Sign in with
Your question

Some help please!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2001 3:24:43 PM

Need some help should i get the p4 with 512 or 256mb of rdram800? I heard that having 512 is actually slower but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I plan on playing games mostly so does 512 make a difference or should i just stick to 256 they are in 128mb sticks btw. Thanks for the help

More about : question

May 20, 2001 6:31:01 PM

You can safely ignore the response from 'Soup' above. It was not an intelligent response to your original question.

"Need some help should i get the p4 with 512 or 256mb of rdram800?"

This actually depends on what you plan on doing with your machine. You say you are going to mostly play games. Today's games don't really require more than 256MB of memory. Tomorrow's games might. I would suggest you stick with 256MB of memory (2 128MB sticks). You still have room to upgrade with more memory later on. Also, grab the leaked Detonator 12.10 drivers. With these drivers and a P4 1.7GHz you should have better overall gaming performance than with any other CPU on the market.

A retail P4 1.7GHz, which includes the CPU, heatsink, fan, and a 3 year Intel warranty, currently costs $360. The two 128MB PC800 sticks of RDRAM come to $156. The cheapest P4 motherboard is $145, but the best (the Asus P4T) is $178.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
May 20, 2001 7:11:51 PM

Post deleted by soup20000
Related resources
May 20, 2001 7:17:24 PM

Actually no. The closest you came to answering his question was "And to answer your question... I cant". You then proceeded to continue by telling him he won't be able to do anything with his P4, which is a far cry from the truth.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
May 20, 2001 7:49:15 PM

Cool down kiddies...

Well the truth is both CPUs kick ass... I believe AMD goes for raw power while Intel relies on future software support for their processors. Currently, the Thunderbird is kicking butt with pure speed while Pentium 4 awaits software support so it can return the butt kicking in the future.

It seems IntelOG already made a decision on which CPU so to answer your question, IntelOG, I would go for 256MB of RDRAM. But there's one thing you need to clarify. Are you going to use this system for everyday gaming or are you going to do some serious graphics development on this? If it's gaming, then 256MB is enough. Make sure your motherboard has at least 4 RDRAM slots (which it probably does) cause RDRAM is paired (just in case you didn't know)
May 21, 2001 5:04:45 AM

I think you would be best off going with a stick of 256mb now and get another 256mb in 12-14 months when games start getting more advanced

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 6:39:59 AM

AMD is the way to go
cheaper
faster
better

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
May 21, 2001 7:25:09 AM

I don't think he asked for your opinion on what processor to get, thanks. We all know your preferences. Let others have theirs.

-Raystonn

May 21, 2001 7:26:13 AM

Dual channel memory requires 2 sticks at a time, one for each channel. He will need two 128MB sticks.

-Raystonn

May 22, 2001 4:17:43 AM

Post deleted by soup20000
May 22, 2001 5:52:29 AM

Quote:
I don't think he asked for your opinion on what processor to get, thanks. We all know your preferences. Let others have theirs."

So If a person you love thinks they should kill themself because they think it is the only way out you will support them because its their opinion. Because they did not ask for your opinion you should not say anything or help them?

or

I think this 486DX2 33 is super fast. But I am 70 years old and have never used a computer. Now you will support me because its my opinion?

AMD for Life!

dude, ITS A PROCESSOR, NOT A LIFE. GET A CLUE.
1. you come in this guys post pretty much calling him a dumbass for thinking of buying a P4. you're a prick.
2. you didn't offer any technical information.
3. if a 486dx2 33 (which doesn't exist, btw) does fine for the software the 70 year old uses, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS...
and if the 70 year old gives out an opinion on something he knows nothing about, he's an idiot.

yes, I'm in a crappy mood today, just sick of pricks and children speaking on subjects they don't understand.

as far as the memory goes, my 128 megs isn't cutting it anymore, go with as much as you can get. If you can get a good deal on two 256MB sticks, go for it. With the latency it would add, I don't think I'd want 4 128MB RIMMs in there.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 7:54:17 AM

That's your opinion and you're entitled to have it. It wouldn't be a highly reliable opinion, but it's yours none-the-less. I fully disagree with your opinion on the Pentium 4 as well. But hey, you're welcome to have it.

-Raystonn

May 22, 2001 11:38:44 AM

Hum... I have to agree. The guy didn't ask what processor to buy, he has seemed to already of made that choice. His question had nothing to do with other processors like other than the p4. If you do not have any thing constructive to say towards his question, then <b> shut it</b>. People like you and t-bird are as bad as the intel lemmings you hate just as much. I am currently running an athlon system and that suits my needs. I was running a 1 ghz p3. The northwood looks like the most promising step toward actual processor advancement as of right now. All AMD is doing it making an old horse run faster. The next promissing thing from them has got to be the hammer chips, but we shall see. Quit flaming and be nice people. Also thinking every once and a while would be <b> great!</b> :smile:

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 2:49:37 PM

"I heard that having 512 is actually slower but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I plan on playing games mostly"

I heard the same. if I recall correctly, having 4 sticks of RDRAM causes an extra wait cycle. Im sure Raystonn could tell you more..

Anyway, I dont really think you'll ever notice the difference though. Also, 256 is plenty today, especially for games, but if you dont have to pay for, why not get 512 ? Windows XP might like it. If you have to pay for it yourself, have dinner with your girlfriend instead.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
May 22, 2001 2:56:41 PM

JESUS...If you don't have a reply that will offer any help to the originator of the post SHUT THE FUUCK UP!!! He didn't ask what kind of processor you thought was better..so why is that the answer he gets? Then insulting him for his choice of processors..you AMD guys need to get a life and quit feeling so insecure that you have to bombard Intel users with your shiitty propoganda. This might be a decent message board if people could stick to the topic, but no.....someone always has to start the intel-amd thing. Everyone makes mistakes..don't try to fix yours by getting other people to make it, so you don't feel like such a dumbass.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scarywoody on 05/22/01 10:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 3:13:06 PM

"JESUS...If you don't have a reply that will offer any help to the originator of the post SHUT THE FUUCK UP!!! "

And just why are you flaming me for this, if I may ask ? I *was* giving the guy an answer.. unlike yourself..

May 22, 2001 4:20:54 PM

I wasn't flaming you..I was flaming the people that brought this thread to another intel-amd debate. Your post was what we need more of (It actually answered the original post). I didn't answer because I really have no clue what the best answer is. Normally I wouldn't say anything on a thread I don't have the answer to, but it pisses me off when someone asks a very specific question, and then they get responses like get amd its cheaper better yak yak yak. I apologize, I did not mean for it to appear I was flaming you.
May 22, 2001 6:14:39 PM

To directly answer the question i will go for 2x64 2x128 intel gave you the 2 stick of 64 or sold the 2 stick of 64 and buy (if you can 2x256).
All intel user will stick with ASUS for mobo.
IBM deskstar ata/100 good choice too
GEFORCE3 wait for the RAGEON 2 or dont buy 1 for now wait if you use a old comp like my you would see a big improvement and a others big improvement when buy a graphic card.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 7:18:06 PM

"it pisses me off when someone asks a very specific question, and then they get responses like get amd its cheaper better yak yak yak"

Welcome to the THG forums.. Go ahead, try, post just about *any* question with either intel of amd in the title, and its guaranteed to end up in an AMD vs Intel flame war.. sometimes a bit civilised, often quite useless. If you dont like amd vs intel threads, I can only advise you to check out another forum, such as Aces'..

"I apologize, I did not mean for it to appear I was flaming you. "

I figured that much, but next trime, click the reply button next to a post that is flaming.. I was actually trying to get this thread back on its tracks.

Cheers

!