Windows 7 Professional Saying product not genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
First of all I would like to say I have a genuine product it has been registered for over a month.

Randomly today it started saying with a black screen after loading up that the product is not genuine in the right corner with a black screen.

It would say "Windows Build 7601 not genuine" or something like that.

It would however boot in safe mode and it later after showing the same screen booted to windows.

I have no clue why it did this, but it is troubling. It scanned clean with Norton, Malwarebytes and Combofix. Since booting up it has worked fine.

If anyone has any clue why it is doing this I would like to know. I am not sure it is a virus, as it works perfecly fine. The only think we did before it did this was a registry fix with CCleaner. I have never had any problems with CCleaner like this, so I do not think that it is the culprit. Especially considering the same computer boodted to safe mode with no problems before giving the same message when booting in normal boot.

Since booting normally it shows the windows copy as genuine again showing the registry key.

The only other trouble it has been giving over the past month was it felt like it booted a little slow, but we summed it up to Norton being on aggressive virus and boot scan.

Solution
I'm pulling this from a thread over on Seven Forums because it made me think about this situation in particular and I recall a update coming out some time ago that done this very thing. Take a look and follow the directions and see if it helps, it can't hurt.

MS pushed a new WAT update (kb971033) which caused several genuine systems to be flagged non-genuine. If you have this update installed (check in Add Remove Programs), then do the following to fix the issue.

Find KB971033 and uninstall it
Reboot and run CMD as Admin
Type “slmgr –rearm” (without quotes) and hit enter
Reboot once the command is completed
After reboot, go to System Properties and select the “Change Product Key” option in the Windows...

Did you purchase it yourself from a reputable dealer or was it installed on a system you purchased a month ago ?? -- If you did not buy the actual product it sounds like you could actually have a non genuine product !

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012

I bought the OS from Newegg. I installed it personally over a month ago. Microsoft previously approved it online. It is a legit copy. When it worked again it showed the code. Not to mention Safe Mode would not have worked also it if was not legit. When it worked again it showed the product code in the system properties.

No I have not talked to Microsoft, as it started to work again. I am more concerned to know why it did that in the first place.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes i get the non genuine os message myself popping up with Microsoft Essentials. Rebooting or reaffirming geniality with the link provided settles it.

When it happens for me will be when windows just finishes loading after sitting off overnight or something. Could be a router lag problem or something similar not responding to the 'genuine' call quick enough.

I'm pulling this from a thread over on Seven Forums because it made me think about this situation in particular and I recall a update coming out some time ago that done this very thing. Take a look and follow the directions and see if it helps, it can't hurt.

MS pushed a new WAT update (kb971033) which caused several genuine systems to be flagged non-genuine. If you have this update installed (check in Add Remove Programs), then do the following to fix the issue.

Find KB971033 and uninstall it
Reboot and run CMD as Admin
Type “slmgr –rearm” (without quotes) and hit enter
Reboot once the command is completed
After reboot, go to System Properties and select the “Change Product Key” option in the Windows Activation section.
Re-enter your Windows 7 product key, it should successfully activate now
Reboot

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS