Sign in with
Your question

WIN7 Media Player fault

Last response: in Windows 7
May 9, 2010 6:43:50 AM

My problem is that after a couple of weeks of having Win7 & everything being fine, suddenly any video type item I play on Media Player has spots or random pixilating "snow" on the screen. The same thing is happening on the Screen of my Compro in built TV tuner. However if I play the same thing with VLC player there is no problem. I can even record the "hashy" TV & replay on VLC & it's all good. If I do a screen capture of the TV when it is running with the bad picture & open in ACDC or similar the picture is good. I have tried all sorts of codec packs & the latest drivers for the TV (which was OK a few weeks ago anyway) all to no avail.
Has anyone got a clue???

LyN H
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2010 6:59:37 AM

test your hardware - may be a faulty video card
m
l
May 9, 2010 7:10:01 AM

i have to ask, if you have VLC why on earth would you still want to use WMP?

if its not working, just don't use it?
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2010 4:09:10 PM

He's right. Just dump MP & use VLC or MPC
m
l
May 10, 2010 12:06:27 AM

Yeah sorry guys the WMP thing isn't my problem really & I do use VLC my problem is the screen for my on board TV card is producing the crap on the screen & I was commenting that wmp does it too. I was really wondering if there was a connection between the two? Same drivers or something. It's the TV I want to work not WMP.
I get this hash when it's operating but when I record something & replay the recording WMP has the same crap but not VLC so its not the TV card it must be something in the software somewhere yeah???
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:55:44 AM

Quote:
Sounds like it's either a graphics card driver issue, codec or just plainly a hardware issue.

Can't see why it would be a card driver issue, the tv was working fine & with no software changes anywhere the problem started. Hardware isn't right because the recorded results can be played on VLC perfectly meaning its software/codec really but I have installed every codec upgrade known to man & no change.
I have uninstalled the card programme & driver several times now & reinstalled the latest ones from the Compro site. I have refitted the card in another PCI slot too just in case, even though as I say it was working just fine for several months before this.
hutchyl
m
l
May 20, 2010 12:53:37 AM

OK guys thanks for your interest. Unfortunately no one came up with an answer but I got a clue elsewhere. I have a new motherboard that has a programme that you can open & overclock Gigabyte "Boost" I had gone to the maximum & this was causing grief to the video card. I went back to default GHZ & all OK>
m
l
!