Sign in with
Your question

I think I goofed, need help!

Tags:
  • Brother
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 28, 2002 5:34:11 PM

I formatted my brother's hard drive mainly because we were going to put the full version of XP pro on there, but other reasons as well. I had a boot disk and used it to boot up with cd-rom available. when I put in the windows xp pro cd nothing happens. if I got to the drive(e:)  I can't run in from there either(says: can't run this in dos mode). I did this on my comp no more than a month ago, but can't seem to get it to work on my brother's. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Nosaj

More about : goofed

December 28, 2002 6:36:02 PM

In your computer's Bios, set it to boot from CD-Rom first. Insert the XP CD in the drive and restart the machine. It should install XP without the need to use a boot disk. This is the way I've done it dozens of times. Also, I let setup format the disk for me. Much more convenient. You can set to format and walk away. It will automatically begin installing Windows files when it's done formatting.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --
December 28, 2002 7:07:52 PM

Quote:
I had a boot disk and used it to boot up with cd-rom available. when I put in the windows xp pro cd nothing happens.

That bootdisk only works if you install Win 98 or WinME. Put your Win XP CD and change boot order to boot from CD-ROM first.
If you can't, you can download WinXP setup disks from <b><A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI..." target="_new"><font color=blue>Microsoft</A></b></font color=blue> to make floppy bootdisk (4 disks).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
!