There are no search capabilities or
selective file restoration choices.

Steew

TRENDING THREADS