Let's talk about your dream comp

G

I want to know the craziest computer that you can think about...
(Including a server setups, like dual proc, 2mb cache..)

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Here is my future PC you could say:

Northwood P4 @ 2ghz
Via PX266 or i845 - Aopen ATX mobo
512mb PC2700 SDRAM
(2)60gb ata 100 'Raid 0'
ATi radeon AIW 32mb DDR
Sound Blaster Live! platium
Aopen 10/100tx Ethernet (Cable)
16x DVD | 12x10x32x cdrw | 3 1/2 floppy
Aopen LX95 w/ Aopen 300w PS
-------
19in Aopen monitor
microsoft internet keyboard pro
Microsoft scroll mouse
Canon d1230uf - scanner
Lexmark z53 - printer

!!! Leader of the Anti Nvidia Army !!!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...one crazy setup I could think of:

Two 6 foot veritcal racks, custom designed to hold a 760MP mobo with dual 1.5GHz Palominos, one per every 2u of rack space. A third rack between the two, holding custom-designed 2u RAID chassis. Each RAID chassis would hold three hot-swap SCA hard drives and two hot-swap controller modules, each controller module having a SCSI connection to its host for data transfer and a serial connection to deliver heartbeat/failover signals. Each RAID chassis would have each controller module connected to a system in one of the other two racks, so that every RAID chassis was connected to the corresponding 2u hosts in the other two racks. Each 2u host system would be connected to the 2u host system in the other rack via a serial cable, once again for heartbeat/failover signaling. All hosts would be wired to a single copper Gigabit switch.

When any host system (or its corresponding controller module in a RAID chassis) would fail, the corresponding host system from the other rack (the one connected to the RAID chassis's second controller module) would take over. The hosts would, of course, be clustered, running Linux 2.4.4 with the latest MOSIX patches.

Not sure what I'd use it for, but it would be fun to play with!

I'd still have to keep my <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=5092" target="_new">current rig</A> around though...

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
It is a tough question since nowadays roadmaps are often changed. I can only see 3 months ahead. In three months:

1.5 GHz Athlon-4 (air cool) or 2.0 GHz Athlon-4 (Kryotech cool)
512 MB CAS2 DDR
2x 60G ATA 100 Raid0 HD
64MB DDR GeForce3

After three months, who knows? In a few years, we may be debating Pentium-9 vs Athlon-9.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Ok here goes:

Athlon4 @1.6 gigs
any mobo that has AMD chipset
512mb crucial DDR SDRAM
2 IBM deskstar 75 gigs RAID 0
SBL Platinum
TDK 12x CD-RW
Pioneer DVD (slot load)
NVIDIA Geforce 3
a T1 line
19" ctr monitor(dont care much for the LCD flats)

Oh, also my dream computer will transform to Jessica Alba each night for me when I come home from work. Yeah Baby!

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

Makaveli

Splendid
2x Palomino 1.53 ghz
AMD760 board
2x 80 gig 7200 Raio 0
1 Gig PC2400 DDR Cas 2
Soundblaster Live Platinum
21' Sony Trinitron
16x Pioneer DVD slot based
52x Creative ROm
16/10/40 Plextor Burner
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Altec Lansing ATP 5 four point surround sound
LS-120 disk drive
Ati Tv wonder USB
Ati Radeon 2
T1 line

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Dual Northwood P4 @ 2GHz
Asus dual P4 motherboard
2Gigs of PC1066 RDRAM (4.26GB/s memory bandwidth)
SCSI Ultra166 harddrives in a RAID configuration
GeForce 3 Ultra Ultra ;)
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1
DVD player, CDRW

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Raystonn im guessing your using the I850e. Via PX266 is your DDR-SDRAM chipset. Good News it doesnt use the Plague 686b southbridge.

Well i'll have to choose between i845 or PX266. If Sis, ATi, ALi make a killer chipset ill look that way too. "Remember the SiS 735 is Faster then AMD 760"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I won't be using DDR SDRAM unless they come out with a dual channel configuration and fix the read/write dead wait cycle latency issues.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"Northwood w/ i845 & PC2700 DDR will be as fast as a Northwood w/ i850e & PC1033 rdram."

Your PC2700 DDR system will give you 2.7GB/s of memory bandwidth. My PC1066 RDRAM system will be getting 4.26GB/s memory bandwidth. Your DDR system will obviously be much slower than my RDRAM system.

-Raystonn

G

coo

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Then Lets see here. If RDRAM gets all this bandwith why doesn't highend video cards use it. Well lets see here. I can have twice the RAM then you and i would have more money left then you.

G

I would definitely have to go with a Xeon processor. My friend has one and they are VERY fast!!!

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
but a solution whith two channles of ddr will probaly be along soon then which would give it 5.4gb/s compared to your 4.2gb/s now which has a higher rate of transsfer your rdram with to channles or the ddr with two channles

G

Well i dont like rdram. Well i dont know i think my Dual p3 will last till IA64 desktop computing.

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
This is all I ask for. A computer that is graceful. Is that too much to ask for. For example, it shouldn't crash, hang or anything else like that. If some corupt code is released in memory, it should be able to load a reserve kernel or something into a clean portion of the memory, then save all data in all programs, close them and clean the memory.

Once computers are that reliable and are capable of running at lower power than a video recorder like 20watts, I would get a couple of systems and wire them up to everything in the house except for primary power controls and security systems. And have one remote control or voice recognition (or both) to control everything.

Also, it would make sense to still keep the hardwired controls to use as failsafe. A single switch override will also be sensible.

That is all I ask for. And of course holograms and stuff.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I hope there will be dual-channel DDR. If it works, it will beat RDRAM hands down. However, I am not sure about it because of the pin count. I wonder what will be the specs for MB and chipset for 128-bit wide memory bus. In any event, DDR will still have the advantage over RDRAM in terms of memory latency, which in many cases is the key to performance rather than the max bandwidth.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

G

my dream computer hmm

my tower would be of a naked chic
prefferably from s club 7 any one of those girls

Dual Poly
hmmm

what else?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
My dream computer? We are talking Star Trek/2050/fantasy/near future (ha ha) here?

Well, you guys can all play with your desktops, towers and rackmounts.

I want an implanted/wearable/palmtop computing interface with voice recognition, gigabit roaming wireless network interface with bio-security, solid state multi-terabyte storage (storage is negotiable v.s. good comms capability, but it is always good to have a local replica of your calendar :smile: ), neural/optical interface capability with backup voice recognition capability. Of course I don't want to change the batteries more than once a month so it had better be efficient... This may be a semi-organic implant device, or a modificaion to our own neural strata, in which case power is not so much of an issue. I guess in that case coffee is the way to overclock!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Dream Comp? Well, I just started ordering the parts for a comp that's pretty close to everything I wanted.

Athlon 1.333
MSI K7-Master-S
512 MB PC2100 2.5 Crucial/Micron DDR-RAM
Antec SX1240 full-tower
Promise Fasttrack ATA 100 RAID Controller
2x IBM DTLA 307030 hard-drives
Plextor Plex. 16x10x40x
Creative PC-DVD 12x with decoder card
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
Elsa Gladiac 920 (Geforce3)
Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 digital 6pc speaker set

G

First my Dream PC:

Dual Northwood's 2GHz (At least)
Asus P4X266 Server version mobo (It has dual channel DDR)
Dual Channel 1GB ECC PC2700 (Maybe PC2100 I'll explain below) CAS2 DDR
3-way 180GB SCSI3 RAID 0 Array
GeForce3 Ultra
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
Fastest DVD and CD-RW with a Hardware Decoder for DVD
Best speakers

Now. I just will make a few comments. There is no doubt in my mind that DDR in a single channel format will never compete with PC800/PC1066 RDRAM on Northwood or Williamette. Once you add Dual Channel DDR it gets more interesting. Dual Channel PC2700 (With 5.4GB/ps) should kick Dual PC1066 RDRAM's (4.2GB/ps) ass with more Bandwidth and lower latency. The only thing that I will add is that it is possible that Dual PC2100 DDR could perform slightly better on Northwood than Dual PC2700. Why? With PC2700 DDR, the Memory bus is operating at 166.5MHz (333MHz DDR), while Northwood's FSB is operating at 133MHz (533MHz QDR). In other words, the Memory Bus and Front Side Bus aren't operating in sync, and time and time again has proven that it is better for these buses should run in sync (Providing better latnecy cause in the case of PC2700 the 166.5MHz Signal coming from the memory has to be converted to the 133MHz signal that the FSB transmitts) So there is a slight chance that PC2100 could perform better because it would be in sync with Northwood's FSB, at least that's my theory. Only benchys could prove my theory. Does that make sense?