Digging down.

Well, this noob finally made it to medusa. But! I've never tried to
dig down before and... it isn't working. With my pickaxe, I just hit
myself, and the Wand of Digging does nothing. I am putting "." when it
asks which direction I want to dig/zap the wand... this works for most
other things! What do I need to do?
Thanks.

Amadaun wrote:
> Well, this noob finally made it to medusa. But! I've never tried to
> dig down before and... it isn't working. With my pickaxe, I just hit
> myself, and the Wand of Digging does nothing. I am putting "." when it
> asks which direction I want to dig/zap the wand... this works for most
> other things! What do I need to do?

Use ">"

Atillo

the_cynical_hippie@hotmail.com (Amadaun) writes:
> With my pickaxe, I just hit myself, and the Wand of Digging does
> nothing. I am putting "." when it asks which direction I want to
> dig/zap the wand... this works for most other things! What do I need
> to do?

Dot, as a direction, means "at self." What you want here is '>'
(as in "greater than"). Mnemonic: it's the same as the symbol for
the down stairs, and the command you use to descend them.

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote in message news:<x6vf6zjly8.fsf@kharendaen.krall.org>...
> the_cynical_hippie@hotmail.com (Amadaun) writes:
> > With my pickaxe, I just hit myself, and the Wand of Digging does
> > nothing. I am putting "." when it asks which direction I want to
> > dig/zap the wand... this works for most other things! What do I need
> > to do?
>
> Dot, as a direction, means "at self." What you want here is '>'
> (as in "greater than"). Mnemonic: it's the same as the symbol for
> the down stairs, and the command you use to descend them.

What do you want to apply? (p) In what direction? (.)
You whack yourself with a pickaxe! -More-
Ow! That hurts!

or...

The master mind flayer hits!
What do you want to zap? (z) In what direction? (.)
You zap a wand of digging at yourself! -More-
You find you now have a hole in your head. -More-
The master mind flayer hits, but finds no brain to eat! -More-
You die of acute stupidity. -More-
Do you want your possessions identified?

Artemis the Ranger

Douglas Henke wrote:

> Dot, as a direction, means "at self." What you want here is '>'
> (as in "greater than"). Mnemonic: it's the same as the symbol for
> the down stairs, and the command you use to descend them.

Note that I stopped using the "." direction for "self", to avoid
confusion like this. I am now using "s" for self, which is easier to
remember.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).