Why did I not get what I wished for? (mildly spoily)

I just started a new character, a tourist. There is a chaotic altar on
Lvl 1. I found a smoky potion, which turned out to be blessed. I
drank it hoping for the genie, I got him, and I wished for fixed
blessed +3 silver dragon scale mail. I got a cursed +0 SDSM! I've
never had that happen, getting a cursed SDSM. I've gotten +0 when I
asked for +3, but never cursed when I asked for blessed. My guess is
that my half-a-dozen or so attempts to convert altar effected my luck,
which affected the wish result. Can that be it?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Doss
6 answers Last reply
More about wished mildly spoily

    wahoodoss wrote:

    > I just started a new character, a tourist. There is a chaotic altar on
    > Lvl 1. I found a smoky potion, which turned out to be blessed. I drank
    > it hoping for the genie, I got him, and I wished for fixed blessed +3
    > silver dragon scale mail. I got a cursed +0 SDSM! I've never had that
    > happen, getting a cursed SDSM. I've gotten +0 when I asked for +3, but
    > never cursed when I asked for blessed. My guess is that my half-a-dozen
    > or so attempts to convert altar effected my luck, which affected the wish
    > result. Can that be it?

    Yes, exactly. Wishing for fooproof and/or blessed (or cursed...) is
    guaranteed to work if your luck is non-negative.

    If you attempt to convert an altar and fail (but are not converted
    yourself), your wisdom is abused and your luck decreases by 1.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

    "wahoodoss" <dossow1@jhuapl.edu> wrote in news:1112807061.288463.22400
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > My guess is
    > that my half-a-dozen or so attempts to convert altar effected my luck,
    > which affected the wish result. Can that be it?

    I think it's luck.

    http://pages.infinit.net/curlypp/digger/wishes.html

    For further investigation.

    wahoodoss wrote:
    > I just started a new character, a tourist. There is a chaotic altar on
    > Lvl 1. I found a smoky potion, which turned out to be blessed. I
    > drank it hoping for the genie, I got him, and I wished for fixed
    > blessed +3 silver dragon scale mail. I got a cursed +0 SDSM! I've
    > never had that happen, getting a cursed SDSM. I've gotten +0 when I
    > asked for +3, but never cursed when I asked for blessed. My guess is
    > that my half-a-dozen or so attempts to convert altar effected my luck,
    > which affected the wish result. Can that be it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Bill Doss

    Furthermore, why would you wish for a fixed SDSM? Scale mail is already
    fixed.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow
    \____/

    Shadow wrote:
    > Furthermore, why would you wish for a fixed SDSM? Scale mail is already
    > fixed.

    I think DSM still has the fooproofing flag even though nothing can
    actually erode it.

    It's funny, the spoilers I use recommend wishing for rustproof DSM. I
    think there's a concern that in some future release the Dev Team will
    add a method of DSM erosion so we should all stay in the habit of asking
    for fooproof just in case.

    Atillo

    On 7 April 2005, David Tillotson wrote:
    > I think DSM still has the fooproofing flag even though nothing can
    > actually erode it.
    >
    > It's funny, the spoilers I use recommend wishing for rustproof DSM.
    > I think there's a concern that in some future release the Dev Team
    > will add a method of DSM erosion so we should all stay in the habit
    > of asking for fooproof just in case.

    A patch allows cancellation to change DSM to scales.
    Perhaps "fixed" DSM should resist that effect?

    - Eric
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shadow wrote:

    > Furthermore, why would you wish for a fixed SDSM? Scale mail is
    > already fixed.

    When you'd accidentally polymorph your scale mail, the resulting armour
    would be fixed, I guess.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Games Video Games