So that's what the Devteam look like!

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply.

Your question was:

> Oh Mighty Oracle, who sees all and knows all, it has been a long
> time since the last version of Nethack was released by the
> Devteam.
>
> When will the next version be released?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

}
} +-------+
} |.......|
} |..&&&..|
} |..&_&.&@
} |..&&&..|
} |......d|
} +-------+
}
} You kick down a secret door! --More--
} "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
} The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
} You die... --More--
} Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
}

Darth. wrote:
> The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply.
>
> Your question was:
>

>>Oh Mighty Oracle, who sees all and knows all, it has been a long
>>time since the last version of Nethack was released by the
>>Devteam.
>>
>>When will the next version be released?
>

> And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
>
> }
> } +-------+
> } |.......|
> } |..&&&..|
> } |..&_&.&@
> } |..&&&..|
> } |......d|
> } +-------+
> }
> } You kick down a secret door! --More--
> } "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--

Ahh, that explains the release schedule!

> } The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
> } You die... --More--
> } Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
> }

Apologies to the humor impaired.
Ranbato

"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>} +-------+
>} |.......|
>} |..&&&..|
>} |..&_&.&@
>} |..&&&..|
>} |......d|
>} +-------+
>}
>} You kick down a secret door! --More--
>} "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
>} The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
>} You die... --More--
>} Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _

So the Devteam are &'s, which is fitting. ;) Is the d the adventurer's pet,
or one of the Devteam's? The Devteam must be slacking these days, if it
took them two hits to kill the adventurer. ;) So, I wonder what altar the
Devteam leaders are surrounding? Is that the rumored altar to the RNG?
Since the altar space is unoccupied, you should be able to teleport there!
Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
on its altar? What would happen? :)

O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O
* Walter D. "Cruiser1" Pullen :) ! Astara@msn.com *
O My 1st person Roguelike: http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/daedalus.htm O

Walter D. Pullen wrote:

> "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> } You kick down a secret door! --More--
>> } "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
>> } The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
>> } You die... --More--
>> } Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
>
> So the Devteam are &'s, which is fitting. ;) Is the d the adventurer's
> pet, or one of the Devteam's? The Devteam must be slacking these days, if
> it took them two hits to kill the adventurer. ;)

Nah, the first hit killed the adventurer; the Devteam leader got in the
second hit before he fell over.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

"Walter D. Pullen" <Astara@msn.com> wrote:
>Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
>teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
>the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
>on its altar? What would happen? :)

Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
viral AI that promptly infects your brain.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Walter D. Pullen wrote:

> "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> } +-------+
>> } |.......|
>> } |..&&&..|
>> } |..&_&.&@
>> } |..&&&..|
>> } |......d|
>> } +-------+
>
> Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
> teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
> the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
> on its altar? What would happen? :)

The RNG is unaligned (ie, evil). Thus, bad stuff would happen, but due to
the paralysis part you wouldn't live to see any effects other than:
"Walter, killed by the Devteam leader (while helpless)"

--
,-=========================================-. Rule #35: That which
| 1KB | does not kill you has
`-------------------------------------------' made a tactical error.
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates

On 08 Apr 2005 12:25:12 +0100 (BST), Martin Read wrote:

> "Walter D. Pullen" <Astara@msn.com> wrote:
>>Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
>>teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
>>the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
>>on its altar? What would happen? :)
>
> Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
> leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
> viral AI that promptly infects your brain.

Sounds like a win to me... what could be more like a demigod than a
post-human polymorphic AI?

rpresser@gmail.com wrote:
>On 08 Apr 2005 12:25:12 +0100 (BST), Martin Read wrote:
>> Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
>> leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
>> viral AI that promptly infects your brain.
>
>Sounds like a win to me... what could be more like a demigod than a
>post-human polymorphic AI?

Well, it's not really *you* any more. So, the *AI* would have won; you,
on the other hand, would have lost.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Good riddance to the Pope.