P4 vs. Athlon 1333... vs PIII?

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
I was just looking at the review of the Pentium4 1.7 GHz chip. Does it really suck that badly in comparison to the Athlons? I honestly didn't know what 62.3% of the numbers in that review meant, so I'd appreciate some kind of analogy from someone.... also, how would a P4 1.7GHz match up with a PIII 500MHz?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
That depends a lot on the application and how well it scales across multiple CPUs. In some cases, the dual P3 system is faster, in some cases, it's not.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
But more programs will be dual cpu ready. Look at Programming C++ you can compile 2x as fast. Autocad You need SMP or you have 1 hell of video card. SMP is the next wave. Well i would not be surpized if Intel or AMD make SMP in 1 chip.

!!! Leader of the Anti Nvidia Army !!!

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
The P4 is not great... yet.

The chip is a bit like a bottle of wine, it will improve with age. Once Northwood arrives there should be plenty of optimised code for it, and it will deliver far better real performance than today.

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek:

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Nope... this isn't the Xerxes you're looking for... I just randomly chose this name after the dude from System Shock (but i'm sure I spelled his name wrong...) I was at one point elefant over in Tribes about 1 or 2 years ago and I played UR3 a whole lot.....

G

What really has been demonstrated with the 1.7GHz P4 is that it really depends on the application. The Athlon excels in Busness, Web apps. The P4 1.7GHz beats the Athlon in video apps, and encoding.