Jan 16, 2001
Need some help figuring out what's up. Comp is ~5 years old:
PII 400mHz
128MB RAM
standard motherboard, not sure make
Win98 (NOT SE)
10G HD on primary
standard CD-Rom on secondary

Problem: I tried to add a Mitsumi 40X20X48 CD Writer but I get something really wierd. Set it up as master with standard CD Rom as slave on secondary IDE. When restarting the comp both units show up in bios properly. Getting into Windows it only recognizes the standard CD Rom. I removed the CD Rom and used just the Mitsumi. Upon restart bios recognizes it no problem. Getting into Windows the comp stops and gives a message that it doesn't see the cd rom- abort or retry. Retry gets the same thing so I use abort and it gives a message loading no CD Rom present. Here's the wierd part: when Windows finishes booting tthe writer shows up under My Comp and hardware devices. It also works properly as a CD Rom, I didn't install any writing software 'cause the comp always stops when booting into Windows. Has anyone seen this before? It's prolly something easy but it's kicking my ass right now. Any help or ideas appreciated.
Jack

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I have had a similar problem with adding a CD writer... I had the cd-r drive and a dvd rom on the sec channel ,but windows 98 wouldnt see the DVD drive... So i just moved the writer to the primary channel, and the drive that the writer took, i put it as the master on the sec channel... So if i were you, just move your drives around till they are happy...

-drew

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a DMA problem with your BIOS. Newer CD devices use DMA, but your BIOS might be confused seeing a DMA device that isn't a hard drive. I'd try a BIOS update first. Also, be aware that if you plan to do CD to CD on-the-fly coppies, having both CD devices on the same channel will slow things down considerably (before the advent of Burn Proof, it would usually result in an underrun).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>