Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby86

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Solution
Well dont worry the 5650 is a powerfull card i have the acer 4820tg with the 6550m which is practically the same higher cpu core speed and a higher voltage but they are literally the same. I play bfbc2 on high with no hbao,bloom and shadows on low in a 32man server with aa off i get about 45fps with 4xmsaa i get 35fps on 1366x768.

bobby86

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I should add laptop requirements and/or uses. This would be my first laptop with no real intended purpose beyond maybe streaming and/or integrated with htpc. Of course gaming is always desireable.
Thanks,
bobby

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
what type of games are you gonna be playing? because the acer has a dedicated gpu which is good for gaming. while the asus has intel graphics not good for gaming. THe asus does have a better cpu.

bobby86

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I should note that the acer has already been purchased, just not shipped yet. I should have researched more; but I kinda got excited about the price. I haven't gamed much recently, when I do it will be mostly wow,eq and if the games got too intense, I can go downstairs to the main rig. I was mostly wanting the laptop for streaming,netflix,htpc.
With that in mind the better cpu and BD caused me to pause a second.
What I really want is a desktop replacement on a netbook budget -)
I have a decent budget; but with plans for a new card downstairs, laptop, and either a htpc or push2tv etc. the budget gets tight real quick. I have to sleep next to the family accountant ;-)
It's a "flexible $1,000" with too many plans.
Thanks for the time,
bobby

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Well dont worry the 5650 is a powerfull card i have the acer 4820tg with the 6550m which is practically the same higher cpu core speed and a higher voltage but they are literally the same. I play bfbc2 on high with no hbao,bloom and shadows on low in a 32man server with aa off i get about 45fps with 4xmsaa i get 35fps on 1366x768.

Solution

bobby86

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice Espada and Mazlar. Since the laptop was never inteded to be a gamer, or htpc, it will do just fine. I have spent way too much time looking/thinking well for another x$ I could go gt540, or BD, etc.
Manufacturers live off this nonsense, or they would just offer only a few models and/or prices - budget,midlevel,gamer, and so on. It certainly would never be worth the order cancel, wait for refund, re-order, even if I did find a good deal. It would just be easier to pick up a player for the living room. And with to option to game I certainly want the dedicated card. It's been fun reading the posts; and I've learned a lot. Thank you so much for the time. Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.