weapon choice

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Khia is about to enter the Valley of the Dead. Now she has
the +5 Mjollnir, +2 Frost Brand, unidentified Sunsword and
a silver saber. My choice of relying on the Shield of
Reflection prevents me from #twoweapon-ing, which would be
Good with the SS as a secondary weapon.

I have spent all of my wishes, and polypiling is not a good
option now (I'd need scrolls of charging, and I have very
few scrolls that I'm willing to blank).

My choices are:
(1) Keep Mjollnir, throw it around when necessary, and have
Frosty as a backup weapon (try to enchant it up a bit more).
(note: I'm shock resistant, so it's not *too* bad if a foe
wields Mjollnir against me)

(2) Identify Sunsword, enchant it up, wield it (it's a source
of light and a good weapon against undead), and switch to
Mjollnir when I see a tough monster coming, specially a *Lich
or (M)MF (I like to kill them from a distance by throwing The
Hammer).

(3) Forget the need for reflection, #twoweapon Mojo + SS,
have some fun and then die YASD (not my personal choice).

(4) Any suggestions?

On a side note: in this particular game I'm annoyed by how
few scrolls, potions and amulets there are. Only one small
shop outside Minetown, and three shops (small again) there.
This makes it difficult for me to get blank scrolls for
writing on, and rings and amulets for polypiling. OTOH, I'm
finding many wands, maybe some polying yields /oDeath?

Manuel wrote:

> Khia is about to enter the Valley of the Dead. Now she has
> the +5 Mjollnir, +2 Frost Brand, unidentified Sunsword and
> a silver saber. My choice of relying on the Shield of
> Reflection prevents me from #twoweapon-ing, which would be
> Good with the SS as a secondary weapon.
>
> I have spent all of my wishes, and polypiling is not a good
> option now (I'd need scrolls of charging, and I have very
> few scrolls that I'm willing to blank).

You have run out of wishes and you don't have an
means of reflection other than the shield? You
have seriously wasted the wand in the Castle on
your current level. From that wand you should be
able to fill in the main gaps: reflection, MR.
Either GDSM and "oR or SDSM and [oMR. Plus other
goodies.

> My choices are:
> (1) Keep Mjollnir, throw it around when necessary, and have
> Frosty as a backup weapon (try to enchant it up a bit more).
> (note: I'm shock resistant, so it's not *too* bad if a foe
> wields Mjollnir against me)
>
> (2) Identify Sunsword, enchant it up, wield it (it's a source
> of light and a good weapon against undead), and switch to
> Mjollnir when I see a tough monster coming, specially a *Lich
> or (M)MF (I like to kill them from a distance by throwing The
> Hammer).
>
> (3) Forget the need for reflection, #twoweapon Mojo + SS,
> have some fun and then die YASD (not my personal choice).
>
> (4) Any suggestions?

Learn better wish strategy. How spoiled do you want
to be on how to use the wand in the Castle? You should
be able to #twoweapon and still have both reflection
and magic resistance.

4) Use Frost Brand as your main melee weapon, and have
Mjollnir as your backup weapon when you need to throw
it.

> On a side note: in this particular game I'm annoyed by how
> few scrolls, potions and amulets there are. Only one small
> shop outside Minetown, and three shops (small again) there.
> This makes it difficult for me to get blank scrolls for
> writing on, and rings and amulets for polypiling. OTOH, I'm
> finding many wands, maybe some polying yields /oDeath?

Magical items appear to be more common once you've
gone below the VofD, so be patient and explore deeper.