Bag of rats, part 2

According to Skip
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an equal
chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
the sizes of the creatures in question....

So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.

It has the disadvantage that you lose your Dex bonus, but for some
characters this is not a significant issue.

If mice are unavailable, you might like to use a handful of woodlice
instead. Assuming 20 woodlice per handful, this should save you from
quite a lot of arrows. For a start, a woodlouse will have an AC of
about 18 so they're quite survivable. Even with a mere 1 hp, they
don't die until -10 so there's a fair chance that each will take 2
arrows.

This raises a point. I imagine that the average horse has fleas,
probably several thousand of them. The fleas are attempting to grapple
the horse, but are unsuccessful because they're more than 2 sizes
smaller. It's probably a good thing, or a mangy fleabitten nag would
be all but immune to missiles.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Jim Davies wrote:
> According to Skip
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
> if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an
equal
> chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
> the sizes of the creatures in question....
>
> So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
> next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
> another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
> you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
> implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.

You could just glue them on a cloak and don it as neccessary. No more
worries about those 1000 archers on the wall of the castle you are
attacking even though they need 20's to hit you.

- Justisaur

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Jim Davies wrote:
>> According to Skip
>> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
>> if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an
> equal
>> chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
>> the sizes of the creatures in question....
>>
>> So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
>> next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
>> another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
>> you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
>> implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.
>>

> You could just glue them on a cloak and don it as neccessary. No more
> worries about those 1000 archers on the wall of the castle you are
> attacking even though they need 20's to hit you.
>
> - Justisaur

Ick.

Glue rodents to a cloak? Just think of the poo to have to deal with all the
time....

Jerry Chesko wrote:

> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jim Davies wrote:
>>
>>>According to Skip
>>>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
>>>if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an
>>
>>equal
>>
>>>chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
>>>the sizes of the creatures in question....
>>>
>>>So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
>>>next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
>>>another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
>>>you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
>>>implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.
>>>

>>You could just glue them on a cloak and don it as neccessary. No more
>>worries about those 1000 archers on the wall of the castle you are
>>attacking even though they need 20's to hit you.
>>
>>- Justisaur
>>

> Ick.
>
> Glue rodents to a cloak? Just think of the poo to have to deal with all the
> time....
Meh. Just glue tiny little bags of holding to their bottoms. Insert
wee decanters of endless water if you want them to have bidets.

-Will

Jim Davies wrote:
> According to Skip
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
> if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an equal
> chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
> the sizes of the creatures in question....
>
> So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
> next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
> another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
> you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
> implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.
>
> It has the disadvantage that you lose your Dex bonus, but for some
> characters this is not a significant issue.
>
> If mice are unavailable, you might like to use a handful of woodlice
> instead. Assuming 20 woodlice per handful, this should save you from
> quite a lot of arrows. For a start, a woodlouse will have an AC of
> about 18 so they're quite survivable. Even with a mere 1 hp, they
> don't die until -10 so there's a fair chance that each will take 2
> arrows.
>
> This raises a point. I imagine that the average horse has fleas,
> probably several thousand of them. The fleas are attempting to grapple
> the horse, but are unsuccessful because they're more than 2 sizes
> smaller. It's probably a good thing, or a mangy fleabitten nag would
> be all but immune to missiles.
>
> --
> Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim
>
> D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Of course, since you're holding the mouse in one hand remember to take a
-20 on that grapple check.

Jim Davies wrote:
> This raises a point. I imagine that the average horse has fleas,
> probably several thousand of them. The fleas are attempting to
grapple
> the horse, but are unsuccessful because they're more than 2 sizes
> smaller. It's probably a good thing, or a mangy fleabitten nag would
> be all but immune to missiles.

OT Nit:

Actually, no. Most flea species do not like horses and will choose
something else. Horse stables are remarkably flea-free. So much so that
horse breath and horse manure were used as cures for the plague
because people noticed that grooms, carters and other people who worked
around horses stayed healthier than the general population.

On the other hand, horses do have fly-larvae and other insects in their
coats, so your points stands.

Silveraxe.

In <xuM1e.1359$k57.1307@fed1read07> Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> writes:

>Jim Davies wrote:
>> According to Skip
>> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
>> if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an equal
>> chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
>> the sizes of the creatures in question....
>>
>> So carry a bag of trussed-up mice and hold one in your left hand the
>> next time you charge into arrow fire. When it dies, drop it and grab
>> another one from the bag. Quick Draw will be useful here. Ideally
>> you'd have a mouse in each hand and one in your teeth, though Skip
>> implies that you need both hands to hold one mouse.
>>
>> It has the disadvantage that you lose your Dex bonus, but for some
>> characters this is not a significant issue.
>>
>> If mice are unavailable, you might like to use a handful of woodlice
>> instead. Assuming 20 woodlice per handful, this should save you from
>> quite a lot of arrows. For a start, a woodlouse will have an AC of
>> about 18 so they're quite survivable. Even with a mere 1 hp, they
>> don't die until -10 so there's a fair chance that each will take 2
>> arrows.
>>
>> This raises a point. I imagine that the average horse has fleas,
>> probably several thousand of them. The fleas are attempting to grapple
>> the horse, but are unsuccessful because they're more than 2 sizes
>> smaller. It's probably a good thing, or a mangy fleabitten nag would
>> be all but immune to missiles.

Aha, the _REAL_ reason for increasing HD - high level characters
have more fleas to share the damage.

--
Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply

Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:
>According to Skip
>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
>if you're grappling, any missiles shot into your hex(es) have an equal
>chance to hit you or the creature(s) you're grappling, regardless of
>the sizes of the creatures in question....

Vermin are a special case. Besides, this is at least part 3 of "Bag of
rats", since I pointed out when XPsiHB and CW came out that there was
a Great Cleave combo that would explicitly work with a BoR (and someone
else pointed out that it didn't because rats were vermin).

Donald