SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, I would have to say that the only way to succeed would be by jumping the FSB up to 100MHz through a jumper. This would get your CPU up to 750MHz, since the CPU multiplier is x7.5. Since this is an OEM board, there is nothing in between 66MHz (current FSB) and 100MHz (FSB for P3) Now, it's the 810 chipset, so I don't know much about the compatiblity with other processors, although it sounds like there is quite a range to get. All Intel CPUs have multipliers locked, so it is not possible to overclock through that mean. The only other possible way is through the BIOS, but since it is a retail PC, I would have to say that the chances of a FSB adjustment is nil. So, you can try jumping the FSB to 100MHz, but I will warn you that you run a good chance of making the system unstable, if it is able to POST (Power on Self Test). Plus, increasing the CPU speed by that much will make the heat output alot higher, and with a stock HSF, you might end up with the a CPU that will shut off due to heat.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.

G

You can. It involves a risky process, but check <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">this link</A> for the lowdown. It involves closing a pin off on the CPU.

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Sorry man, but Kirby already asked this in that thread, and got an overwhelming no. It seems that the only way left is to hope to God that the CPU can handle 750MHz, but I kinda doubt it. I suggest buying a newer Cerleron, like the 600MHz-750MHz. I hear those overclock well if that isn't fast enough, and I think that they will work in your current motherboard.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, you have the PPGA Celron (Katmai core), not the FC-PGA Celeron (Coppermine core). It can't be overclocked much beyond 550MHz from ANY stock speed. It's the limit of the design. The link the other guy posted was for Coppermine cores only, which are the 533 FC-PGA and above (566 and up are all Coppermine, but the 533 was available in both versions). The CHEAPEST thing you can get to upgrade AND overclock is the Celeron 566 which will go to 850 using the tricks on that link, and only cost $43. The next cheapest is the Celeron 600 ($48), which goes to 900 using the trick. The Celeron 633 ($50) SHOULD go to 950 using the trick but is more risky. Any Celeron beyond that is a no-go. The trick also works on PIII -E processors from 500-700MHz, using the BSEL1 pin instead to go to 133 instead of 100.
I'm sorry to inform you that this trick is likely the only way you can overclock ANY processor on your motherboard, as HP orders their boards with the manual bus speed jumpers (and associated parts) removed, and uses proprietary BIOS. So your cheapest alternatives will COST you $43-$50.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sorry man... no luck for you
the cellery 500 kinda sucked for overclocking... it was the last for the 0.25 micro core. the 566 and 600 were much better cauz they were made on the 0.18 micron core.
i had one 500 on a asus mobo, and all i could get the FSB up to was 75
i.e. 75mhzFSB * 7.5 = 562.
it just locked solid at either 83 or 100, thats using nice cas2 pc100 ram and ensuring that the pci cards wernt overclocked...infact i tried them underclocked and it still would get through the memory count.
at least it ran very stable at 562 at about 49 deg C.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

So socket 370 supports FCPGA and PPGA? Which is the best celeron of choice for me to overclock with? Will I see a big performance? And thanx for your guys' help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PPGA is the original socket 370 chip. Meaning that it is the oldest. It won't go over 550MHz in most cases.

The FC-PGA Celeron is based on the Pentium III and can normally be overclocked to about 950. It actually IS a PIII with half the cache disabled. For a much lower price.

Open the side of your case and get me the model number of the motherboard inside, so that I can make sure it is compatable with Coppermine CPUs. It should be. HP used Asus motherboards, you should find a number inside such as MEW-AM, probably between some PCI slots. Also check to find out what the Northbridge is by model number. HP had some boards custom made with newer chipsets than those listed at Asus' website (such as a MEW-AM with the 810E chipset that I own, which is PIII compatable, whereas the original Asus motherboard was not).

G

Crashman- I opened up the case but I didn't have much time to look for the number, howeever, my older brother never uses his comp so I was thinking I could maybe switch the cpu's? He has a 566 celeron, I have a 500. Will it hurt my system at all to try? Can I damage my system in any way by just switching the cpu's? He has an HP computer too.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can try that. It won't hurt the motherboard. Make sure you have heatsink paste on the heatsink, if it doesn't give you the correct CPU information in BIOS at boot, shut it off.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe, but I think he would still need BIOS with the Coppermine microcode. If his motherboard does not support the Copperming, HP won't release newer BIOS for it.

G

BAD NEWS!!!! Ok so I tried switching my cpu with my older bro's, and it didn't work :( On my socket, it says PGA, and on my lder bro's, it says FPGA. So yea I guess I will build my duron system, unless those converter things are all they're cracked up to be... Anyone have any experience with them, know of any drawbacks, pros, cons, what not... Anything will help.
And also, while putting my case back on I severed one string of my ide cable going to my hard drive... so i stripped the insulation off both ends, and twisted them together, VIOLA. Wierd but it works.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kirby824 on 05/25/01 02:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

powerleap are o.k.([-peep-] hard to release the chip once its in it new home), but its just more cash that you can use toward the duron............

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

G

sorry. cannt help on that one, but maybe invest in the future of the new mobo - get powersupply with at least 180W on combined 3.3&5V rails, (250/300W allup)

hope that helps

p.s. my case - Macase KA-80?? (180W/250W) filtered intake fan at front - very neat.

p.p.s sorry - sometimes better to sell what you have and start again / sometimes not! my advice - do your research and dont be in a rush / better to buy gear all at once (it works that way here in ozzy)
however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mutman on 05/26/01 03:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check powerleap.com first. that card is only 50 bucks if it works for your system.

Avoid AMD, you think you got problems now... you might as well buy a whole new machine if you go that route. (case, PS, memory, CPU, old HD slow? video card old and slow? what other parts are built into HP? sound card?

If the Powerleap works for your machine you can get decent Mhz for about $100 bucks. thats about the cost of a new motherboard for the duron alone.