Sign in with
Your question

Cpu Cooling Software?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2001 4:35:19 AM

Greetings Everyone,
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on Software that is suppose to help keep CPU's cool? I have seen several that claim this ability but have yet to see any real results. Also wondering if there is merit to this software what the best ones might be?

More about : cpu cooling software

May 20, 2001 4:50:30 AM

The only way software can cool your CPU is by instructing the motherboard to throttle down the CPU to lower speeds. You don't really want this unless your CPU is overheating and could be damaged. If this is the case I'd suggest getting a better heatsink and/or fan.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
May 20, 2001 5:04:39 AM

Actually Ray this is not quite correct. Most software designed to cool your CPU will inactivate itself under load. The only time that it does throttle down your cpu is when it is at idle. Seeing that it is at idle throttling down it not such a bad idea. However, most of these programs do introduce a small amount of lag do to the time it takes the software to detect the load increase to your cpu. If your idle temps are a bit higher than you wish then you can give them a try. CPUcool and CPUidle are two nice such programs. If you have a via chipset board there is another way to help your temps at idle by using wpcredit and enableing a function in the chipset that most bios's do not seem to activate. Wpcredit is however a powerfull program and should not be taken lightly. for more information on this go here:

<A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/tweakvia1.htm" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com/tweakvia1.htm&lt;/A>

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Related resources
May 20, 2001 5:22:22 AM

When you say I'm not quite correct, I assume you're talking about this line: "You don't really want this unless your CPU is overheating and could be damaged." When your CPU is idle, it is naturally cooler. If you wish it to be even cooler than that and conserve energy, then yes I would agree with you. Throttling down when Idle is a good idea. It is especially a good idea in laptops.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
May 20, 2001 5:51:34 AM

this is the basis of speedstep or power now! or is that more advance/simple?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2001 6:49:41 AM

It is actually much simpler. The x86 instruction set includes a HALT instruction that shuts down parts of the cpu for a certain period of time.
Although this seems counter-productive, consider all the time Windows sits in an idle state when the system is waiting for user inpuut. By executing the HALT instruction durring the OS's normal wait cycles, certain parts of the CPU are shut down for minuter periods of time. Consequently, the temperature of the CPU can be lowered considerably.
Since the Win9x series of OS's does not use the HALT instruction, programs such as CPUIdle, CPUCool, and Rain were built to fulfill this deficiency. All these programs do is to execute HALT. In order to prevent the CPU to slow down when it is needed most, these cooling programs are assigned a minimal priority, meaning they will only be run when no other programs are requesting CPU time.

Other OS's do support this by default, including linux. I an not sure on the NT situation, hopefully this can be filled in later.

On the otherhand, speedstep and power now! systems actively change the frequency and voltage of the cpu to give the user the performance they require, while conserving power consumption. For instance, a hypothetical situation is on in which a 1GHz machine running at full voltage is only 20% utilized. In this case, the CPU can be throttled down to <=500MHz at a lower voltage to give a CPU utilization close to 50% or more, while drawing much less power (and of course, at a lower temperature).

I hope this better answers your questions.

I have tried both Rain (ver 1&2), and CPUIdle, and the results were not all they were cracked up to be, but there was some difference (~4C difference). However, the Wpcredit did offer significant differences. My TBird 1GHz now idles at about 34C instead of 43C before the mod. This is not a recommended solution for everyone, as it involves changing one of the low-level registers in the chipset.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.
May 20, 2001 7:00:35 AM

Windows NT and 2000 have the idle feature built in.
go to task manager, look under the process tab. its usually the first on the list.
Also, to verify, run CPU cool or CPU idle on an NT/2000 machine and watch the processor temp. it hardly deviates from the standard temp at all.

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 5:32:51 AM

Greetings:
I would like to thank everyone for your input to my question concerning Cpu Cooling Software. Thanks to everyones input I have pretty much decided against any additions to my program list :)  My CPU is running around 50C at full capacity anyways. Not bad but could be better :(  Thanks again
May 21, 2001 12:30:18 PM

My "software" CPU cooler actually caused my CPU to heat up!

It launched itself as a process and seem very happy to
consume 100% ALL THE TIME. The thing was probably
checking the CPU temp. What it was supposed to do
was control the RPMs of my HSF, which of course caused
my fan to spin at max and thus generate alot of noise.

I say forget it.. not worth it.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
May 21, 2001 7:33:31 PM

Quote:
The x86 instruction set includes a HALT instruction that shuts down parts of the cpu for a certain period of time

I thought ACPI had this built into it. My Duron run 3-4 degrees cooler at idle with ACPI enabled.

Windows 98SE
May 21, 2001 7:48:40 PM

I've tried the register 52 trick mentioned in that article and got very bizzare results.

The article mentions that setting register 52 to EB hex will lower CPU idle tempatures at least 10 degrees. When I tried this with my Duron/Abit KT7 combo, Motherboard Monitor (4.18) did indeed report temperatures to drop 10 degrees but it did not stop there. The reported temperature dropped below the motherboard board temperature. (Note that this is not possible!) At a reported temperature of about 25 degrees C (my motherboard was at 27 degrees) my system would always crash either by rebooting itself or reporting an exception error in Kernel32.dll and sometimes other programs.

I'm not sure what the register 52 trick is really doing but I can't use it.
May 21, 2001 9:59:42 PM

That is indeed odd, I have tried this on three differnt boards to date ( but not yours) and have had great success. Idle temps are in the 30-32 degree range and have not had any stablity issues so far. Does seem to be working for you just a little to well.

May 21, 2001 10:19:31 PM

I plan on getting one of those Radio Shack dual probe thermometers (sometime). I am curious whether the hack really lowers the CPU temperature or is just mucking with the register.

In that article, the author mentioned that on some boards the tweak is automatically enable but on others, especially with Durons, it is not. I have a Duron. I wonder if that is the problem.
May 21, 2001 10:25:12 PM

I have confirmed lower temps using an asus board with a temp monitor. Though not exactly accurate the asus temp monito probe is hardware based. I really wouldn't call Wpcredit a hack, it can do other things as well. For instance I use it to lower my Cas latencies from 3 to 2 ( a feature not available on many OEM boards). This I confirmed by running SiSsandra and noted a significant memory bandwith increase.

May 21, 2001 11:04:21 PM

Sorry, I was not talking about Wpcredit which is a very valuable tool. I was only talking about the register 52 hack.

The KT7 has hardware also, a thermister mounted under the CPU. Doesn't really matter to me what is going on because I can't use the hack, anyway.

Thanks for your replies.
May 22, 2001 12:12:55 AM

if you have an asus mb,
you can download utilites that doo that
they stop the processor from executing pointless commands
i watched it using the cpu temp monitor and it had a big effect
when i WASNT using it
my cellery500 peaked at 51 degC under full load
go to idle though and the temp quickly dropped exponentially till it sat at about 25-30, a few degrees above room temp.
so they do work, but only when your not using it greatly, also they do consume a fraction of your processor capacity
and i noticed that when it was running OTHER cpu monitoring programs got confused and said the processor was running 100% all the time *grin*

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars
!