So that's what the Devteam look like!

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply.

Your question was:

> Oh Mighty Oracle, who sees all and knows all, it has been a long
> time since the last version of Nethack was released by the
> Devteam.
>
> When will the next version be released?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

}
} +-------+
} |.......|
} |..&&&..|
} |..&_&.&@
} |..&&&..|
} |......d|
} +-------+
}
} You kick down a secret door! --More--
} "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
} The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
} You die... --More--
} Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
}
7 answers Last reply
More about that devteam like

    Darth. wrote:
    > The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply.
    >
    > Your question was:
    >

    >>Oh Mighty Oracle, who sees all and knows all, it has been a long
    >>time since the last version of Nethack was released by the
    >>Devteam.
    >>
    >>When will the next version be released?
    >

    > And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
    >
    > }
    > } +-------+
    > } |.......|
    > } |..&&&..|
    > } |..&_&.&@
    > } |..&&&..|
    > } |......d|
    > } +-------+
    > }
    > } You kick down a secret door! --More--
    > } "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--

    Ahh, that explains the release schedule!

    > } The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
    > } You die... --More--
    > } Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
    > }

    Apologies to the humor impaired.
    Ranbato

    "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >} +-------+
    >} |.......|
    >} |..&&&..|
    >} |..&_&.&@
    >} |..&&&..|
    >} |......d|
    >} +-------+
    >}
    >} You kick down a secret door! --More--
    >} "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
    >} The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
    >} You die... --More--
    >} Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _

    So the Devteam are &'s, which is fitting. ;) Is the d the adventurer's pet,
    or one of the Devteam's? The Devteam must be slacking these days, if it
    took them two hits to kill the adventurer. ;) So, I wonder what altar the
    Devteam leaders are surrounding? Is that the rumored altar to the RNG?
    Since the altar space is unoccupied, you should be able to teleport there!
    Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
    teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
    the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
    on its altar? What would happen? :)

    O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O
    * Walter D. "Cruiser1" Pullen :) ! Astara@msn.com *
    O My 1st person Roguelike: http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/daedalus.htm O

    Walter D. Pullen wrote:

    > "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> } You kick down a secret door! --More--
    >> } "How dare you disturb our slumber? --More--
    >> } The Devteam leader hits! The Devteam leader hits! --More--
    >> } You die... --More--
    >> } Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (y) _
    >
    > So the Devteam are &'s, which is fitting. ;) Is the d the adventurer's
    > pet, or one of the Devteam's? The Devteam must be slacking these days, if
    > it took them two hits to kill the adventurer. ;)

    Nah, the first hit killed the adventurer; the Devteam leader got in the
    second hit before he fell over.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

    "Walter D. Pullen" <Astara@msn.com> wrote:
    >Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
    >teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
    >the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
    >on its altar? What would happen? :)

    Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
    leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
    viral AI that promptly infects your brain.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Walter D. Pullen wrote:

    > "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> } +-------+
    >> } |.......|
    >> } |..&&&..|
    >> } |..&_&.&@
    >> } |..&&&..|
    >> } |......d|
    >> } +-------+
    >
    > Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
    > teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
    > the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
    > on its altar? What would happen? :)

    The RNG is unaligned (ie, evil). Thus, bad stuff would happen, but due to
    the paralysis part you wouldn't live to see any effects other than:
    "Walter, killed by the Devteam leader (while helpless)"

    --
    ,-=========================================-. Rule #35: That which
    | 1KB | does not kill you has
    `-------------------------------------------' made a tactical error.
    - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 08 Apr 2005 12:25:12 +0100 (BST), Martin Read wrote:

    > "Walter D. Pullen" <Astara@msn.com> wrote:
    >>Suppose I had speed boots, and waited until I had a free turn, and then
    >>teleported to the altar square and #offer'ed something to the RNG before
    >>the Devteam killed me? Or else just #pray'ed to the RNG since I'm standing
    >>on its altar? What would happen? :)
    >
    > Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
    > leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
    > viral AI that promptly infects your brain.

    Sounds like a win to me... what could be more like a demigod than a
    post-human polymorphic AI?
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    rpresser@gmail.com wrote:
    >On 08 Apr 2005 12:25:12 +0100 (BST), Martin Read wrote:
    >> Praying to the RNG leads to your death by trickery. Offering to the RNG
    >> leads to your copy of Nethack transforming into a post-human polymorphic
    >> viral AI that promptly infects your brain.
    >
    >Sounds like a win to me... what could be more like a demigod than a
    >post-human polymorphic AI?

    Well, it's not really *you* any more. So, the *AI* would have won; you,
    on the other hand, would have lost.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    Good riddance to the Pope.

Oracle Games Internet Video Games