Your question

How can I change from Windows 7 to XP 64

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 18, 2013 6:46:08 PM

OK, I know that I'm going to get: Why on earth would anyone want to change from 7 to XP? The answer has to do with audio. I have an interface/drivers/DAW/plug-ins... that very simply ran like a top with my old XP 64 and is somehow creating CPU spikes that is making it impossible to proceed with my project.

I have spent a week troubleshooting, looked into all options and I've decided that I've had it. This computer will no longer surf the web or do anything besides audio.......at least until I can afford to upgrade properly. I need the fastest solution, not necessarily the best.

Another issue I am having is that I do not have a disk, only an image on my external HD. I have tried three kinds of DVD-R's in two different drives with four different programs and continue to get I/O errors.
I suspect it is the media itself (Maxell and memorex ) but I don't drive so painting the town red to buy different 20 dollar packs of DVD's that MIGHT work doesnt sound good...........yet.

SO, with all of that out of the way. Here's what I have:

1. Windows 7 (64) installed
2. An ISO image of windows XP (64) installation disc on a USB HD
3. A USB flash drive

I would like to have windows XP running and anything beyond that is unimportant.

Can anyone help? I really do appreciate it. Sorry if I sound cranky. lol

More about : change windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 6:59:18 PM

Hi, Try using nLite for slipstreaming the SATA driver and the SP2. Then burn the resulted ISO and see if it does work this way.
m
l
January 18, 2013 7:08:18 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, Try using nLite for slipstreaming the SATA driver and the SP2. Then burn the resulted ISO and see if it does work this way.

Thanks, I just successfully burned the ISO to a bootable USB flash drive with ISO to USB. I was going to change the SATA configuration in BIOS (to IDE), as is reported. Besides that and changing the boot priority to USB, what other steps?

Can you explain the purpose of nLite for slipstreaming a little bit, please? Thx
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 7:12:50 PM

XP has no driver for SATA (no SATA when XP was released), and since floppies are not used anymore, you can't use F6 for loading the SATA driver during Windows install. nLite does the job. It's easy to use it. Slipstream the F6 SATA driver for your board and the SP2.
m
l
January 18, 2013 7:18:19 PM

alexoiu said:
XP has no driver for SATA (no SATA when XP was released), and since floppies are not used anymore, you can't use F6 for loading the SATA driver during Windows install. nLite does the job. It's easy to use it. Slipstream the F6 SATA driver for your board and the SP2.

Just read up on it. Yeah, I definitely need this. (I have the chipset they identify.) Thanks a lot.

Should be good after that? (wow, that would be something. lol)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 7:47:25 PM

Hi

XP 64 is a rare product and xp 64 bit drivers are even rarer
are you sure you have all the 64 bit XP drivers you need for this PC

Some USB floppy drives pretend to be drive A: (depends on BIOS) which would allow floppy F6 mass storage to load for XP and SATA (AHCI)

while SATA/AHCI was not common in 2001 when XP appeared it was common by the time Vista arrived
Dell and other companies integrated SATA/AHCI + RAID drivers in their XP recovery disks

Problems Burning ISO's

What software are you using ?
is the ISO corrupt ?
[I thought all XP's come on CD not DVD as under 700MB]

IsoBuster can do a quick check on ISO to see if all files can be browsed or extracted
an alternative is 7-ZIP which can extract all files from ISO or give error if not

Best free simple to use program for burning ISO's I know is ImgBurn
(unlike Ahead Nero you do not need to choose CD or DVD in advance)

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:45:52 PM

(had to get used to the way the thread goes)

Mike,

Thanks. Yeah, I created the ISO, which is why it is on DVD. I should actually say that a friend of mine hooked it up for me in 2009. (I haven't needed it til now. :sweat: ) According to him it has all the latest drivers, up to 2009. It has sp 2. It has some other stuff that's outdated now, like flashplayer, firefox....etc. That's why it's over 700MB (Its a Gig)The ISO seemed to have passed the smell test smoothly in n-lite, though I haven't yet done anything because I'm actually stuck on the page not knowing what exactly to slipstream.

The audio drivers I have already. I'll add that later. I'm not using this for the internet either.

As far as Nero/Imgburn, that's one sticking point. Something between the software (and a few others) and my 2 drives (one pretty old external and the internal) and the blank DVD's are causing constant errors. That's why I gave up and made the bootable USB stick......which also seemed to have been successfully created in ISO to USB.

BTW, the ISO has been explored/extracted. What I'm worried about is that one stupid thing that will screw it up.

OK, so I have the ISO, made bootable in ISO to USB, containing XP64, wanting to replace Windows 7 64. I also have a backup image of 7 and there is a recovery partition if something goes wrong.

As far as the SATA drivers, it seems that there is a setting in my BIOS (Toshiba satellite L755) to switch from ACHI to ATA and it seems to have done the trick for users of that model when installing XP over Vista.
It seems to be performing the same function as slipstreaming the drivers, but if not exactly what drivers am I SS'ing? For my current machine, correct? (Sorry, my head's spinning lol)

Besides the system and hdd recovery, I have one more free, formatted partition after C:, primary, not active. Is that correct?

I'm just gonna try it, after that.

:cry: 

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2013 10:15:40 PM

Hi

I checked up and found XP pro 64 bit is almost the same as Windows 2003 Server (x64) (same service packs and drivers)

Usually you would install XP before Windows Vista or 7 as otherwise the Win 7 boot manager will be broken and replaced by Win XP boot sector and Win 7 wont be available until its boot manage is repaired.

You need to read detailed advice before you start if you want dual boot XP + 7, they have to be installed in different partitions.

If your ISO has drivers upto 2009 it may support SATA / AHCI you can try it and see what happens.
BSOD 0x0000007B indicated incompatible driver for hard disk controller.

If you select IDE/ATA compatibility mode in the BIOS then XP already has the required drivers

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
January 18, 2013 11:22:32 PM

Thanks Mike

Yes, it seems that the IDE-ATA in BIOS will do that trick. I wrote this before I saw your reply.

WHat do you think? Thanks a lot, man. I REALLY appreciate your help.

Another question. Right now, if I can't get XP running for some reason then I would want a fresh windows 7 anyway. Everything important is backed up on external HD.

So, with that in mind, should I (or Could I) clear the C: drive and format it and install the XP into it........but keep the recovery partition just in case? (I also have an image backup of 7)

(SATA driver issue set)

But I'm scared to hit the button because:

Somewhere in the melee, I selected to unhide folders/system drives in Folder Options and the previously hidden (*) system drive now shows up as (F:system). Nothing on it has changed and it passes all of the MBR checks, but I can't hide it again.

It is still marked as the 'system' drive-- Healthy, primary.... But it is not active. I'm freaking out because I don't know exactly what happened there, if anything. Again, I'm not worried about losing anything. I'm worried about locking myself out completely.

What should I do guys?

Update--
@&*% it. I'm going for the dual boot first. I have an empty partition behind C: ...named D:, formatted, primary, not active. I am going to change BIOS to IDE, Legacy support, boot from USB.........and see what happens.

If it goes as planned, I'll have XP and then I'll decide whether I want to use Easy BCD to configure a dual-boot OR kill Windows 7. But I have to know! lol

I'll let you know how it goes. See you on the other side.

(You have about five minutes to stop me if you see something wrong. lol)
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:02:54 AM

Here I go..........

As I understand Windows Recovery Environment will kick in if for some reason the system couldn't boot anyway. I think I'm safe....

....wrong! Won't work on an install and if the boot sequence is messed up I'll need the CD...........which I never made. lol
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 9:26:40 AM

Hi

If you access to someone with a similar Windows 7 PC
(same sp0 or sp1 and 32bit or 64 bit), (but home, pro, ultimate does not matter)

you can build a recovery CD

details on use & creation at MS
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-are-th...

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l