Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting a 64 bit computer to a 32 bit printer & network drive

Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2013 12:51:17 AM

I have found the reverse but have yet to find this exact problem. My computer, running Windows 7 64 bit, will recognize the printer but won't let it connect to the printer. The network drive is not even seen. Both the printer and the network drive is hosted on a computer using Windows XP 32 bit.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 1:04:45 AM

bookwormzsh said:
I have found the reverse but have yet to find this exact problem. My computer, running Windows 7 64 bit, will recognize the printer but won't let it connect to the printer. The network drive is not even seen. Both the printer and the network drive is hosted on a computer using Windows XP 32 bit.

The printer and the network drive should not have a problem being seen and working on the Windows 7 computer as long as there are 64bit drivers for both of them. With them being a shared item on a different computer, most items like this require at least basic drivers to be installed for minimal functionality.

The other thing to consider is you mentioned that you have them "hosted" on a computer running Windows XP 32bit. Are they shared on this computer so they can be seen across your network or how are they being "hosted"?

What is the make/model of the printer so we can double-check it?
What type of network drive are you using?
January 19, 2013 1:19:15 AM

The printer is a HP Laserjet Professional P1102w & the network drive is a D-Link DNS-321. They are being shared since my 32 bit laptop can see both of them.
m
l
January 20, 2013 11:05:29 PM

Best answer selected by bookwormzsh.
m
l
January 20, 2013 11:06:15 PM

Never mind, I just had to go to the hp site and download the full solution for the particular printer. The network drive just needed to be restarted.
m
l
!