More PalmOS questions (Treo 600)

February 19, 2005 1:36:43 AM

Hi,

I have a few newbie type questions which I hope aren't too obvious or
repetitive. I'm using a Treo 600 which I obtained a few weeks ago.

- I'm suprised that the hotsync process doesn't back up a lot more
things, like SMS messages, mail, call logs from the phone, web
bookmarks and saved pages, etc. Is there any way to get this to happen?

- I installed a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased.
I have heard that these applications and their databases will not
necessarily get backed up when I hotsync. Is this true, and if so, is
there anything I can do to fix it?

- Is there any way to load numbers back onto my SIM card or is this a
one-way process? I might want to remove my SIM and use it on a regular
phone sometime.

- Is there a better way to have an alarm clock type of function other
than setting an event in the calendar?

- Can I get to my Contacts without going through the Phone?

- Why is Memo Pad restricted to 15 categories?

- Can someone explain the deal with sound on this thing? Every time I
saw any kind of sound application, sound, or ringtone available online,
it always required something else I don't have. I'm not all that
interested in sound, but if I could use my own MIDI files or WAV files
as ring sounds, I'd like to do it.

Thanks.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:55:18 PM

"flarosa" <frank@franklarosa.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a few newbie type questions which I hope aren't too obvious or
> repetitive. I'm using a Treo 600 which I obtained a few weeks ago.

I don't have the answers, but you should try other sites like

http://discussion.treocentral.com/index.php?styleid=1
http://www.palmone.com/us/community/mysmartphone/treo60...
http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/

You are more likely to get a response there ...
--
Aloke
----

On 18 Feb 2005 22:36:43 -0800, "flarosa" <frank@franklarosa.com> spewed:
>Hi,
>
>I have a few newbie type questions which I hope aren't too obvious or
>repetitive. I'm using a Treo 600 which I obtained a few weeks ago.
>
>- I'm suprised that the hotsync process doesn't back up a lot more
>things, like SMS messages, mail, call logs from the phone, web
>bookmarks and saved pages, etc. Is there any way to get this to happen?

Ya, I know. Irritating huh. Doesn't backup favorite buttons in the phone
app. either.
But, there is a solution. BackupBuddy VFS. Get an SD card, install it,
and it backs up EVERYTHING to card.
It's also got a PC side backup version, but I haven't had good luck with
that personally. You can just use Card Export to backup the VFS backup to
PC anyway.

>- I installed a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased.
>I have heard that these applications and their databases will not
>necessarily get backed up when I hotsync. Is this true, and if so, is
>there anything I can do to fix it?

Yes, true. In fact probably NONE of them will.
BackupBuddy will though, no worries.

>- Is there any way to load numbers back onto my SIM card or is this a
>one-way process? I might want to remove my SIM and use it on a regular
>phone sometime.

AFAIK, no automated way.

>- Is there a better way to have an alarm clock type of function other
>than setting an event in the calendar?

Yes, many 3rd party alarm apps are out there.
Many have countdown timers and stopwatch too.
I prefer Megaclock, but it's payware.
BTW, if you find a crack for it, I'm still looking!

>- Can I get to my Contacts without going through the Phone?

Not sure what you mean. Contacts is separate than favorites, but
favorites can search your contacts so you don't have to manually retype
the ones you want in favorites.

>- Why is Memo Pad restricted to 15 categories?

Dunno. Shortsightedness by Palm.
I think there's 3rd party Memo Pad replacements though.

>- Can someone explain the deal with sound on this thing? Every time I
>saw any kind of sound application, sound, or ringtone available online,
>it always required something else I don't have. I'm not all that
>interested in sound, but if I could use my own MIDI files or WAV files
>as ring sounds, I'd like to do it.

I never really figured that one out myself.
There's HoHo and Lightwav, both of which are supposed to convert or play
them directly as ringtones in combination with PocketTunes.
Never got either to work personally.
I suspect one or the other caused alot of system conflicts too, but can't
be sure. The Treo600 can be VERY finicky about what progs. are on the
phone at the same time. It can cause the need for hard resets and having
to always carry around a paperclip (FYI, there's a reset tool if you
unscrew the tip of the stylus too).
My VERY serious advise is to not install ANYTHING until you get that SD
card and BackupBuddy VFS installed.
It's saved me more times than I can count.

HTH,
D.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
February 21, 2005 5:53:39 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:55:18 GMT, "Aloke Prasad"
<aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> spewed:
>> I have a few newbie type questions which I hope aren't too obvious or
>> repetitive. I'm using a Treo 600 which I obtained a few weeks ago.
>
>I don't have the answers, but you should try other sites like
>
>http://discussion.treocentral.com/index.php?styleid=1
>http://www.palmone.com/us/community/mysmartphone/treo60...
>http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/
>
>You are more likely to get a response there ...

Good resources. There's also treobits.com.
But, does anybody else DESPISE web forums as much as I do?
They're SO cumbersome and a pain in the ass to check.
If they don't have a thread post notifier by email they're just torture.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:06:48 PM

In article <v6dj111uorkevmtpgmn0k47flad18l07fj@4ax.com>,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2005 22:36:43 -0800, "flarosa" <frank@franklarosa.com> spewed:
>>- Why is Memo Pad restricted to 15 categories?
>>
> Dunno. Shortsightedness by Palm.

The basic Palm 'database' format dates from the first Palms. It uses
one byte to store a bunch of information (e.g. whether to back it up
on hotsync, etc.) and that leaves four bits (16 possible values) for
the category. So, 15 plus 'Unfiled'. (The first Palm had 128KB of
memory... yes, *128KB*.)

It wasn't exactly shortsightedness; there were valid technical
reasons to pack things as tightly as possible. It probably would have
behooved them to allow room for growth, though. Or maybe put the
category into its own byte ("256 categories ought to be enough for
anybody, right?" :-> )

> I think there's 3rd party Memo Pad replacements though.

Yes indeedy. A lot of people like pedit, for example.

--

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"With great power comes... a whole lot of collateral damage."
- Phantom Freeze
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:41:21 PM

On 21-Feb-2005, see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> Good resources. There's also treobits.com.
> But, does anybody else DESPISE web forums as much as I do?
> They're SO cumbersome and a pain in the ass to check.
> If they don't have a thread post notifier by email they're just torture.

I'd say it just depends on ~your~ level of desire for the answers... A lot
of people use the same argument when they refuse to read a manual ;)

WyreNut

--
If you had to ~run~ for your life, how long would you live?
!