Crap! Virus on my comp!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Damn virus weasled its way onto my system. AVG says "Trojan horse IRC/BackDoor.SbDot infected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SYSCFG32.EXE". It cant clean it because it says it cannot access the file. Is this a serious virus? or is it something to go off and take care of other things?

---------

If the Scatman can do it so can you...

---------

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Yes, you need to take care of this. Go here:

<A HREF="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.sdbot.b.html" target="_new">http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.sdbot.b.html</A>

And pick up a copy [read: legitimate copy] of Norton Antivirus immediately.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
well I scanned my comp from PC-cillin's web scanner, no virus. I would also like to keep norton anything off of my system if possible. I have had many problems with this resource hog in the past. I have had instances of norton system files being infected and crashing my system that both norton and mcafee had not gotten rid of. Thats why I use AVG.

Im gonna go through the step on the page that you listed, thanks for the link. I will let you know how this turns opput. It appears that you can get rid of it by deleteing a few reg keys and a file...

We'll see :)
---------

---------

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Norton isn't a system hog by any means. However, Norton System Works IS a resource hog and I wouldn't run it unless you need something it has to offer. Norton Antivirus on the other hand is by far the best AV software out there. I've been running it for years and no computer on my network has EVER been infected with anything. The network at my place of business runs McAffe and is constantly in virus hell, except for the one computer running Norton which is always clean.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
after having too many problems in the past, I went away from norton and never looked back. I found Innoculate, which was a great program, and then whenever they went out of the av biz, I went with AVG and havent had a problem till now. And as it turns out, grisoft just added the detection of that virus in the last update (which is my fault for not keeping current).

But after going to the link to the symantec site, I was able to get rid of it quite easily, just a few registry entrys to remove and a file to delete. ran 2 av's no viruses detected.

---------

---------

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Yeah, I know about the pains of mcafee at work, asa my boss likes it because he got it from the internet and it was cheap...

Cheep is my thought exactly.

BTW, thanx again for the link :smile:

---------

---------

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I don't care what anyone says, Norton IS a hog. Even McAfee eats too much. I'm not saying Norton is bad, but it does use up resources, maybe it's less noticable if you use a modern powerhouse PC. I use PC-cillin, which uses next to no resources and is known to be a very capable virus suite, more so than McRapee.

dhlucke

Polypheme
thx for reminding me to install some av software. I totally forgot....

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
That's impossible! I get them all the time. Nobody has you in their address book or what? Run a AV program, you probably have a dozen at least.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
The only way that happens (no virus at all for 6 years) is he never ever opens anything foreign or has virii and just doesn't know it :)

Maybe his CC# was one of those thousands confiscated last year.. j/k

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I am careful as to what I open, but I do download things off of kazaa and there have been a few times I've opened something or even while it was downloading pc-cillin caught it and I was definately glad to have it, especially since it uses almost no resources.

I didn't run AV for about 3 years, and had no troubles, but then I got a virus that totally fuked up everything. The only reason I abandoned them in the first place was due to the strain on system resources, but now with PC power much better than a few years back and better software it's foolish not to run AV in my opinion.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
There’s a few people who don’t use AV, but they don’t hang out at kazaa or open a lot of mail from people they don’t know either. When’s the last time you formatted;)

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Doesn't matter. My sister has never used Kazaa or anything like it. After two years I realized she was unprotected so I installed AV software for her. She had 13 viruses on her system, mostly trojans. She never knew about them and her system ran fine ontil the latest virus which took out Windows completely. We were lucky to save her data.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --