Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Speakers
  • Audio
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2013 5:17:40 AM

Hai,

I have been having some mightily annoying problems with my motherboard audio drivers in the past couple of months, this is my last resort coming here. I am hopeful that this vast community will be able to help me.

Here are my specs:
CPU: i5 760 @ 3.0ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770 ( GV-R577UD)
Speakers: 5.1 Logitech Z506
Monitor: acer v243HQ (Using the dvi cable)

Okay, I will start from the start:

A couple of months ago I bought some new 5.1 speakers (nothing great, but I had a gift voucher that was going to expire in a couple of days). So, I set them up (physically). I then downloaded a dolby digital surround testing video. I quickly found out that the new speakers were in a stereo configuration. I went to the realtek driver and put it into "5.1 speaker" setting but as soon as I had clicked on the 5.1 setting it had reverted to stereo. I tried using every other setting but it kept reverting straight after I clicked on the option.

I then updated my realtek driver to the latest one at the time. But then, once I updated, I got another more series problem. The little speaker icon in the system tray had a red X through it.

When I hovered over the icon it said "no speakers or headphones are plugged in". I have googled the problem extensively but I can't get any result to get it working again.

I even did a system restore from before the audio drivers were updated. An odd thing happened, most applications: media players, games, etc. had no audio at all. So I have been stuck in a lurch for over 2 months.

Also, here is a screenshot of the "Playback" devices area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : audio driver

January 24, 2013 10:50:32 PM

A hopeful bump.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
January 24, 2013 10:57:21 PM

Apansyy said:
A hopeful bump.

First and foremost: Don't bump the thread :non: 
We are a busy group and will get to you as quick as possible.

As for the sound issue, have you attempted to roll back the drivers from within Device Manager? You may also want to attempt removing the drivers from within Safe Mode and restart to see what drivers Windows loads by default. Which audio drivers did you update it with? from Realtek directly or Gigabytes site?

The one from Gigabyte can be found HERE .

Quote:

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition) 5.10.0.6642 118.29 MB 2012/10/25

I would try that one first and if that doesn't help we can move on from there.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2013 2:49:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. And I will now know for the future about bumping.

Okay, I have installed the Realtek audio driver that you linked. And I get the little red X over the speaker icon.

I will try rolling back the drivers through device manager.

Edit:

After rolling the driver back I immediately got confronted with a popup.

The display I am using does not have any audio output, nor do I run it with an HDMI cable.

Edit2: A restart did nothing to help the rollback.

Edit3: I have tried both drivers from realtek and gigabyte.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
January 26, 2013 3:46:17 AM

Apansyy said:
Thanks for the reply. And I will now know for the future about bumping.

Okay, I have installed the Realtek audio driver that you linked. And I get the little red X over the speaker icon. http://puu.sh/1SL63.png

I will try rolling back the drivers through device manager.

Edit:

After rolling the driver back I immediately got confronted with a popup.
http://puu.sh/1SLe0
The display I am using does not have any audio output, nor do I run it with an HDMI cable.

Edit2: A restart did nothing to help the rollback.

Edit3: I have tried both drivers from realtek and gigabyte.

This may sound a bit trivial but when you went to Device Manager (which is what I assume you did) what component did you click on to go into and rollback the driver?

Looks like there is a similar issue already in the forums found HERE but it's more in relation to the AMD (ATI) chipset.
m
l
January 27, 2013 9:55:17 PM

I rolled back "Realtek High Definition Audio" but not the "ATI HDMI Audio" driver.

I doubt it is in relation to the thread you linked. The Audio stopped working after I updated the drivers, restoring to a restore point makes the driver work partially.
m
l